20 replies to this topic

#1 rs owner

rs owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:50 AM

I have no idea what overclocking is can anybody tell me? :)
Posted Image

#2 Jonathan Fu

Jonathan Fu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hello,

Overclocking is, from Wiki is

Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate than designed or designated by the manufacturer.

Overclocking is usually practiced by PC enthusiasts in order to increase the performance of their computers. Some hardware enthusiasts purchase low-end computer components which they then overclock, thereby attaining performance of a high-end system, while others will overclock high-end components, attaining levels of performance that surpass the peformance of the newest generation of computer hardware.

-Jonathan Fu B)

#3 rs owner

rs owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:45 AM

Oh wow that seems nice is there any side-effects, I mean is there any problem at all in doing that?
Posted Image

#4 bobloblaw

bobloblaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:12 AM

yes. it decreases the life of the hardware.

#5 rs owner

rs owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

Oh, thats not good is it now.
Posted Image

#6 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, it might decrease the life of your processor from 20 years down to 15 years, or even 10 years. It's all relative.

If you take baby steps, you should be able to eek out a little more performance without any side effects whatsoever. If you go all out and bump the voltage to crazy levels and really push it, you could burn up more than just the processor. Also, most motherboards let you set the fsb separate from the rest of the components (forgive me, I can't remember the term right off). Basically, on an old motherboard if you ran at anything other than 66, 100, or 133MHz, you'd be running everything out of spec (ram, pci bus and thus hard drive, all your cards...etc.). Most now will let you play with the fsb separately, so everything else stays within spec (except maybe ram, but you can bump its speed down no problem).

Ok, short version, play it safe, do it gently, and you'll be fine. You won't get a huge overclock like many, but you also won't have to worry about your PC blowing up (well, you won't have to worry as much). Also, if you have an oem PC, i.e. Dell, Compaq, HP, etc., then you're outta luck. They lock down the bios so you can't overclock. May be ways around it, but probably not worth it.

#7 rs owner

rs owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for the summary ######, just one more thing is the overclocking process done with software of hardware, I mean do you use a device or program?
Posted Image

#8 supraskater

supraskater

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, it might decrease the life of your processor from 20 years down to 15 years, or even 10 years. It's all relative.

If you take baby steps, you should be able to eek out a little more performance without any side effects whatsoever. If you go all out and bump the voltage to crazy levels and really push it, you could burn up more than just the processor. Also, most motherboards let you set the fsb separate from the rest of the components (forgive me, I can't remember the term right off). Basically, on an old motherboard if you ran at anything other than 66, 100, or 133MHz, you'd be running everything out of spec (ram, pci bus and thus hard drive, all your cards...etc.). Most now will let you play with the fsb separately, so everything else stays within spec (except maybe ram, but you can bump its speed down no problem).

Ok, short version, play it safe, do it gently, and you'll be fine. You won't get a huge overclock like many, but you also won't have to worry about your PC blowing up (well, you won't have to worry as much). Also, if you have an oem PC, i.e. Dell, Compaq, HP, etc., then you're outta luck. They lock down the bios so you can't overclock. May be ways around it, but probably not worth it.

so your basicly saying only the "custom built" computers can be overclocked? Cause I have a HP

#9 Beomagi

Beomagi

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:00 AM

you can overclock from software, using tools like clockgen, riva tuner(videocards) etc. or from the bios

If you have an hp, then while it's possible to find a clockgen that works, your board isn't going to be designed the way an enthusiast board is designed - you'd lack voltage increments, fsb increments, the power phase to the chip wont be as overdone as say, a DFI or ABIT board.

As for decreasing the life - it depends on the manner of the overclock (as J0etann outlined), and the processor.

e.g. The athlon xp-m. These were desktop bartons retested at lower voltages to see if they'd work. You could take one of these and jsut increase the fsb from 266MHz to 400MHz, drop the multiplier to 2/3 it's value, and set the voltage to that of the desktop counterpart, and it would run almost guaranteed. You wont be decreasing the lifetime compared to the other desktop chips because it was designed to handle that voltage, only tested to run with less. after that keep in creasing the multiplier, and you'd get anywhere from 2.3 to 2.7GHz on the old athlon-xp core. Not bad at all for back then

e.g.2 The 2.4C northwood. If a company has as easy time making chips, they wont sell all at just high speed. They'd lose out on either low end if it's too costly, or high end if it's too cheap. So intel for a while underclocked their chips. 2.4C northwood pentium 4s would easily run at 3.0 to 3.2 GHz without any voltage increase. Keep in mind, these chips are TESTED and set; they're designed to run at these speeds. But either one test failed, or they had a glut of high speed chips and had to make up bottom.

