1400 Athlon CPU
Asus A7V266 DDR Mobo
64Mb Asus V8200 Pure Geforce 3
512Mb 2100 DDR Ram
41Gb IBM Deskstar HDD
S/Blaster live 5.1
Hayes V.92 modem
Good Quality 300W PSU

After installing Win ME, the system runs for between 20-30mins before it starts locking up. After the first lockup it then only last roughly 5mins before a consequent system freeze. I checked on the Asus Mobo software to see if the cpu was running hot, but it was showing that the temp was maintaining between 64 & 69 degrees C. Any ideas on why it perisitently lock up?

Enlightenment is reached by the conquering of problems

#2 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 11:40 AM

1400 Athlon CPU??? On a 300W PSU? Well, I have the same set-up (sort of) and I'm also having problems. I think it's power supply related. AMD says we should at least use 350W for the 1400. I bet when I get my 430W PSU all my problems will be....gone.....

---------------------------------------

if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#3 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2001 - 03:22 AM

Glad to hear that you may have a solution, it's driving me mad!
Let me know if the PSU solves your issues and I'll hot foot it out to get me a new one myself, it's just a little expensive after buying what I have, to find out that it's not going to fix my problem, but seen as you have one on the way then if you could drop me a msg to let me know the outcome i'd be very grateful indeed.

Cheers mate

is there a method to the madness?

#4 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 06:39 AM

You may want to try this in the meantime:

I found a program called CPUCool here at http://www.zdnet.com.../0,,47051,.html . You may want to try that, it cooled my CPU by almost 14 degrees celcius. It was running at 43 and not it runs at a steady 28/29. And I have yet to notice a drop in performance. Give that a try and let me know what happens!!! It's actually helped in my PC's stability.

#5 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2001 - 07:04 AM

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight and let you know my results.
One day we'll be able to just simply use our machines without problem...... oops wake up man you're dreaming again.

Thanks again

can't think of anything witty to comment on...

#6 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2001 - 03:18 AM

I have put in a new 420W PSU which has fixed my power issues, but it's still crashing ALOT! I have come to the conclusion that it is definately overheating and usually locks up at between 68 & 70 degrees C which I have discovered is very unhealthy for the cpu. I have a large h/sink & fan a thermal take silver orb with Arctic Silver II Compound and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Also I have an extra exhaust fan to help remove the bad air.

Any Recomendations?

To Seek the Solution requires stealth and cunning!

#7 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 09:26 AM

Is the inside of our case condusive for proper airflow? In other words...are the cables all nicely tucked away so air can flow? I have a cheap ol' heatsink and fan and the highest it gets for my PC is 40C.

I don't know what to say...A nice cold shower perhaps??

And I'm still waiting on my power supply!! Damn people are jerking me around!!!

Did you notice any difference with the new power supply? Just curious.....

[Edit]

And I'm sorry to hear that the PSU didn't fix the problem. Some people tell me that getting a better power supply sometimes cools down the CPU. I hope you fix your problem.... :-)

Edited by TheReasonIFailed on 10/01/01 10:30 AM.

#8 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2001 - 09:52 AM

Well the power supply definately helped i.e. the extra exhaust fan now powers up. But I am currently running the system at 1050Mhz to keep it stable and at 56 degrees.
As soon as i increase the clock to 1400Mhz, the temp goes North to 70 degrees and locks up.

I tried that CPU Cool but not really sure how to work it, don't have the knowledge at current to know whats what exactly even after being in the IT trade for 8years!!

I think i'll give one of those 7000rpm HSF's a go and if not it's water cooled for me.

I hope I get this thing sussed soon and I'll let you know my findings, thanks for the help mate.

try as you might, success is hard to find!

#9 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 01:01 PM

My power supply has arrived today. I will let you know if it does help out at keeping my computer stable!! I hope it stops from crashing!!!! I hope...I hope....

#10 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 05:05 PM

My power supply is installed and everything seems to be working fine!! I found a new cooling software at http://www.naggelgam...cool/VCool.html

Give it a shot and let me know if it cools your PC down a bit. I'm using a 1.4Ghz AMD with a 400W PSU and right now the temp is at 33C. I dunno...I think the PSU helped a bit...

Good Luck!!!

#11 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2001 - 02:26 AM

Glad to hear you're sorted out, I'll check out that software and let you know as soon as I've tried it.

As a matter of interest what case is your system in Mini/Midi/Full tower unit?

