• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: ok? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

#1 Guest_Kevlar_*

Guest_Kevlar_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2000 - 06:34 AM

I am looking to learn C or C++ programming and would like any recommendations on good starter books. I have done some programming in the past (in my college days), but that was in Fortran and Turbo Pascal. What I am looking for specifically is a book that teaches the basics. I would prefer that it use Linux as its teaching platform, but that isn't a requirement. Thanks in advance.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing more, nothing less!

#2 Dexter

Dexter

Boy Genius

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 April 2000 - 10:07 AM

Sams "teach yourself C in 21 days" was a pretty good book. I used it to learn the basics before my highschool c++ class and it did help. They do have a c++ version now from what i've heard so you might want to look into that.

Dexter
Dexter, Advanced-Basic.Com
[root:/usr/src]$make buildworld
make: Please wait 6-8 weeks for your world to be built and shipped to you. Thank you for your order!

#3 Guest_Kevlar_*

Guest_Kevlar_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2000 - 11:44 AM

Thanks. I was trying to jumpstart some posts here so I had to pick something from my list of things I had questions about currently. I will check that book out.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing more, nothing less!

#4 Guest_GearHead_*

Guest_GearHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2000 - 12:00 PM

You might also want to check out "Using C++"...Can't remember the author right now, but it's published by QUE. It's a little more in depth than "C++ in 21 days", but I found it more helpful...

-----------
The Ripper,
The Master,
The Overlordian,

- LL Cool J, EPMD, "Rampage"

#5 Guest_Prophet_*

Guest_Prophet_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2000 - 05:55 PM

No no, you are all wrong, i just finished my course on C programming, and i have a good book on it, its called:

"Problem solving and program design is C"

Plus i can get you my old lecture notes if you want from my degree, and i can give you the problems and solutions that we where tested on!

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2000 - 03:28 AM

Good source of C++ book reviews is
http://www.idinews.com/bibliogr.html
which includes not only recommendations but a review of what to avoid, as well as some excellent C++ tips and guidance. Also at http://www.idinews.com/freeware.html there are some free downloadable C++ class definitions.

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:53 PM

If you can get some of your old lecture notes on C, that would be perfect. I need some of the examples that you guys have already had in class.

*hhh316

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users