• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

I would've posted this in the hardware section but it looks like it hasn't had an issue since 2011. I recently tried to hook my plasma screen TV to my desktop PC through the DVI/HDMI cable, leaving the other cable still hooked to my PC monitor, everything seemed fine till I clicked on the IE icon and my TV went black, after turning my monitor back on and unplugging the TV my PC wont boot up it gives me I long beep and 3 short beeps, after doing some research I found that its either a RAM problem or a video card issue. I recently purchased 16G of Gskill Ram to upgrade my memory(it is on my QVL list)so after going through the steps to make sure my RAM is seated correctly I determined it was the video card. I currently have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and after pulling it to try to see if my older GeForce GTX 460 might remedy the issue to help figure out if it was indeed the card it still did the same thing. My PC will boot with the same 1 long beep and 3 short beeps but the monitor is still black and I can hear the Windows theme play just no picture. On a whim I plugged my 550 into the PCIe slot for running SLI and it worked,.. I have a picture on my monitor now but my question is can a PCIe slot go bad?...or burn up somehow and if so how can I test to make certain it is. what are my options for regaining that slot.

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

which motherboard? which BIOS?, as eg.. Award BIOS v4

More than likely GPU or Ram, but beep code gives better indication

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#3 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

sorry for not including this info in my original post..
motherboard ASUS P8P67-M LGA 1155 socket for Intel second gen i7
Bios 32Mb Flash ROM, EFI AMI bios which has not been updated.
also not to further complicate things but I noticed when I was in the Bios setup that only 8Gs of my RAM is shown @ 1333GHZ when its rated for 2133GHZ... not sure if that matters.
please let me know if there is any other info you may need.

#4 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

A bios update may fix some problems

One update I believe addresses 

Fixed onboard & add-on VGA card compatibility issue

I can't find your exact model motherboard, what bios version you have installed?

Are you planning to update bios?

You should have your manual for tweaking memory, etc....

Here's a link to a similiar model motherboard manual

http://www.asus.com/...elpDesk_Manual/

#5 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

ok.. my Bios is American Megatrends v0702 which I tried to update and I cant seem to find an update for it. installed the ASUS update utility with no luck, when I try the option of "install update from the internet" all it says is looking for server. The ASUS website is not much help either.

I do have the manual for my motherboard but any manual overclocking or changing setting,( like the speed of my RAM it crashes) and gives me the red light on the motherboard.
I realize tomorrow is Christmas so have a great Christmas Guestolo and I look forward to continuing this thread after the holidays.

#6 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

The info of your motherboard should be printed right on motherboard itself

Regardless, if you're unsure about updating bios, might want to leave it, but info is all in the motherboard manual

Shows more than one way of updating

#7 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

ok.... I did manage to update my Bios ill keep you posted on the effects.

#8 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

ok.. after my Bios update I tried placing my GeForce GTX 550Ti back into the primary PCIe slot and the original problem still exists, on boot up my PC gives me 1 long beep and 3 short beeps and my monitor is black, I can hear Windows start through the speakers but no picture. I placed my video card back in the secondary PCIe slot and I have a picture on my monitor but my system as a whole seems a lot less stable with not responding pop-ups and monitor going black and restarting.

#9 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Could be that one pcie slot is bad, as for the other you may want to ensure uninstall and install latest video drivers

#10 AlaskanSnowman

AlaskanSnowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

I have updated my drivers and as far as I can tell all drivers are up to date. if the slot is bad is there a way to test it to find out? if it is determined that its bad is the only remedy
replacing the MOBO and any idea why plugging my TV into the video card created the issue? I have plugged it in many times before that... I don't have an issue replacing the MOBO just looking for a direction before throwing money at something that's not the issue. regardless of your answer thank you Guestolo for your help as always.

#11 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

sounds like you either had a spike of voltage with the psu

or the slot is just bad

You can troubleshoot hardware more on your end then I can

Sorry I can't be of more help