230 replies to this topic

#1 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 12:45 AM

hehe...i know this is a stupid question..
but if you don't have a dvd rom and you want to burn dvds, is it possible??

#2 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2001 - 02:08 AM

even if u have a dvd u cant burn dvd rom yet

#3 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 02:31 AM

You need a dvdram drive and a burn program capable of burning dvds

#4 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 05:03 AM

you need ether a dvd-ram, dvd-r or dvd+rw

#5 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 09:39 AM

Of course you need dvdr or dvdrw media why didn't I think about it

#6 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 12:57 PM

hi ,
now i have a dvd rom and a burner,
do you know where can i get dvd ram? or is it supposed to be together with the dvd rom drive

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2001 - 04:54 AM

btw - dvd+rw does not work as this is :
- not endorsed by the DVD forum.
- does not have the ability to copy copyrighted dvd's

Not a flame , just facts

#8 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2001 - 12:04 AM

Well...yeh it does actually have the ability to copy copyrighted dvds. You can copy just about any dvd if you rip it first with vStrip, smartripper, decess, etc... then back onto the disc. Now as far as writing a dvd that is copyrighted i dont know...but it can copy them. As far as dvdram stay away...far away. I had a friend at work that paid like 300 bucks for one....ekk not so good. You could get a decent Pioneer one though...for all kinds of dvd mastering. But dont expect to pay less than 1300 bucks for one. There is some out now that are cheaper...but there not the kind of quality you would preffer to say you spent your money on. Anyways dvdrw is totally nutz...if you look you will be amazed that buy like 50 dvdrw's could cost you more than the 1300 dollar writer. I will stick with 99minute cd's until the double data ones hit the shelf. DVDrw....sure....if money is NO object.

#9 mines

mines

journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 10:27 AM

i heard there is a software called dvd wizard that lets you burn dvd movies with just having dvd-drive and cd-r drive
is that true??

#10 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 12:35 PM

unless it rips the dvd then recodes it, then it wont work

a dvd is apx 4-10 GB cdr axp 650 - 900 mb, so do the maths :)

#11 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 03:03 PM

To burn with a CDRW drive, you're going to have to re-encode that movie. Now, if you only want to play the movie back on your PC, then you'd want to convert to Divx. You can fit about a whole movie if you do it right, on just one cd. If you want to play the movie back on your regular DVD player (to watch on your TV) then you need to convert it to VCD. The standard movie will take two CD's in VCD format.

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2001 - 05:10 PM

how do you actually burn the movie and actually convert it to divx?
can you use nero burn?

#13 Barret

Barret

stranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 09:49 PM

Check out http://www.vcdhelp.com for some great tutorials and http://www.dvd-digest.com for a huge library of software.

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2001 - 12:04 AM

Ok I can say this.. If you produce short movies ie. 30secs. to 3 mins. you can fit that on a single cd. I know I've done it. however I use Avid which takes my video and encodes it to dvd and makes all the appropriate files to go along with it. I then just open nero and write it to my cd. No dvd drive involved.

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2001 - 08:52 AM

To burn a DVD that will run on any DVD drive, you're best bet is a DVD-R drive. In the UK, you can pick them up for 2000. (US $2500). You'll then need the latest version of Nero, which can write DVDs. Unfortunately, if you want to do straight copies of DVD movies, you'll have some trouble. There is some damn hard to crack copy protection sitting there.

So far as i know, straight DVD copying is impossible. It can be done CD to CD though, with CloneCD, which copies the physical CD instead of the information on it. Which gets round the copy protection. I don't think there's anything like that available for DVDs though.

BigAndy
[email protected]

#16 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 10:06 AM

direct dvd coping is very hard but there are apps out there that removes the protection from the dvd. They are based on an linux dvd player that was relieced for a short time untill the us courst told them that it was illagle, but by that time the code was out there for poelpe to play with. So if you use one of those apps you could copy a dvd in theory, but we dont break the law here so it would be for personal backup's only

#17 Guest_Dr Lagoon_*

Guest_Dr Lagoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2001 - 07:14 AM

Hallo! Wake up. I have got a DVD burner for about half a year now. You can copy DVD.

#18 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 12:13 PM

were not saying that the hardware isnt there, but the protection on the disks is. That is what makes them hard to copy

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2002 - 10:23 AM

where can i find a program to re-encode the movies?

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2002 - 07:23 PM

could you show me step by step how the dvd burner works, and if i need another program to allow me to burn dvd, or is there a site?