Win9x install help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Canucklehead_*

Guest_Canucklehead_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2000 - 11:30 PM

Hello

I was trying to help a friend who bought a Compaq (dunno model). Anyway, turns out the HD needed to have an OS installed. Long story short - after making a boot disk, and trying the directions on mentioned here at TheTechGuide, it won't install Win98 - it gets to where you type D: setup, and says "bad command.." We followed the list, but I'm wondering what's wrong?

I know my friend installed the CD-ROM himself...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Guest_MaJiK_Friend_*

Guest_MaJiK_Friend_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2000 - 06:07 AM

BIOS Anti-virus set?

I don't like Compaqs, so I don't even know if this is really an option on them.

For-pay Internet distributed processing.
http://www.ProcessTr.../?sponsor=57852

#3 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 21 September 2000 - 12:24 PM

First, did it come with a restore CD? If so, set the bios to boot from the cd-rom, put in the restore cd, and it should set everything up for you. If you're installing using a regular windows cd, then make sure you use the correct drive letter. For example, if you use a Win98 startup floppy, it usually makes your d drive the ramdrive. So you need to run e:setup instead.

#4 EMREF

EMREF

TPC

• Private Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2000 - 04:27 AM

This is the general rule:
After booting with the floppy you must choose the "CD" option, then type "F" , (without the quotes) your CD letter will be one more than usuall cause of the Ram tools Disk; when in F: type setup.

Is a fresh install, are you installing over an existing Windows with and Upgrade or with a full (OEM) disk?

Compaqs used to have part of the bios loaded in the HD, if this is the situation and you partitoned and formatted it there may be the trouble.
Just post how things are going...

Time to learn is endless
Time to learn is endless

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2000 - 08:20 AM

Canucklehead here:

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

As far as I know, this is a clean install.

From what I knew of the situation, the HD had already been wiped. I later found out that the person had installed a CD-ROM drive, but I am unsure if this was before the HD was wiped.

I have yet to hear from the person since I posted this question to see if there was more to suggest for help. I had told the person to contact Compaq to see if the help line would be of any service, after the person had gotten some help from them before.

I'll be talking to their mother tonight, so I'll be able to get the updates up to speed. Thanks again to all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users