- - - - -

Win2000 Boot CD ??

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2001 - 04:05 PM

you say the reason you don't post this info is because you don't condone piracy.

somehow i doubt not being able to create a bootable cd is going to make much difference to people wanting to install a pirated version. you can use any dos boot disk you have lying around and simply run setup.exe off the cd.

and yet, you give information on how to bypass having to enter a serial # during the installation. don't you think this is a touch hypocritical?

#22 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 07:05 PM

The whole point is that if you have a full version of Win2k, and you follow the instructions, it "should" work just fine. There's exceptions to the rule sure, but nothing is 100%. We get enough questions about the guide as it is, without people being concerned about adding extra files to the cd which they should already have.

All I'm saying is if you have a warez version, and you can't make the cd bootable, don't bother asking for help. If you have a fullversion and are having problems, we'll try to help you out.

As far as the serial number, it's merely editing a simple text file. Now if it involved hex editing, or replacing files, we would not get into that (that would be in a grey area at best, and illegal at worst). Besides, like you said if you want to install a pirated version, you'd have no problems anyways.

#23 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2001 - 07:14 PM

I *do* have the full version... that's why I'm asking. Is it too much to expect that you could mention WHICH files we need to put on the CD in order for it to be bootable? I don't know what I did wrong.

Thanks,
--Matt

#24 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 07:26 PM

There's no need then, as long as you have the fullversion from MS, you have all the files you need. Off the top of my head I believe that the two cdrom* files in the root of the cd are needed (cdrom_ip.5 and cdrom_nt.5) and in the i386 directory you need bootfix.bin. Again these are already there, so they shouldn't be missing.

Some people had success putting the NTLDR file in the root of the cd. Others just used different media. If you follow the directions exactly it'll work most of the time, but even I have had unexplained problems at times. My best advice, is to use a CDRW disk to test on, until you can verify it works.

#25 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2001 - 09:32 AM

Thanks - I'll take another look...
-- Matt

#26 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2001 - 03:44 AM

Hi I followed your advise on how to make bootable but I got an error said that "NTLDR not found" when i boot from CD!!! I have checked all the files which needed to be in the root..Indeed they are already there....So I downloaded just one file from your site (BIN file) and followed every steps. So what can i do now???? Thanks in advance........

#27 Guest_Cuba_*

Guest_Cuba_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2001 - 12:46 AM

I solved this by putting all the files for the iso in the root of my HD, then in CDWin I selected the "Preserve Full Pathnames" box. All the files then have correct pathname, as they were in the root of your HD.

Cuba

#28 Guest_Winston_*

Guest_Winston_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2001 - 08:28 PM

I too have the complete genuine Win200 Pro cd given to me from Microsoft as a prize winner and I followed all the instructions to the T but when I tried to install the OS, I get that "NTLDR" missing message.
What did I do wrong?
Pls Help
Thank you
Winston

#29 Guest_aardvark_*

Guest_aardvark_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:08 PM

Where is this bloody winnt32.sif file? I found it nowhere!

Is there some utility to create a totally customizable W2K boot CD ?

Thanx

NOTA: Please send a copy to [email protected]

#30 Guest_guppy_*

Guest_guppy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2001 - 01:37 PM

Nice one Eric..!

How ever questions do arise;

I used setupmgr.exe (trying) to avoid the 'press F6 & insert disk' part of the setup (my raid controller isn't supported )

now it tells me I must run 'unattend.bat' so in other words:
either I use a boot disk (floppy) and run unattend.bat or its back to "good" old F6 & floppy ..sigh..

the entire idea behind making a SP2 boot disk was avoiding the floppy's, does anyone know of a way to slip my Ultra driver onto the boot disc that I migth boot floppy less & still have access to my raid drive?

if any one knows how to do this please don't hesitate to mail me : mailto:KafplowEmail Removed

#31 Guest_guppy_*

Guest_guppy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2001 - 01:39 PM

Ups!

that should have been kafplowEmail Removed

#32 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 12:03 AM

If you rename unattend.txt to winnt32.sif and put it in the i386 directory, it should work. It only uses the winnt32.sif file if you boot from cd, starting an install from windows will ignore it.

#33 Guest_guppy_*

Guest_guppy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:55 AM

ok run it by me again like im REALY stupid..
(apparently I am, cuz it wont work for me..)
(the slip stream & boot part works fine..)
I use setupmgr it creates a dir (ie: C:win2kdist), unless I miss my guess this is the replacement for my I386 dir.
now rename unattend.txt to winnt32.sif (it already sits in my new I386 dir)
overwrite the content of I386 with the content of C:win2kdist and burn the cd for boot..

and then the problem comes my ata100 drive is still invissible to setup...

why oh why??
(yes i did include the files for [MassStorageDrivers] and every thing.. but it just doesn't find it...)

---
btw am I the only one to notice that windows 2000 setup runs extremly slow of a CD-RW?

thougth i migth as well become a user if im going to keep herassing you guys

#34 Big_Z

Big_Z

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 01:54 PM

In reply to:

btw am I the only one to notice that windows 2000 setup runs extremly slow of a CD-RW?

Yup, only you.
Runs fine off a CDRW for me

#35 Guest_guppy_*

Guest_guppy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:27 PM

hrm.. maybe its becuase i use an old 2x CD-RW disc

but what to do with the win2kdist dir... is it the new I386 dir?
or have i misunderstood that?

anyone who have added drivers (SCSII/RAID/etc..) requried in order to install on a HD, to the win2000 cd???

I have started compiling a FAQ about making modifications to the windows 2000 (and keeping it bootable).. but the one about adding drivers for non supportet drives keeps eluding me.

/Take my advice - I don't use it..

#36 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2001 - 04:12 AM

Does anyone know if the way to make a boot cd for win XP is the same as with W2k? (ie. same files etc.) If not does anyone know how to make an XP boot CD?

#37 Big_Z

Big_Z

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 11:19 AM

same process as the win2k cd once you have the XP cd.
same boot sector as well.

#38 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2001 - 12:39 AM

Does anyone know what system files i'll need to put on a CD to make it win2k bootable (More so i can access an NTFS partition than slipstreaming or anthing)

#39 Big_Z

Big_Z

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 12:00 PM

www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein
www.nu2.nu

#40 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 10:57 AM

I tried to make a bootable w2k with sp2 with different programs and after a lot of "do not find ntldr and so I finally made it (w2k + sp2 bootable ).To day I tried the method of bart of www.nu2.nu .
I only tried once in windows 2000 and the cd was made perfectly without any burning program in w2k cmd.com .
This is really good .