- - - - -

Security Rollup Package

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2002 - 07:02 AM

where is MS's OEM site? is it password-protected?

#22 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 June 2002 - 01:12 AM

oem.microsoft.com
You have to register

#23 Guest_Harjit S. Batra_*

Guest_Harjit S. Batra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2002 - 07:42 PM

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Delete all duplicate files in the i386 folder, whenever there is a compressed one (this is a bit time consuming). Every *.dl_ and *.ex_ should be deleted. The beginning of the file is the same, for example MAILMSG.DL_ and mailmsg.dll. Always delete the older. (Just ignore if there is no duplicate. These files are supposedly for w2k serv and adv serv)
## Maybe someone invents an easier way ##
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, assuming you are doing this on a W2K box, open a command prompt at the I386 folder and type this:

for %X in (*.dl_) do if exist %~nX.dll del %X

and then repeat for (ex_ exe) (in_ inf) (sy_ sys) (ce_ cer) (zi_ zip)!

If you are paranoid, you could move instead of deleting!

Also, if you are doing a bunch of hotfixes, after expanding each hotfix, search for and delete the files hotfix.exe, hotfix.inf, spmsg.dll and the symbols folders from all expanded folders. If you have already located the most recent sp3.cat and moved it and other .cat files to I386, then delete those too. NOW you are ready to move all files from the expanded folders to the I386 folder.

#24 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Harjit! If this really works it will save a lot of time.

Taking this method a bit further you could make a batchfile to automatically delete all duplicate files. I will have to try it out.

#25 Guest_Harjit S. Batra_*

Guest_Harjit S. Batra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2002 - 09:00 AM

Anybody know where I can get a copy of the catver.exe file?

Also, any help/instructions on installing the following as part of the INSTALL will be appreciated:
a) Critical Updates Notification
B) Installer

Thanks!

#26 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 04:07 AM

MS says the catver is only for internal use. Does this mean it is illegal to distribute it?

You can use Wininstall LE on w2k CD. Take before snapshot. Got to update, install Critical updates, take after snapshot and you have a *.msi package usable for install. the same with Root certificate etc.

If you mean Windows installer, just explode the package and use the approporiate file

#27 Guest_Digitalfox_*

Guest_Digitalfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2002 - 08:52 PM

So does anyone have a full list of directions on how to slip stream the SRP or should i just wait for SP3 send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you have the direction it gets to confusing on here cause it always oh wiat i forgot this.

#28 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2002 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

Well ive been working on my own unattended install for more than a year now... funny only now do I find this forum. All the info here is really awesome but I havent seen any mention of any WFP issues, which is what are still stumping me.

Particularly, with IE 6 (win2k download only package), when installing (with /Q:A /R:N) in Cmdlines.txt, I get 3 errors in my setuperr.log:

Error: Setup detected that the system file named [e:win2000system32dxmasf.dll] is not signed properly by Microsoft. This file has been restored to the correct Microsoft version to maintain system stability.
Error: Setup detected that the system file named [e:win2000system32msdxm.ocx] is not signed properly by Microsoft. This file has been restored to the correct Microsoft version to maintain system stability.
Error: Setup detected that the system file named [e:win2000system32strmdll.dll] is not signed properly by Microsoft. This file has been restored to the correct Microsoft version to maintain system stability.

Yeah so basically this is windows media player (Except for strmdll).However, I dont get any WFP messages anywhere if I install it after Win2k wetup (e.g. GUiRunOnce), although the same files are present after both methods (Medie Player is still 6.4---1109). Not sure why Microsoft would send me something I didnt need but oh well... I just hate having error messages.

Now that was just asthetics really (cause media player has a later update) but I have a different problem with DX 8.1. Regardless of when I install it, I get 4 WFP messages in my event viewer upon the next boot.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64002
Date: 6/19/2002
Time: 2:55:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: C201753-A
Description:
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file ksinterf.ax. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.0.2134.1.
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file ksdata.ax. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.0.2134.1.
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file ksvpintf.ax. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.0.2134.1.
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file ksclockf.ax. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.0.2165.1.

In this case apparently, I am stuck with older AX files. I believe that they are involved with streaming media, and particularly with filtering and redirecting streams through different devices (e.g. audio streams from the net). I also get the same 4 WFP messages again when I install my sound card (Hercules GTXP).

Has anyone encountered anything of this sort? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

#29 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 06:44 AM

Use IEAK6, make a fully unattended install package. Then you only need to run ie6setup in cmdlines.txt or in a batchfile if you prefer. I use that method, it is easier to troubleshoot. Here is my ie6.bat:
@echo off
echo Installing Internet Explorer 6 and some patches
echo.
echo Installing...
echo.
echo Please wait
C:WINAPPSIE6IE6SETUP.EXE
;endfile

When you use IEAK6 you can even integrate som updates and hotfixes directly into that package. I have the following files integrated: appupd.exe, auroconv.exe, jet35sp3.exe, mmsetup.exe, VBRun60sp5.exe, vbs56nen.exe and the hotfix q319182.

