- - - - -

Any suggestions on a good inexpensive firewall?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Network_Enforcer_*

Guest_Network_Enforcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2001 - 10:07 AM

I have some experiance with a PIX Firewall which connects to our T1 Circuit. But I am looking for an inexpensive one for home use. I have tried many software firewalls but would prefer to have an external physical one.

thanks

#2 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 09:55 AM

Try zone alarm pro...
i'm using one...

#3 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 11:04 AM

Try zone alarm , it's freeware and good or Tiny personal firewall (freeware too) .
Zone Alarm pro is shareware .

#4 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 01:59 PM

Setup a linux router. An old Pentium 75 would be more than enough power. Setup ipchains to allow the incoming/outgoing traffic you want. Or to be a little more lax, don't even worry about it. As long as you're only using one ip and the linux box is having to do nat...the only PC that'll be visible to the outside will be the linux box.

And I say only do that if you want to be lax, because it could still be possible for them to gain access to the linux box, and from there try to hack into your machine. As long as you don't run any unnecessary servers on it though (such as sendmail, ftp, apache, etc.) it'd probably be ok.

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 08:52 PM

Definitely go for Zone Alarm, free or Pro, both work very good, Pro just gives a few more options.

#6 Guest_BudJon_*

Guest_BudJon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2001 - 09:30 PM

I use Sygate Personal Firewall, it works well, is easily configurable, does not contain spyware and is free.

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2001 - 05:00 PM

don't think zone alarm is the best one though..well if you think of it in terms of its free cost..maybe yeah..
but it's not a really firewall since it just closes the port from internet.

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2001 - 06:49 PM

try tiny personel firewall

#9 Guest_Doggabone_*

Guest_Doggabone_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2001 - 01:32 AM

My Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router combined with ZoneAlarm are a highly configurable, secure, and inexpensive combination - the combined benefits of software and hardware firewalls. Not only was it cheap, but it made getting the network up a snap.

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2001 - 08:10 AM

Right now you can get a broadband router that does NAT on your home network, and depending on the model, can do port filtering as well. They are not rules-based firewalls like the more sophisticated hardware/software combos, but they are fairly effective.
LinkSys has one for less than $100. (I have one)
Also NetGear, 3Com, and SMC all have models. Each includes a DHCP server to provide addresses to your local network and some even include a print server. For less than a hundred bucks you get NAT addresses, and all your local systems can use the Internet on your broadband gateway, whether it's DSL, Cable Modem or other.
Have fun.
-- R