- - - - -

XP BOOT SCREENS

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SmyLer_*

Guest_SmyLer_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2001 - 07:47 AM

Do you need something to enable the boot screens for Windows XP ? because i have folowed the instructions very closely and it dosny work so plz if there is can you send me the link for the download so i can enable it plz :):)

THX

SmyLer

THX AGAIN

#2 Barret

Barret

stranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 December 2001 - 07:02 PM

There isn't anything that you need to "enable". What is the exact problem you are having? Try to be a little more specific.

Note: there is already a thread that you can post in for the Windows XP Boot Screen How-to.

#3 Guest_SmyLer_*

Guest_SmyLer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2001 - 11:43 AM

When ive restarted it dosnt work it stays on the normal screen !! why ? and ive folloewd t ehe instucions very carefully PLZ HELP IM BEGGIN YOU !!!

#4 Guest_SmyLer_*

Guest_SmyLer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2001 - 11:43 AM

When ive restarted it dosnt work it stays on the normal screen !! why ? and ive folloewd t ehe instucions very carefully PLZ HELP IM BEGGIN YOU !!!

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2001 - 01:32 AM

try this place

http://www.themexp.org

#6 Guest_SmyLer_*

Guest_SmyLer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2001 - 08:30 AM

It still isnt working and thx 4 the webby but there isnt anythin on there about the boot screens plz help,im beggin if any 1 can tell!! how do you boot in to Comand prompt because i have XP and it dont do that so you use the windows based 1 but how do you restart do i just restart or is there another way plz help me thx

#7 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 09:42 AM

If you mean a way to change the logon screen for winxp there is a program to do it :
http://www.fileforum...?fid=1008745291
Your explanation is hard to understand

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2001 - 03:30 PM

you probably have a problem with the power management system under controlpanel--> display-->screensaver(i believe...can't remember 'cause i'm in another computer with 98..)--> then you can try advance maybe.
well, it should be under the setting where you setup the monitor power,etc.
it's a similar problem with when you can shutdown properly..
good luck

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2001 - 01:40 PM

http://www.themexp.org/howto.php

you have to replace the ntoskrln.exe in safe mode dos promt.
Details in link above

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2002 - 01:13 AM

To boot into the command prompt you must press F8 before your boot screen comes on. Look at your keyboard and when it comes on just press F8 or just keep pressing F8 until you get to a prompt that asks you which version of XP to load and at the bottom it says to press F8 for troubleshooting purposes. So press F8 here then you have another menu with about 6 choices, choose safe mode with command prompt and let it load. You will actually log into windows itself but upon doing so you will have the command prompt and then you need to copy your ntoskrnl.exe to your C:WindowsSystem32 folder and then after doing so press Ctrl, Alt, Del to throw up the task manger and select shut down then restart. If all went well you should see you new boot screen. Note: Before doing any of this make sure you have made a backup copy of your original file somewhere so you can always go back to it if something goes wrong.

#11 Guest_eekarum_*

Guest_eekarum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2002 - 09:10 PM

add a /NOGUIBOOT switch in the BOOT.INI file

example:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2002 - 07:26 AM

A backup copy of the original file isn't enough. I had a backup and installed a new boot screen, but the new boot screen would just stop. I thought, "I'll just restore my backup!" But no, with a messed up ntoskrnl.exe I couldn't even get to a command prompt. it would just blue screen with a page fault. Not knowing any way to get a prompt *and* be able to access the NTFS hd I had to repair XP from the installation CD. Not fun!

Is there a way to get a command prompt with NTFS access with a corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file?

#13 Guest_likwidsilv3r_*

Guest_likwidsilv3r_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 09:48 AM

Boot Screens

If you have multiple boot screens that you would like to select between, please look at this app. http://www.flvip.com/bootxp. Looks like a very nice utility.
Backup (copy) the file %windir%system32ntoskrnl.exe (most likely C:windowssystem32ntoskrnl.exe - the boot screen)
Download the .zip to your computer
Extract ntoskrnl.exe to a directory other than %windir%system32 (most likely C:windowssystem32)
Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)
Overwrite the file %windir%system32ntoskrnl.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe
Reboot your computer as you normally would

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2002 - 12:32 PM

damn i did it wrong, i made a backup of the file and inserted the new .exe and it works but the problem is that just before the boot up it says invalid bootup.ini any ideas on what to do

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2002 - 11:25 PM

if you boot off of your xp disc, assuming it is bootable, choose the option to use the repair. Your backup copy must be in %windir%windows or below though!! I had the same problem, and I know how much it can suck! :-)

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 10:35 AM

but.....i am a n00b and i dont knwo how to over right a file in DOS!!1

PLS HElP ME!

#17 Guest_Koko_*

Guest_Koko_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:21 AM

well its actually fairly easy to boot with a diff screen ... just copy your new kernel ( lets say you call it mykrnl.exe) to the dir ntoskrnl.exe is in .. and edit your boot.ini
you should have something like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

just edit it to this :

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional hacked logo" /fastdetect /kernel=mykrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

then all you need to do is reboot ... then choise the one you want ...

koko ;)

#18 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2002 - 09:56 PM

To get to the WinXP boot screens, keep hitting the F8 key it should bring you to a Boot Options screen.

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2002 - 02:12 AM

I have the BootXp program and it works really good (for a freeware program). I don't have to touch my ntoskrnl.exe file or go into safe mode (and all that good stuff) and i can select from different boot screens it even has a random screen feature. try downloading it at download.com or bootxp.net i hope this solves your problem.

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:43 PM

in your C:windowssystem32 folder is a File Called ntoskrnel Back it Up In A new Folder For Safty Then Boot Into Safe Mode by Pressing F8 rapidly Before the Boot screen shows up in might take a min so dont panick so then go back to that same folder and drag and drop your new boot screen (ntoskrenl.exe Folder) it in the folder then say yes to replace the folder Good Luck.