e.g.3 The pentium-m/celeron-m on desktop. Intels hottest chip - surprised? There's a difference between power and temperature. The prescott runs at about 60-70C tops (safely) but produces up to 130W. Old pentium-m's were designed to run even at 100C, but produced only 30W. Why was it hotter? It was designed to handle being in a crappy environment - a laptop. Not much cooling. Oh the pentium 4 on your lap can cause burns - because the heat energy given off is sooo much, but the "hot" pentium-m on your lap barely made you sweat. When desktop boards were available, overclockers put desktop heatsinks on these, letting them safely pump voltages through it and overclock them without worry on shortened lifespans.

e.g.4 This is BAD
Posted Image
The newcastle 130nm line doesn't like to be overclocked. The voltage isnt correct but i was still pushing 1.6+ which is scary. Only did that once, but if i had run this chip for a long time, then that would have burnt up easy :)

Edited by Beomagi, 09 May 2006 - 09:01 AM.

#10 kusiobache

kusiobache

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

wrong there in the last 2 sentences, they lock down on them, and they can tell if its messed up byoverclocking, but i got a dell and i overclocked it. its been 3 years smooth, running amazingly, and i got around it.(btw never open up a dell 2 see whats inside if ur curious. they ahve a red button in there and if tis opened the button pops out and then if u send it in 2 the factory popped out theyw otn do anything. maybe not for all dells but it is for mine and my friends)
Posted Image
Posted Image
acc transactions
bought an account from I Kreezo I 2m---------unsuccesful
bought rs account from "toxicsnipe" 1.5m----------unsuccessful
swapped acc with Net 3.1(they went 1st)----------------------unsuccesful(not recomended)
bought an acc from swerve33(diff site)--------------succesful
sold level 124 to dude wheres my camel?(no mm, he went first)-------------succesful(very very highly recomended)
mming transactions
STILL MMING. my msn is [email protected]gmail.com no -
mmed 75k for HyBryDmOnStEr and G o d z P l a y a -------1st succesful transaction!!!!
TRANSACTIONS
sold adobe photoshop 8 to Dimethyltryptamine2------------------Succesful(very very highly recomended)
TEH SIG SHOP
sold sig to They call me the OwNaGE-------------- completed*unpaid*
sold sig to dude wheres my camel?-----------------completed(recomended)
GET GREAT SIGS CHEAP AND I MEAN CHEAP HERE
CLICK HERE

MILLS
sold 4m for 20 usd to who cares i went 1st-----------successful i recomend him

#11 muhahaha

muhahaha

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

you can overclock from software, using tools like clockgen, riva tuner(videocards) etc. or from the bios

If you have an hp, then while it's possible to find a clockgen that works, your board isn't going to be designed the way an enthusiast board is designed - you'd lack voltage increments, fsb increments, the power phase to the chip wont be as overdone as say, a DFI or ABIT board.

As for decreasing the life - it depends on the manner of the overclock (as J0etann outlined), and the processor.

e.g. The athlon xp-m. These were desktop bartons retested at lower voltages to see if they'd work. You could take one of these and jsut increase the fsb from 266MHz to 400MHz, drop the multiplier to 2/3 it's value, and set the voltage to that of the desktop counterpart, and it would run almost guaranteed. You wont be decreasing the lifetime compared to the other desktop chips because it was designed to handle that voltage, only tested to run with less. after that keep in creasing the multiplier, and you'd get anywhere from 2.3 to 2.7GHz on the old athlon-xp core. Not bad at all for back then

e.g.2 The 2.4C northwood. If a company has as easy time making chips, they wont sell all at just high speed. They'd lose out on either low end if it's too costly, or high end if it's too cheap. So intel for a while underclocked their chips. 2.4C northwood pentium 4s would easily run at 3.0 to 3.2 GHz without any voltage increase. Keep in mind, these chips are TESTED and set; they're designed to run at these speeds. But either one test failed, or they had a glut of high speed chips and had to make up bottom.

e.g.3 The pentium-m/celeron-m on desktop. Intels hottest chip - surprised? There's a difference between power and temperature. The prescott runs at about 60-70C tops (safely) but produces up to 130W. Old pentium-m's were designed to run even at 100C, but produced only 30W. Why was it hotter? It was designed to handle being in a crappy environment - a laptop. Not much cooling. Oh the pentium 4 on your lap can cause burns - because the heat energy given off is sooo much, but the "hot" pentium-m on your lap barely made you sweat. When desktop boards were available, overclockers put desktop heatsinks on these, letting them safely pump voltages through it and overclock them without worry on shortened lifespans.

