4 replies to this topic

#1 seekdestroy16

seekdestroy16

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

Hello, I am wondering if I install linux that it will be compatable with all windows XP app's and hardware?. Is it virus-free?. Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:41 PM

it is one of the most secure networks in the world, but the program itself is very complicated.
also, it is compatible w/ ALL wxp programs, any further questions, and u cvan email me @ www.evilcecreamman1123Email Removed
your welcome, lol

#3 seekdestroy16

seekdestroy16

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

Yes but what about hardware? do you need a mind of a programmer to use it?.

Posted Image

#4 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

Um...no, it won't be compatible with all or even most Windows programs. Using Crossover office you can use quite a few Windows programs, and Winex lets you run a lot of DirectX games. Look for programs that have both a linux and windows version (many games have a linux executable, nero has a linux version, etc.). Also look for compatible programs, i.e. OpenOffice.org is compatible with Microsoft Office files.

Before you switch, I'd start using programs that have a linux counterpart such as OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Firefox, Gaim, etc. Makes the conversion a lot easier.

As far as hardware, linux supports a lot of hardware, it even supports some hardware out of the box that Windows doesn't. If you have a store-bought computer or laptop, you can probably search the model number and see what experiences others have had with your PC and linux. Just an example, my laptop is a Compaq R3000Z. I did some research, and saw I'd need a wrapper program to use my wireless card, but everything else would work. So I installed linux, used the onboard nic to update and get the wireless part working, then switched to using the wireless network. Then I installed nvidia's video drivers (they're one of the few vendors that directly provides linux drivers), and everything worked great.

#5 seekdestroy16

seekdestroy16

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

Cool, so I got a ATI Radeon 9550 that doesnt work on my computer, and I bought it after I saw my computers video card compatability list did not support it. If I install linux, could it work?. If it could, what about games like Battfield 2 or Counter Strike?.

Posted Image