#1 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2001 - 11:15 AM

Hi,
I have a win xp build 2600 cracked version. But I'm sure everybody has heard that microsoft is doing the product activation thing and i heard you only have 180 days time limit when using this cracked version. But, as fas as I remembered, i didn't get any notices to activate the product when first installed win xp. So, i'm wondering now, do i have a time limit?if i do, is there anyway i can bypass that?
thanks

#2 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 November 2001 - 11:25 AM

Talking about committing software piracy with in a public forum is just stupid; I wonder how long it will take MS to track you down?

#3 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 18 November 2001 - 12:25 PM

The 180 days limit is if you have an evaluation version of WinXP. Has nothing to do with activation.

It may not be too likely that MS will catch you (unless you're distributing it, that's a big no-no). But they could easily disable it. Remember when everyone's pirated Office2k copies were disabled when they updated them? MS could do the same thing with Windows I'm sure. So it's either don't take any updates and have a machine full of exploited security holes, update and cross your fingers (hope you have backups!), or buy a legit copy and don't worry about any of these problems.

#4 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2001 - 10:52 PM

Hi,
thanks for the feedback. But, which one is the evaluation version?
so does that mean that mine is not an evaluation copy?well, i saw in my crack sites where they have the same serial number as i do. i guess that won't be good 'cause then a lot of people are pretty sure using the same serial #. also, i've accidently downloaded the "automatic"update they offer, like a long time ago..so i'm just confused now whether i need to go back to win 98 or can just stay.

#5 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2001 - 10:56 PM

oh btw, if i just go uninstall the xp from "add/remove" program, would that delete all my files in hard drive? or it would just go back to the previous version of windows without affecting anything else?
thanks

#6 Guest_Vvvvvv_*

Guest_Vvvvvv_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2001 - 11:41 AM

Dude, if you have 2600 cracked, theres no need for anything, you HAVE the final now, no worries just sit back and enjoy XP, and update as much as you want cause thats all a bunch of bull[censored]......

#7 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 12:10 PM

I bet they said the same thing about Office 2000.

#8 Guest_Vvvvvv_*

Guest_Vvvvvv_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2001 - 01:52 PM

First of all was i talking to you ?!?!
I was just telling that dude that he can enjoy XP without any problems.....and wtf does office 2000 have to with this.....oh the update you say ??? well why dont you dl it and try it yourself, i'd be happy to bail you out...even though there are Thousands of people running XP now with the same serial and they have all updated so untill then you BUY your damn over-PRIZED copy of XP.......
you dont even know WHY "groups" crack software.......

Sorry if i offended you but dont act like you know everything of a certain subject that you actually dont know [censored] of....

#9 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 02:00 PM

First:

I can reply to anyone I feel like.

Second:

Yeah, and Office 2000 (later versions of it) also had so-called activation. Very weak. One could assume the disabling of pirated copies was also weak. Well, OfficeXP did a little better with activation, and Windows XP even better (far as I can tell, the "activation hack" all the websites are talking about, is nothing more than the corporate key with a corporate iso or any 2600 build with the corporate files). Plus, the first few updates to Office 2000 were fine too weren't they?

Basically, it's a risk. If you want to take it, fine. If not, you can buy WinXP fairly cheap. Remember the day it came out, you could basically get paid to buy it (after all the free hardware, rebates, etc.)? Now what's your reason for not buying it? Afraid activation will get you? Well backup one file on your PC after it's activated, and if you do a clean install again just restore that file (it'll work fine, unless you changed the PC alot from the first install). Want to put it on a laptop too? Call them up to activate the second copy.

Do whatever you want, but don't say you weren't warned if/when something bad happens.

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2001 - 03:48 PM

You are correct about the updates sometimes ruining a "pirate" copy of Office. Last year I had a friend give me a copy of Office 2000 Premium. I wasn't even having any problems with it, it ran beautifully, but I said "what the he**", I ll try and apply SR1 just to keep it up to date. Guess what? After applying SR1 and rebooting, my Office 2000 no longer worked, gave me a message that my PID key was invalid or something to that effect. I don't feel bad abouyt having the pirate version because I already had Office 2000 that was bundled with my PC, but it was just a Small Business version which is all I really need.

If you have pirated software and you actually use it, then, YES, you should go out and purchase the real thing. The only thing that I like about piracy is that you can try before you buy. Damn near impossible to return opened software once you find out that whatever package you're running really does suck and that you were better off without it.

#11 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 07:56 PM

At least for the Windows NT line MS offers an evaluation version so you can try before you buy. I have evaluation CD's of WinNT4, Win2k, and WinXP. Also have one of OfficeXP. BTW the XP products still need activation like regular versions.

Only bad thing, is that unless you're part of a special program, you usually have to pay for the evaluation CD. Kinda sucks. I got NT4 for free, but Win2k was already in late beta. Had to pay for Win2k eval even though I was in the corporate preview. Luckily I got the WinXP one free.

BTW in case anyone's wondering, yes I have legit licenses for Windows XP and Office XP too.

#12 Guest_HImalayas_*

Guest_HImalayas_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2001 - 10:42 PM

may be you should know my xp(exeprience)
I have a private vision of XP
It have run 15 days from I install it
and my computer has been active automatelly after I setup xp
all are ok
I used everything that legit vision can used even the windows--update !windows-plus
I have been ghost one copier
I have no afraid
all above is real
---------------------------my english is worse ,broken .. sorry
Himalayas!

#13 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 10:51 AM

If you have 14 days to activate, it's the evaluation version. Retail versions give you 30 days. I don't know how long an OEM copy would give, I would assume it would be 30 days as well (hope someone can come in and confirm).

#14 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 01:10 PM

a full oem verhas no activation needed if it's bios locked or 30 day it it's not

#15 Guest_Kermit_*

Guest_Kermit_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2001 - 08:19 AM

I have a HongKong version of WinXP (Satan's own).. full version with not actavation required.. I've been to the Microsoft auto update website with no problems.

As for the dork that said after updating Office 2k it was deactivated... That's horse [censored]! I've updated cracked copy's of the following programs from the web with not trouble.. Win98, SE, ME, NT4, 2k, XP, Office 97, 2000 and even Office XP.

#16 Guest_Kermit_*

Guest_Kermit_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2001 - 08:27 AM

one more thing.... Satan's Own is the full OEM with NO acativation and no expiry. I've been running it on two different machines for the better part of 3 months... I've also installed the latest hotfix as well as a pirite copy of Office XP and XP plus.

#17 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 09:11 AM

so you are just bosting about having doggy copies of nearly all the M$ os's & office suites?

#18 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 09:46 AM

I hope for your sake the Mighty Stork never gets you .

#19 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 10:28 AM

Ok dumbass, I think I know what I'm talking about. A quick search found some proof of what I was talking about. Here's one such link: http://www.geek.com/.../nl04052000.htm

And I quote:

Microsoft has recently released a buggy Service Release 1 version of Office 2000 that checks your version of Office 2000--if it deems that it is a pirated version it will disable it. That doesn't sound unreasonable in some aspects, but what other vendor could get away with this? How can Microsoft tell for sure whether your copy of Office 2000 is illegal? How many legitimate users of Office 2000 have been negatively affected by this Service Release. I know I won't be installing it on my machine since I'm not one to "register" software properly, even though I do own a legal copy of it.

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2001 - 02:10 PM

Who ever said that it was deactivated? All I ever said was that it was disabled. BTW, I'm not sure how cracked versions work, but the version I was running wasn't cracked, it was just a copy that was floating around with a PID that worked during install, probably a PID that 1000's of people were using, that's how it got disabled after the update, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.