After upgrading IE, you could also add WMP7 to your cmdlines.txt.

No ideas about your DX problem, sorry

#30 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 05:37 AM

My DOS knowledge is not what it should be. With the syntax

for %X in (*.dl_) do if exist %~nX.dll del %X

I cannot get it to work. Is the syntax correct?

I am trying to make a general batchfile for deleting all duplicates after copying every hotfix in chronological order

#31 c400a

c400a

stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 10:13 AM

Hi, All

Thanks for the info, I`ve successfuly built a fully patched Win2k install. here`s my contribution to the forum.

You can build a batch file from the temp dir where you extracted the files

run the following command in the i386 folder of the extracted SRP1 files, at the CMD Prompt.

dir /s /b>cleanup.txt

This is what it does:
dir /s (will recurse all sub-dirs) /b (bare format no headers)>output file for listing.txt

your cleanup.txt will be a file list of that dir, using notepad or i prefer metapad replace the last character of the file extensions.

so find .dll replace with .dl_ and so on. Use replace again to add del to the start of each line along with the correct path to your build dir.

Re-save the file as cleanup.bat or whatever and then you can launch it in your patched i386 dir to remove the files, just create lists in each of the Qxxx directories for the post srp1 hotfixes and paste the required entries, in the file to remove the compressed files. I`ll post my listing for the SRP1 dir, as a TXT You`ll need to change the path to the files and rename it to a .bat file.

Any questions PM me or post I`ll try to keep a check.

Anyone fancy collating all this data into a webpage or two I`m willing to write a few pages. As i`ve got all this working, plus i`m loading IE6 using IEAK with all patched DX8.1, Arcrobat 5 reader and a zip tool all silently during installation via unattended scripting and modifiying the install via KIX scripting.

Anyone considered applying these steps to update XP.

All the Best

Ian (C400a)

A bit of DOS is good for the soul

#32 jiimmy

jiimmy

stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 04:14 AM

I posted above about the WFP errors and just registered.

Well, I finally wrote a batch file to do this stuff. I guess I will attach it to this post (if it works) or just post it below in its own post. I didnt know jack about batch files before this so its not perfect, but it works for me.

To see the argument syntax use the /? switch.

Anyways I fixed my prob by using IEAK to make a package that didnt have windows media player.

Also, there is something else someone may find interesting. I used Wininstall LE to repackage the Windows Critical Update Notification and root certificates but the LE is kinda clumsy and very indescriminant so I went about another way. By searching around in files I was able to find the following:

rootsupd.exe ( the roots certificate install ) at:

http://www.download....D5E13152EBE.exe

iuctl.cab ( the Windows Update install ) at:

http://v4.windowsupd...7433.6368287037

The cab file I repackaged with iexpress.exe in IEAK (and if you havent tried it, iexpress is the best thing since sliced cheese)

Now im gonna try to slip in Dx8.1.

#33 jiimmy

jiimmy

stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 05:25 PM

So I guess attaching the file did not work (what a surprise). Here is the file's contents. Just paste the lines below the dashed line into a text file and name it slipsteam.bat (or whatever you like).

*watch out for lines that are wrapped because of your browser screen width. Batch file processing is not very forgiving as ive found out.

slipstream.bat -- file begins below next line
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ECHO OFF

REM This batch file will call itself with
REM delayed environment variable expansion enabled
REM which is required for the FOR loop to work.

SETLOCAL

IF "%1" == "" (GOTO :Syntax)
IF "%1" == "-?" (GOTO :Syntax)
IF "%1" == "/?" (GOTO :Syntax)
GOTO :ReqCheck

:Syntax

ECHO;
ECHO Replaces all compressed versions of newer files in the build directory.
ECHO;
ECHO Usage: slipstream.bat [/b path] [/m path] [/x [/q]] [/nolog] [/test]
ECHO;
ECHO Parameters:
ECHO /b "dir" - Specifies "dir" as the build (i386) directory (defaults to current).
ECHO /m "dir" - Specifies "dir" as the directory to put replaced files (defaults to build).
ECHO /x - Deletes replaced files (overrides /m).
ECHO /q - No delete prompts.
ECHO /nolog - Supresses file replacement messages.
ECHO /test - Emulation mode. Prints messages instead of replacing files.
ECHO;
ECHO Example: slipstream.bat /b D:CDi386 /m .i386_replaced /nolog /test
GOTO :Finish

:ReqCheck

SET envTest=failed
FOR /L %%X IN (1,1,1) DO (
SET envTest=passed
IF NOT !envTest! == passed (
ECHO --------------------------------------------------
ECHO Enabling delayed environment variable expansion...
ECHO --------------------------------------------------
CMD /V:ON /S /K %~f0 %*
GOTO :Finish
)
)

REM Parse parameters

SET buildDir=
SET quiet=no
SET moveDir=
SET delete=no
SET nolog=no
SET emulate=no

