- - - - -

ATIPHEXX.EXE AND SMSC.EXE WORMS.....HELP!!!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brandon_*

Guest_brandon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

I just installed xp... I ran all windows updates, I downloaded Trend Micro Virus Scan program for a free trial, scanned my computer and it came up with these two worms. Trend Micro will not let me clean these files or quarantinne them. It says I must change user name or file path?? not sure what or how to do that. My question is , can I just go to Win32 and delete these 2 files or will that cause something to not run correctly. (I'm always weary of deleting things when i dont know what they are).I know how to delete them from registry but I want them completely gone... any tips on a program or software I can run that will delete these and NOT tell me 80 other steps I have to go through..perferably freeware since i'm a little strapped for cash right now. thanks alot.

#2 Guest_Kent_*

Guest_Kent_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:19 AM

:P

Steps

1. End smsc.exe in your processes (DO this first because this worm will prevent you from using regedit.exe and msconfig.exe)

2. Delete smsc*.* from c:\windows\prefech

3. Delete smsc.exe from c:\windows\system32

4. Delete c:\windows\driver cache\i386\Drivers.cab (this file has been infected)

5. Use msconfig.exe to uncheck smsc.exe from startup.

This should do it.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the steps to get rid of that worm. My best friend was having this problem and I was able to use google and found your steps which I sounded intelligent, by telling her exactly what to do to rid it!!!! LOL

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:41 AM

Any hints to get rid of the atiphexx.exe too? <_<

#5 Guest_BlackJack_*

Guest_BlackJack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:51 AM

Any hints to get rid of the atiphexx.exe too? <_<

I just removed the file, no problems afterward whatsoever.
What I usually do in cases like this; 1) copy the file, zip it, and save it to a disk. 2) reboot in safe or dos mode and remove the original. 3) reboot and see if everything still works, if it doesn't I put the file back

Hope this helps

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Help. I'm having the same problem. I did the steps to remove smsc.exe that were typed here, but it keeps coming back. I deleted all the files and turned it off in the startup, but everytime I put Windows back to normal mode, it is back in the startup. What am I missing?

#7 Guest_MaGLLa_*

Guest_MaGLLa_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:01 AM

I think U should first turn off system restore :ph34r:

#8 Guest_huang_*

Guest_huang_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:49 AM

:P

Steps

1. End smsc.exe in your processes (DO this first because this worm will prevent you from using regedit.exe and msconfig.exe)

2. Delete smsc*.* from c:\windows\prefech

3. Delete smsc.exe from c:\windows\system32

4. Delete c:\windows\driver cache\i386\Drivers.cab (this file has been infected)

5. Use msconfig.exe to uncheck smsc.exe from startup.

This should do it.

Hi...
not able to delete the b/m file
C:\I138\driver.cab and
C:\windows\driver cache\i386\Drivers.cab

pls help!!

#9 Guest_JC-DOS_*

Guest_JC-DOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

..:: For Atiphexx.exe ::..
-------------------------------

1.) Search atiphexx.exe in driver C: (possible located on c:\windows\atiphexx.exe)
2.) Dont attempt automatically delete this exe file, just open it in notepad.exe .
3.) After successfully open it, just type any letters/character and then save it.
4.) Thats it.

For more information, email me (a) "jcd0sEmail Removed"....

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

what if search can't find atiphexx.exe ?

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

Hey, I'm trying to fix my uncles computer because its been really slow. I keep getting the error measage that smsc.exe has to be shut down because of an error when I start up. So I'm going through these steps here. Do I really need to delete the Driver.cab file? Its a huge file (74 mb) and that seems like its way too important to delete. Was everyone elses driver file that large?

#12 Guest_Suzanne_*

Guest_Suzanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:58 AM

I had the SMSC worm problem - I followed the instructions and it appears to be gone but I still can't run my virus software the last step of msconfig - any suggestions?

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:40 PM

I believe you have to remove all the entries in the registry as well. I did all that steps. Then I went into registry and found a whole lot of entries running this file.

#14 Guest_brodie pearce_*

Guest_brodie pearce_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

all of the suggestions provided for the atiphexx.exe worm are useless as it is in the registry so can not be found in search and even if you delete it from the registry it just respawns and once your connected to the internet you cant end it in the task manager, in fact, its eating up my bandwidth right now.

note. atiphexx.exe is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

it is represented as ATI Control Panel or similar and its value is atiphexx.exe

someone please HELP!!!

#15 Guest_NightSquirrel_*

Guest_NightSquirrel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

Do I really need to delete the Driver.cab file? Its a huge file (74 mb) and that seems like its way too important to delete. Was everyone elses driver file that large?

My Driver.cab file was just as big as yours, and I'm reluctant to delete it as well... A little help here would be appreciated :D

#16 Guest_Louise_*

Guest_Louise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:03 AM

I had the SMSC worm problem - I followed the instructions and it appears to be gone but I still can't run my virus software the last step of msconfig - any suggestions?

I had the SMSC.exe worm. I have removed it I think but can't install Virus Scan software.

Any Ideas????

#17 Guest_brodie pearce_*

Guest_brodie pearce_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:40 PM

the atiphexx.exe registry entries are also in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

i have also later found that even if you delete these entries they still manage to come back, i deleted all of these three entries about a month ago and had no sight of it in my running processes or registry but it reappeared last night.

my advise, burn off anything youi need to keep or save it in DOS files and wipe the rest and start anew

#18 Guest_AsRock+SD_*

Guest_AsRock+SD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

Hello,

I found ATI Omega Drivers install this ( V 4.12 atiphexx.exe ). And was able to remove it with Xoftspy with No problems at all.

AsRock+SD

Specialdetachment.org

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

:( i cant find smsc.exe in prefetch n cant fing diretor.cad
please help :unsure: