- - - - -

Network Troubles - Plz Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Oskar_*

Guest_Oskar_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2001 - 02:06 AM

I've read some guides on building a home network and I thought I could do it...well, I was wrong.

I have 2 machines both running win2k and each has an NIC installed. In addition I have a hub, as I want to share my internet connection with both computers.
Heres my first question, do I need 2 NIC cards in the host computer to be able to share the net and have the network?

Ok, so...I didnt think I needed 2 cards. What I did was connect my cable modem to the hub, and connect both computers to separate hb ports. After doing this, I was unable to get the net and the network both working at the same time.

If I specified a private network ip on both computers, I was able to share files however not surf the net. If I used the obtain IP automatically, I was able to surf the net on the host computer only.

I have tried so many different things and 3rd party programs to share the net connection and setup the network but I have been unsuccessful.

If theres is someone out there that can offer a hand, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thx

#2 wizard2010

wizard2010

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2001 - 06:56 PM

You will need 2 network cads in your machine... (host)

As a cable modem is really like a extension of your Home network. (Internet being the next machine)

Does 2k have internet connection sharing installed ?
Check Windows setup and enable it :)
You would have to play around with the configuration .
The correct solution i will post later, need to check a few refrences...

#3 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 06 August 2001 - 07:21 PM

Yes, you can do it with one network card. This assumes you have a static ip for your internet connection though. Basically you have to apply both ip's to the one network card (and if you use dhcp, you cannot assign a second ip to it). Go into your LAN settings, and properties. Then double-click TCP/IP (or just highlight and click properties). It'll as for an ip. Enter either one here, also enter your gateway ip here (if you don't know this info, typing ipconfig in a command prompt should show you). Then click advanced, and you will see where you can add a second (or more) ip. That should be it.

These instructions aren't precise (I'm on my linux box now so I'm going by memory), but that should point you in the general direction.

#4 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 12:40 PM

how about one of those linksys dsl/cable routers? i haven't used one but i hear that works.

brew me a cup. we're here for the long haul
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#5 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 12:48 PM

Yes, but he's trying to use as little hardware as possible. A router is much more expensive than a NIC. If he's in the market for a router though, I'd go ahead and get it, and save the trouble of figuring this out. Otherwise, just get both IP's bound to that NIC, and you'll be ok.

#6 Guest_Zeke_*

Guest_Zeke_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2001 - 11:05 AM

A couple of years ago I set up a system like that. It was with Win98. I think I used something in the OS that was called Virtual Private Network. I used two NICs in the host, & one in the client. I had to make a client floppy & install it on the client. It was made on the host. The host was connected to the internet. The host & client had dummy IP numbers.
One host NIC was to the Cable modem, one host NIC was to the HUB. The client used the host as the connection to the internet. The host was always turned on first. That is the best that I can remember. Hope it is at least in the ballpark.

#7 Guest_spockman1_*

Guest_spockman1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2001 - 11:21 AM

What OS(s) are you using?

#8 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 11:36 AM

It's called Internet Connection Sharing, or ICS for short (Virtual Private Network, or VPN, is something completely different). ICS is in Win98SE, WinMe, Win2k, and WinXP.

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2002 - 02:03 PM

I guess I can through in my 2 cents. Hope this helps a little:

Place 2 nics in one machine and connect the cable modem to one while the other connects to a hub. Once everything is working fine with the internet connection on the one machine edit the TCP/IP properties on the NIC connected to the modem. Set an IP address for the card. Typically 192.168.0.0, or something like that. The hub connected card can be listed as obtain automatically. Then on the sharing machines leave the IP to automatic, but set a gateway of 192.168.0.0. If you are still having trouble with the file sharing add Netbeui protocol to the machines.

Hope this helps, i'm no expert, just a tinker'er

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2002 - 12:13 PM

DOOD. You can get one at CompUsa for $100. I use one and it ROCKS. It will be worth the $$ considering how many headaches you are looking at being in.

You COULD setup internet connection sharing, and have 2 nics in the host computer and one in the extra... but it's a headache. The router is by FAR the eaisest way to go. Especially if you plan to VPN out.

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2002 - 06:04 PM

I would also reccomend a router, I use a linksys (www.linksys.com) cable/dsl router and 4 port 10/100 switch, with a linksys hub in the uplink port. I now have 7 machines all accessing the web through one cable modem as well as being able to access each other. And it is the most easy thing in the world to set up too. Screw connection sharing, get a router!