#12 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2001 - 02:31 AM

Not sure whether VCool will work due to my board running on a Via KT266 chipset, maybe that also has something to do with the heat of the chip?

#13 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 06:13 AM

I have a Mid-Tower Case. With one fan on the back of it sucking out the heat. I ran my PC without VCool and it gets up around 50C. I think I need a better heatsink.

Ya know...you go into this thinking it's going to cost you XXX amount of dollars and then when you're done...you realize thaht you almost spent double that on "neccesary" add-ons!!! Well...maybe not necessary for some people...but I'm a freak when it comes to how my PC runs!!!

#14 Guest_Lt_Walker_*

Guest_Lt_Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2001 - 06:36 AM

I have a mid-tower too, with 1 exhaust fan on the psu and a separate one on in a pci bay. I don't think VCool will work on my board, as it says for KT133 whereas I have KT266 any ideas if it will work?

I know what you're saying, I've spent alot on the extras trying to make it run right, to the point where I'm going to have to wait until I get paid to upgrade the heatsink and fan, frightening really. Just hope it cures my problem.

#15 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 08:09 AM

I don't know if it will work. But I've decided to not rely on software cooling. So I'm going to pay 72 DOLLARS
for the best heatsink money can buy!! And if that doesn't work, I'm going to try new RAM. Wish me luck!!!!

#16 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 06:41 AM

I'm getting the SwifTech MC462. Tom's Hardware rated it the best heatsink out!! click here to check it out at the SwifTech website...

It's also the heaviest of all 46. And it's doesn't use the usual clasp method to attach itself to the motherboard.

Edited by TheReasonIFailed on 10/03/01 07:47 AM.

#17 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2001 - 12:35 PM

I'm not quite sure of my system temp at the moment, i need to get me some software that monitors that i guess, but heres my system setup:
Gigabyte GA-7ZX (dual bios WOO!)
Athlon 900mhz
512mb pc133 ram
sound blaster live 5.1 plat
PNY Verto geforce3 64mb DDR w/ VO
1 30gig 7400rpm W/D HDD
1 60gig 7400rpm Maxtor HDD
Full tower case
400w PSU
--------------
Fans:
1x 4 1/2in fan (blowing out) it sits right beside the i/o ports (by the cpu too)
2x 3in fan (sucking in) inside front of case
1x Super orb for CPU
1x 3in fan (blowing out) above PSU, across from top 3 bays
1x HDD cooling mount, without the HDD in it, sitting in the
4th bay (counting from top to bottom) - it's sucking in
2x 1in fans added to gf3 card (ontop of ram HS)
and of course the fan in the PSU

Well.. as you can see i like my fans, and i found 2 really neat ones at radioshack, so i decided i would share with everyone else.
Radio Shack blower fans
I have 2 myself, haven't put them in yet, because i haven't decided on where to fit them. Hopefully these could be of use to some with over heating problems.. they pump hella air.

#18 Guest_Pointman_*

Guest_Pointman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2001 - 01:59 PM

I have an AMD 1400 with 768 DDR 2100 RAM
Thermaltake Volcano 6+ on the CPU ($60)
a 3 inch 5400rpm fan right under the power suppy (there is a gap for the air) blowing air straight to the cpu cooler

The temp is normaly around 50 - 60 C max
I have to keep my full tower side open otherwise the temp gets up to 80 C

A good brand 300W power supply
GeForce 3
Asus A7V266

the result.....it freezes, again and again and again

I hate to say this but after a long time persisting on Intel I decided to buy the AMD for the performance and I try to convince myself that it was a good buy and shouldn't buy an Intel

#19 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 09:24 AM

Have you tryied runing your system without any addition cards and drives, Every overheeting problem I have ever had seemed to be related to cdrw, Hdd, or TV card placement. hhave you got a senceble amount of thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink?

#20 Guest_Pointman_*

Guest_Pointman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2001 - 02:31 AM

After tweaking around the whole weekend with the motherboard and CPU I figured out that the machine freezes no more when I increased the Vcore from 1.75 to 1.8

At first I dropped the I/O Voltage (Memory, AGP, PCI) from the default (2.65 if I remember right) to 2.5 and it seemed that the system would not freeze (unattended for 3 hours) but when I tried to run a 3D game it went bezerk in no time. So I put the I/O Voltage back in the default and increased then Vcore just a tad

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the GeForce 3 sucks alot of power?