e.g.4 This is BAD
Posted Image
The newcastle 130nm line doesn't like to be overclocked. The voltage isnt correct but i was still pushing 1.6+ which is scary. Only did that once, but if i had run this chip for a long time, then that would have burnt up easy :)

Possible slight understatement :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 brent

brent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

wow i just learned alot
Bought 3 mill off Quantumcube (SUCCESFULL)-no mm-i went first
bought 5 mill off Quantumcube (SUCCESFULL)-no mm-i went first
bought 4 mill off Quantumcube (SUCCESFULL)-no mm-i went first
sold 4 mill to santa(i thinkk his name had santa in it,i dont remember) (SUCCESFULL)-no mm-he went first

#13 WannabeHacker

WannabeHacker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:07 AM

:ph34r: Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what is clockgen?

#14 New Era

New Era

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

Should i overclock my 3.4ghz computer? I'm a bit worried because the last time i attempted overclocking my 1.7ghz blew up. -.-

#15 White Fire

White Fire

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

wow lots of reading thx for info
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

THESE SINGS ARE BOUGHT FROM BLUE SMOKE AND HE HAS THEM FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOLD LEVEL 88 TO BLUESMOKE NO MIDDLEMAN HE WENT FIRST GREAT TRADE! BLUE HAS MY TRUST!

#16 kingikz1001

kingikz1001

Forum Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:18 AM

ill advise not to overclock tooo risky
My Current Contact Profile

MSN: [email protected] mail.com ( MY ONE AND ONLY MSN )
Email: [email protected] mail.com
aim: None

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-= Successful Transactions/Trades =- [/b]

1) Bought 1 PBP Pin From Spin -- SUCCESSFUL
2) Bought 1 Avatar From Xtreme -- SUCCESSFUL
3) Bought 1M From Xtreme -- SUCCESSFUL
4) Bought Account For 6M From Ish -- SUCCESSFUL
5) Bought 5M From WorldSpyyen -- SUCCESSFUL
6) Bought 7M From Netsurf -- SUCCESSFUL
7) Bought PBP From Kane09-- SUCCESSFUL
8) Bought 1.5M From harrasment panda -- SUCCESSFUL
9) Bought PBP From Kane09-- SUCCESSFUL
10) Sold 1.5 Beckywilky-- SUCCESSFUL
11) Bought Sig From k10201-- SUCCESSFUL
12) Sold Account to Muhahaha for $60-- SUCCESSFUL
13) Sold a Lvl 87 Main to LilIce-- SUCCESSFUL
14) Bought Signature From DevilMan-- SUCCESSFUL
16 Sold lvl 91 Account to LionHeart -- SUCCESSFUL
17 Sold 5M More To BeckyWilky -- SUCCESSFUL
18 Bought 15M From Quantumcube2-- SUCCESSFUL
19 Sold lvl 61 pure to The Stig -- SUCCESSFUL
20 Sold a Lvl 4m to access-- SUCCESSFUL
21 Bought Awesome Rune Pure From Access-- SUCCESSFUL
22 Bought 13M From RS2 Salesman-- SUCCESSFUL
23 Sold Sig To I r Mexican -- SUCCESSFUL
24 Sold Sig To SteveMB -- SUCCESSFUL
25 Sold 2M To Runescape-Elite-- SUCCESSFUL
25 Bought 3M From Quantumcube-- SUCCESSFUL
26 Sold Full Rune For �2 To BloodFire -- SUCCESSFUL
27 Sold RS Private Server for a rune pure to rugby-- SUCCESSFUL
28 Sold Another RS Private server for 4M To Toontown Lover-- SUCCESSFUL
29 Bought Steam Account for 1.7M From Koopa -- SUCCESSFUL

---------------------------------------------------------------

-= Unsuccessful Transactions -=

30) Bought Account For 7M From Trusted Mills -- UNSUCCESSFUL
31) 30 Sold 10M to Vitaa {[email protected] mail.com}-- UNSUCCESSFUL {HE DID A CHARGEBACK OF $200}
32) 30 Sold 15M to Vitaa {[email protected] mail.com}-- UNSUCCESSFUL {DID A CHARGEBACK-- Said His mother did it}

