- - - - -

Overclocking a P3 550????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ezy_*

Guest_Ezy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

Hey guys it's been so good having a forum like this one..
Would really appreciate some help on overclocking my p3 ... i'm newbie and would really appreciate some help on the exact steps that i should follow...

TIA....

#2 A+Net+MCP

A+Net+MCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

I think that has a 100mhz bus so the mult must be 5.5 so if your MOBO lets you try to cahnge it to 6X100. You may need to increase the volts though. :rolleyes:
CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP-XP Professional

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.4 @1.53, Thermalright SLK700, Abit KT7A, 900MB PC133, WD 80G SE, Acomdata 160G Ext. S.B Audigy, Pioneer DVR-110, Yamaha 24/10/40, Sony 16X DVD, ATI 9700Pro A-I-W. Samsung 755DF. 3DMark01SE score:10335 3DMark03 score: 4483 My Spec-V web page

#3 Chumly409

Chumly409

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hey, I figured I'd jump in and hope this doesn't come too late:)

Overclocking those P3's back in the day were where most started off IMO, so jump right in...I know I did! I'd like to add that 100Mhz jump was VERY impressive, so don't get your hopes up. Today, clocks scale with larger leaps than that. Just wanted you to realize that prior to beginning.

I still have a P3 500 system; and in fact I have it out and am rebuilding it to give to my father. So...as soon as my hardware for it comes in, I'll make a little webpage to add some pictures of the process. There's a lot of people still wanting to OC just like you, and I find nothing better to play with for the first time than older hardware;)

1st, you may want to look at the data base over at overclockers.com. You can jott down the numbers that appear on the top of cpu (is this a giant black slot 1? If it is, the numbers are on the top of the plastic). What you want to look for are numbers starting with "SL" and a country of some sort. These will help you compare to other attempts in the database.

Before I move along, Play a little with the FSB settings. The rule of thumb is to do little bumps, boot-in, see if it holds for a while. If it doesn't, go back a step down and try again. When you find one that works well, run a stress test (like sandra's burnin wizard). If it holds, you're good. Now...if the speed increase isn't what you expected...it's time to round up some hardware! (I say to play with the OC first so you can see what stuff you add helps and what didn't. It's a learning experience, and no "Geek" likes those that just go out and buy all this stuff because "they're supposed too"!)

Motherboard - The boards that were awesome for these were the Abit BE series (BE6, BE6 II...and others around the Intel 440BX chipset). Also, the Asus P3B was another great performer. They are discontinued, but still roam EBAY and in some forums willing to be sold. You want these boards for their bios features (soft jumperless, small clock jumps, dividers, etc...). **NOTE! these boards only support AGP 4x if at all. Installing a newer video card will result in damage due to the higher voltage of AGP4x! A safe bet is a PCI vid card if you can't find an older 3.3v card.
RAM - PC133 is the staple of choice. Even if you have a 100MHz bus, you'll want the added headroom PC133 will give you. If you use all of the 133 cycles, you'll get a 730MHZ machine! Imagine...Crucial offered the most stable IMO. Oh, and try to find CL2 rated chips. If you can't find any PC133 stuff, I have a good stick still around;)
Heatsink - We need to get rid of heat from the CPU! If this is a slot one, then the Alpha P3S125 was the king. It's a huge piece of metal and has two Y.S. Tech fans on top...loud! It's heavy, and the slot one's retention system is still a mystery to me, but you can make it stay in (just don't ruff the case too much).

That's the stuff to maybe get you further down the road. You can go even further by taking the big plastic crap off the cpu card to gain a little more air flow to the card's components (you need to cut a pen's plastic case to get four 1/4" pieces of tube to make up for lost mounting space the plastic cover had...you'll need pictures I think!)

Again, take baby steps up. Run a test for stability with each run. Even if your next highest bump doesn't work you can still tweak some settings in the bios and try again (this is where the dividers come in handy. Bumping the FSB also bumps the AGP and PCI bus. Just because your CPU may want to clock, those PCI devices may not like it at all! Keep the other busses as close to stock as possible). If you get to 632...be happy. If you get higher...you're on the path to glory!

Remember: Simply having a 'puter that boots with a high clock speed ain't worth a hill of beans if it doesn't STAY running:D

[Ch]umly