IF "%1" == "/b" (
SET buildDir=%~f2
IF "!buildDir:~-1,1!" == "" (SET buildDir=!buildDir:~0,-1!)
SHIFT 1
SHIFT 1
) ELSE (
FOR /F "usebackq" %%D IN (`CD`) DO (SET buildDir=%%D)
)
IF "%1" == "/m" (
SET moveDir=%~f2
IF "!moveDir:~-1,1!" == "" (SET moveDir=!moveDir:~0,-1!)
SHIFT 1
SHIFT 1
) ELSE (
SET moveDir=%buildDir%
)
IF "%1" == "/x" (
SET delete=yes
SHIFT 1
)
IF "%1" == "/q" (
SET quiet=yes
SHIFT 1
)
IF "%1" == "/nolog" (
SET nolog=yes
SHIFT 1
)
IF "%1" == "/test" (
SET emulate=yes
SHIFT 1
)

REM Check directories.

IF NOT EXIST "%buildDir%" (
ECHO Invalid build directory "%buildDir%"
GOTO :Syntax
)
IF NOT EXIST "%moveDir%" (
MKDIR "%moveDir%"
IF NOT EXIST "%moveDir%" (
ECHO Invalid move directory "%moveDir%"
GOTO :Syntax
)
)

:Start

ECHO;
ECHO Build directory is: "%buildDir%"
IF %delete% == no (
ECHO Replaced files will be moved to: "%moveDir%"
) ELSE (
ECHO Replaced files will be deleted.
)
IF %quiet% == yes (ECHO Quiet mode enabled.)
IF %nolog% == yes (ECHO Logging mode disabled.)
IF %emulate% == yes (ECHO Emulation mode enabled.)
ECHO;
PAUSE

REM Find, then move or delete replaced files. This checks all
REM files in the build dir (and sub-dirs) that dont end with
REM an underscore. If a file is found that has the same name
REM except with an underscore as its last char, then it is
REM moved or deleted.

SET file=
SET fileEnd=
SET fileCount=0
SET delSwitch=/P /F
IF %quiet% == yes (SET delSwitch=/F /Q)

FOR /R "%buildDir%" %%X IN (*.*) DO (
SET file=%%~fX
SET fileEnd=!file:~-1,1!
IF NOT "!fileEnd!" == "_" (
SET file=!file:~0,-1!_
IF EXIST "!file!" (
IF %delete% == yes (
IF %nolog% == no (ECHO deleting "!file!")
IF %emulate% == no (DEL !delSwitch! "!file!")
) ELSE (
IF %nolog% == no (ECHO moving "!file!" to "!file:%buildDir%=%moveDir%!")
IF %emulate% == no (MOVE "!file!" "!file:%buildDir%=%moveDir%!")
)
SET /A fileCount+=1
)
)
)
ECHO;
ECHO %fileCount% files were found.

:Finish

ENDLOCAL

#34 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for the batchfile, pretty impressive work. I have to try it out. I also got hang of how to delete the duplicate compressed files. Put the following in a batch file and run it (if your project is in d:w2ki386)

CD /D D:w2ki386
FOR %%X IN (*.dl_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.dll DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.ex_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.exe DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.in_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.inf DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.sy_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.sys DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.ce_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.cer DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.ca_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.cat DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.zi_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.zip DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.cp_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.cpl DEL %%X
CD uniproc
FOR %%X IN (*.dl_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.dll DEL %%X
FOR %%X IN (*.sy_) DO IF EXIST %%~nX.sys DEL %%X
;endfile

Iexpress is a superb tool for repackaging applications. I have used with Directx, Media Player + hotfix + bonuspack, MDAC27 and a few others, which I have included in my "Clean Install Boot CD".

The links to the updates are much appreciated. I could not find them

#35 Guest_Bryan Berns_*

Guest_Bryan Berns_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2002 - 07:28 PM

Hey everyone. I thought I might post this, might help out some people with related material.

http://berns.cae.wisc.edu/wincdman/

#36 Guest_CRasH180_*

Guest_CRasH180_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:49 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else having a problem getting to that web site --->
http://berns.cae.wisc.edu/wincdman/

??

#37 Guest_CRasH180_*

Guest_CRasH180_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:57 PM

The actual link for that site is:

http://berns.cae.wis...es/wincdman.asp

Just thought you all might want to know....

#38 Guest_Lync_*

Guest_Lync_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2002 - 09:29 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate a novell client install into a slipstream of Win 2000?

#39 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 11:34 AM

I don't think it is possible with w2k and the newer clinets. There were some documents earlier for w9x and earlier clients according to which it was possible.

You can however automate the installation of the NW client using acu.exe. Create you own configuration file and modify acu.ini. Install with setupnw /acu.

#40 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:04 AM

It's possible to make Novell Client automatic using CMDLINES.TXT. You could create your unattended script bu using NCIMAN.exe in the admin sub-folder of the extracted Novell Client directory. Here you can specify that the installation should not reboot.