--------------------------------------------------------------------

-= MM'ing History -=

1)MM'ed Red Haloween Mask -- SUCCESS
2)MM'ed 14M -- SUCCESS
3)MM'ed Account And 100k for RunescapeElite and Ragkilla -- SUCCESS
4)MM'ed Account And PBP -- SUCCESS
5)MM'ed 1M And Account -- For RSGOD and Jimbio Cancelled
6)MM'ed Account And 1M -- SUCCESS
7)MM'ed 5M And lvl 102 Account -- SUCCESS
8)MM'ed 2.5M And Account -- SUCCESS
9)MM'ed PBP Pin and 1M -- Cancelled
10)MM'ed Lvl 104 And 7M For b 0 n 3 s and Rawr -- Rawr Recovered Back Account
11)MM'ed Rune Pure And 1M -- SUCCESS
12)MM'ed lvl 101 and 4.4mil For k kwik And Adam-- SUCCESS
13)MM'ed a tank pure and a mage pure for k kwik and adam -- CANCELLED
14)MM'ed 3M and Account -- SUCCESS
15)MM'ed 1.2mil and a pbp for runescapemastax and itstime2go -- SUCESS
16)MM'ed Mage Pure and private server for im so wanted and rs2 buyer -- SUCCESS
17)MM'ed A pure and 400k for K kwik and ragkilla -- Cancelled cus account has recovs
18)MM'ed 1M And PBP Between guku16 and Brad -- SUCCESS
19)MM'ed PBP and 1mil for Bloodogre and love is trust -- SUCCESS
20)MM'ed PBP and 1.1mil for BloodFire and The Old RS Elite -- SUCESS
21)MM'ed 60M For Mindlogiczero and propillaz -- propillaz dide a chargeback a day later
22)MM'ed 2.1M and Mage Pure for New Era and devil-may-cry -- SUCCESS
23)Transfered 900k from one account to another for devil-may-cry-- SUCESS
24)MM'ed Account and 3M for kimotje1 and New Era -- SUCCESSFUL
25)MM'ed 10M and lvl 102 account for darkskater and Slicker --SUCCESFUL
26)MM'ed account and 5M for Meister and Matt -- SUCCESS
27) MM'ed PBP and 900k for wackopal and ruzZ -- SUCCESSFULL
  • Owner Of W.E (warriors elite)
  • Administrator At RS2MM
  • Official MM And Elite Anti-scammer at TTG
  • Ex-Admin At Hostile (Due To Inactivity)
  • Moserator At Elite-Fleet
  • [b]Admin At Empire-Elite
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Tat

Tat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

I wouldnt overclock unless your hella good with computers and know what your cpu's limits are
My msn/e-mail is gonzalez_112 @ m5n .c0m
So add me on msn messenger leave me an offline or two, or just send an e-mail
Trades so far:
Bought 1m pin From beren(SUCESsFUL) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Sold level 124 for 440$ Usd Paypal - Sucessful
Scammers:
Sold my level 121 to Joejoe for 200$ paypal, beren mmed (did a chargeback) beren i still a great mm
Moataz - Attempted to scam my level 121
violentkid449 - stole items of my 120 and tried to steal it.
Ihatescamers!!! Proof can be found Here

#18 D rock

D rock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

ok another thing on how it may decrease the life of your pc by making the capacitors leak out the fluid inside them, thus making your motherboard useless.
Posted Image

----Scammers Must Die----

New Msn: [email protected] (my other msn had way to many ppl i didnt know lol)

Rent History:
rented out to BUYINGRS2MILLS: Scammed, said he would pay back now hes not answering me!
Rented to Strac: Scammed, acted nice at first i get back from eatin and he pms me [censored] you and took some stupid stuff out of my bank and never paid!

Transaction History:

1. bought 19m from GoldSeller24: Succesfull, Highly recomended
2. tried to sell my lvl 108 to ihatescammers: Scammed(I went first to be nice then he kept stalling to give me 35m)
3. tried to sell my lvl 108 to dude wheres my camel:
Nuetral, he got my account locked but i got it back so we diceded not to go through with the trade anymore.

MMing/User Service History:
[size=2]none yet =)

#19 scaminisbadd

scaminisbadd

Forum Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

im confused
trusted waynepoolo to train my acc: scammed!! noobish scammers
trusted -.- to train my acc: unsuccesfull he didnt even do anything
gave away acc to nestea12 succesfull lol isnt it supposed to be succesful
got a sig from assigment successful its awesome

total of 4 weeks and 2 days banned becasue I spammed
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quiting runescape forever im here just to mess around

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSN: [email protected]

People i hate here on TTG
Fear Me
gogpimp
Range Pker

the earliest post i can find for me

1000th post

Posted Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEED A TRANIER ADD MY MSN IF INTERESTED

#20 Holy Man

Holy Man

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

You comp can over heat and some parts can melt and bust, or smoke and catch fire. You can used a liquid cooling system (insted of that annoying fan.) www.howstuffworks.com has a good article on liquid cooled comps.
Pairlin Of Gzp

[email protected]

"Dont show him the taste of a beaver when it hesaitates" Gnar Kill

Bought 2 Pins from powpowerkidfor 2m --Pure mm-- *Good*