- - - - -

Netgear MR814v2 connection problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sas_*

Guest_Sas_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

I have a netgear mr814v2 router with latest firmware verison ie., 5.3. I have a toshiba satellite laptop with inbuilt wireless. My laptop is not connecting to the wireless router. I can see my router's name in the list of "available networks" and after highlighting my router and clicking "connect", nothing happens. Instead, it still says "one or more wireless networks are available".

I found that shutting down the modem, router, and computer (connected thru router's LAN) and restarting in that order, my laptop was able to connect to the router. Everything was fine. However, once I shutdown my laptop during nighttimes or restart for anyother reasons, I have to go through the procedure of restarting the modem, router, and desktop to get connected.

I have spoken to tech support and per their recommendation I have downloaded the latest firmware version. Its very annoying as I don't have an instant internet connection. I don't think it is associated with wireless card as my laptop easily detected and connected to my friend's router (D-link). Any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

#2 Guest_postmortem_*

Guest_postmortem_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:21 PM

you need to configure several things, such as giving 1st key to laptop; if you are using encryption.

#3 Guest_ADSCI_*

Guest_ADSCI_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:08 AM

5.03 is imo the worest firmware ever released for mr814v2!
use older version or if you can cope with a german language gui:

5.09 beta German! its just the best, i encountered never a problem, even if its a beta!
give it a try! faster, stable, better! ;)

http://www.netgear.d...Detail&id=10314

#4 Guest_WubbaWubba_*

Guest_WubbaWubba_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:36 AM

Um, he said 5.3 not 5.03

http://kbserver.netg...tes/D102358.htm

#5 Guest_Bigdave_*

Guest_Bigdave_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

I'm having the exact same problem as SAS. I have downloaded the lastest firmware and still have the problem. Will the Beta German version recommended by ADSCI fix the problem? I also don't want to reboot everyday. :(

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:21 PM

:ph34r: Dear comrade-users, I also got this Netgear MR814v2 device - I was told it is one of the best on the market and technically a leader. However, the longest time I got this machine running was approx. 1 hour. So I ask myself what kind of sh... the company that is manufacturing this device is selling to us for quite a lot of money. Unfrtunately I guess I cannot meet the ingenieur who is responsible for this "mess" - because I live in Germany - Rheinfelden close to wonderful Basel in Switzerland. So beware, ingenieur - do no come to Switzerland or Germany and sell us this sh ... !! It just does not work and it is totally compicated - not useful at all.

Yours sincerely, Dr. Uwe Tittmann

#7 Guest_Copyman_*

Guest_Copyman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

I just got the Netgear MR814v2 wireless router and found the same problem.
The problem is caused by heat build up. My work around was to take the end
covers off the router and fasten a small fan to to bottom with the antenna
pointed up.

The router and fan run 24/7 and I don't have a bit of problem with the system.

#8 Guest_Xavier_*

Guest_Xavier_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:36 PM

I just got the Netgear MR814v2 wireless router and found the same problem.
The problem is caused by heat build up. My work around was to take the end
covers off the router and fasten a small fan to to bottom with the antenna
pointed up.

The router and fan run 24/7 and I don't have a bit of problem with the system.

I also have this problem, and I'd like to give it a try. Can you describe a bit more in detail your technical solution?

#9 Guest_Rishi_*

Guest_Rishi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:51 PM

I have the same router and with the latest firmware it works fine. My problem is with the new laptop i got which supports both 802.11 b and g protocols, cannot connect to Netgear MR814v2 which supports only 802.11b. Is there any known problem of this model not supporting 802.11g devices?

#10 Guest_KJ_*

Guest_KJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:57 PM

wow.... take the case out, and somehow let it stand on air
(as for me, there were 4 holes on the corners of the router-breadboard,
so I used little sticks to hole them)

the heat of the router was the problem.

we'll see though. maybe it's working temporarily.
but it works very well for now. strong signal.

(my firmware is 5.3, MR814v2)

i'll have to figure out how to not get the router dusty. :)