6 replies to this topic

#1 i_and_identity

i_and_identity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hey yall,

I'm rather new to linux but i wanna start using it coz i'm sick of windoze. I wish to use SuSE 10. Is it any good? Also, i don't understand how to get SuSE, i went to http://www.opensuse.org and went to download it, but there are so many choices. I think the right one for me is SuSE 10 OSS edition which has no pty software. IS this the right choice of should i get sumthin else?
Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

For God's Sake, stop using Micro$oft's stuff - it has security like a piece of swiss cheese!

GET MOZILLA'S FIREFOX AND THUNDERBIRD

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

I just caught wind of Suse 10
Just downloaded and installed SUSE 10 myself a couple days ago
The download went smooth, I used the 5 CD's, I'm sure the single DVD would be fine or better
Downloaded from one of the mirror sites
http://www.novell.co...rrors_isos.html
First time I have ever used Linux
Since I have Spybot's FileAlyzer installed I made sure the MD5's all checked out
This I consider an important step, that way you don't waste your time burning the Image and trying to install with a bad download

I find Suse 10 so far really easy to navigate with and all my hardware except for the Scanner was fully functional on installation
Choice of KDE or GNOME on installation, or you can choose both if you prefer
I went with kde
Installed on another computer with win 98 on the master>>Linux on the slave
It recognized it right off the bat,
It paritioned the second hard drive all on it's own
Decided on it's own I had enough space for Suse and left the rest of the second hard drive for Windows
Not sure if it helps, but realizing that Grub (boot loader) will be installed I Defragged the first harddrive(Windows) before installing
Additionally, I formatted the second harddrive clean before installing and removed partitions
Initially I had the second harddrive partitioned in 3
again may not have to be done, but I did it anyways

Since the wife can't keep away from Windows, I soon figured out how to make the boot loader boot to Windows by default
What a relief!
I'm sure I will reform to Linux 100% in time, or at least 50-50
but for now, I'm glad I took the plunge

Still have to figure out Sane but I'm still learning
I hope to ask a lot of questions to you more experience ppls
What a great experience so far :D

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#3 bobitza

bobitza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

Suse 10.0 is a good start for anyone making the transition from windblows. It has many things on "auto-pilot", and that's a good thing for a linux newbie. Been using Linux for 4 years now ... 3 with Red Hat and 1 with Suse.

#4 Jonathan Fu

Jonathan Fu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

Great choice. I'll go with Suse 10.0, like the above poster suggested. Very stable and a nice OS, if I may say so my self.

#5 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

How does this comare to the Ubuntu 5.10? It is 5.10 right?
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#6 smittastical

smittastical

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

suse linux is lookin pretty sexy right now next to windows with Mandriva's new installer..i know u guys remember the old installers..lol ...its pretty thuro and never worry about crashes with this thing its nutz..paired with a nice pc suse 10 is were its at

#7 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

My son's laptop runs Suse 10.1, he enjoys it...he's only 9 months though. My little sister who's 12 uses Suse 10.2 (and her computer is used by her mom and two younger brothers). My oldest younger brother uses 10.2 also.