Alfa AWUS036h - Great Strength & Quality, super slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FierceCritter

FierceCritter

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi. I've seen this question asked in forums but can never seem to find a response that applies to me or is simple enough to understand. I have used an alfa for 4 years without problem. I live in a very rural area, only 1 neighbor. Last winter, he let me use his signal as he doesn't live on the property year-round. Over the summer the signal dropped, which I expected with things like leaf cover and his own use of his own signal. But this winter, it didn't get better. He's been gone since October.

I am not that far from his router. I can see the building its in from the window. I switched from my long-range antenna to the directional. I get strength and quality both in the high 90's. But sometimes even with that, I have problems like youtube videos loading slow, downloads taking hours instead of minutes, etc. Very different from last winter.

I did get a new alfa over the summer as my original quit working. I may have changed things in the alfa set-up, but have had no luck restoring defaults or tweaking settings. I have done a couple re-installs.

I don't know what to do. I am not super tech-savvy but I do know how to follow directions well, and have a moderate amount of ability in troubleshooting my own problems. But like I said, I've googled this to death and read countless forums but can't seem to figure out what to tinker with and adjust.

I'm running Vista 64. Again, sing the awus036h.

Thanks for any help!

#2 FierceCritter

FierceCritter

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Bump

#3 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'm not sure how to help, maybe others have an idea.. But unless you have direct access to router your going to have a hard time

Is the firmware to router right up to date?

What kind of router? stuff like that

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here