- - - - -

Bootable Win2k Disk wont work

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zecko_*

Guest_Zecko_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2000 - 02:01 AM

I followed the directions to make a bootable W2K disk exactly. I ve used the newest version od CDRWIN. But when I try to boot I get an error message saying: Wrong emulation mode. It is also not possible to start the setup program within windows. I get an error that setup has cause errors an will be closed. Can this be caused because my Original W2K disk is OEM ? And is there a workaround?

thank you in advance

Zecko

#2 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 11 December 2000 - 05:14 AM

First, did you follow the instructions 100%? Several people said they did, but then when I walked them through they missed one small, but crucial step. First...in CDRWIN choose custom emulation. Second make sure the load sector count is 4. Those are the two biggies.

To be honest I haven't worked with a Win2k OEM cd so I'm not sure if that could cause the problem. Can you post the list of files that's in the root of your cd? Not the contents, just the names.

#3 Guest_Zecko_*

Guest_Zecko_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2000 - 12:29 PM

I have done that two times step by step and I am sure that I ve done everything right. the files in the root of the cd are as follows:

AUTORUN.inf
CDROM_IP.5
CDROM_NT.5
cdrom_sp.tst
READ1ST.TXT
README.DOC
SETUP.EXE

thanks again
Zecko

#4 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 01:51 PM

Those are the same files I have too. I'll go post instructions on extracting the boot.bin file yourself, in case that's what's giving you the problems. Let me know if it works and if it does, send the boot.bin file my way so I can post it for others to use.

#5 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 03:30 PM

Ok I updated the Win2k bootable CD article with instructions on how to extract the boot.bin file yourself. Let me know if it helps you out.

#6 Guest_Alyosha_*

Guest_Alyosha_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2000 - 05:28 PM

Hey, thank you guys for this discussion. I tried to make a boot win2k disk yesterday using your site's instructions and it didn't work. Today I noticed that in "Load Sector Count" by default is 1, which after a days work not to difficult to confuse with 4. I fixed that and it worked like magic. Thank you again. Extracting boot.bin is also fun, thank you.

Alyosha

#7 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 04:29 PM

You're the third guy now with that problem...heh. I'll go update the page to stress that part of it.

#8 Guest_Zecko_*

Guest_Zecko_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2000 - 08:31 PM

O.K. let me say thank you first.I burnt the CD with my own boot.bin file, but still no luck, somehow the burnt CD hangs in the boot-process (no error-message,cd is spinning and spinning but nothing happens). to be sure i tried my original W2K-CD and it works. The only thing i can imagine, is that the type of CD-Recordables I use are causing the problem. I baught them really cheap (50-pack, gigastorage 700MB) and I had some problems in the last week with Data-Backups too. I will buy some better ones in the next days an try again. I will post again as soon as I have done that.

thanks again
Zecko

#9 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 07:40 PM

Ok, if it hangs in boot-up, you probably left the "Load Sector Count" at its default of 1. Three people have already had problems, and each one was traced back to that. It MUST be at 4 to work. Try one more time, making sure that the last tab in the advanced section has the correct setting (you can re-read the article, I put that in bold so it's hard to miss now ). If you have changed that to 4...then I'm not sure what it could be. The CD itself works right? Just won't boot?

When you figure out what it was let me know. And I'd recommend doing any future testing on a CDRW disk, then when it works right you can burn to a CDR. If you do a lot of experimenting like I do, that can save a lot of CD's.

#10 Guest_Zecko_*

Guest_Zecko_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2000 - 04:20 PM

Dear Josetan,
problem solved, as I suspected it was the combination of my burner and the CDR's. I buyed some Verbatim-CDR's yesterday evening and with just one try the CD works fine. So i want to thank you and also appologize to you because the problem was clearly on my end!
Zecko

#11 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 13 December 2000 - 08:10 PM

Glad to hear it works. Now I can add one more thing to my list of troubleshooting questions

#12 Guest_bink_*

Guest_bink_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2000 - 09:51 AM

Hmmm.. I posted the somwhat the sam instructions a few months ago on my website.
If you're interested there are some extra tips on my website

http://www.bink.nu and click boot CD

Have fun!

Steven bink

#13 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 14 December 2000 - 05:30 PM

I posted my instructions about a week after SP1 came out. I don't provide files other than the boot.bin file, because you get into shady territory when you provide the actual files off of the CD.

You can make your URL clickable, just surround it with the [ url] and [ /url] tags (I put spaces there, so it won't try to make that text linkable).

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2000 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

As per your instructions, I had burns 3 set of CDR of Bootable Win2kPRO,. Last nite after viewing your forrum & acticles, I've downloaded the latest copy of CDRWIN and using the same setting as yours.

I might have make some mistake for the first 2 pcs, but for the 3rd one, I'm very, very sure, I open up your article just to double check I did the right way. I had also check 4 times
on the "Load Sector Count = 4" setting before I click on the "START" button.

The burn run fine with no errors.

So I rebooted the PC with that CDR in the CDROM.

I was watching anxiously when the moment the finishing the
BIOS ram count, and I think they found soemthing on the CDR, but then instead of booting the WIN2KPRO CDR, it's prompt me this message "Press any key to boot CD."
So, I give it a enter key but the PC reboot!

Something is worng somewhere, can you help me , pls?

But I burn the

I have this file in my CDR's root directory.

[I386]
[WIN2kSP1]
_table_.sys
Autorun.inf
Cdrom_IP.5
Cdrom_NT.5
Setup.exe

and some others apps which I have added into different directory and also not forgetting your win2kboot.bin

Is it true I can see some of my apps's directory in a long filename format under Win98?

One final question I wish to ask before I waste another CDR.

Does your win2k bootable CD article allows the CDR to be booted and run all the setup routine automatically just like the booting from the floppy?

Pls email me at [email protected]

Thanks for your tips, anyway, they are great!

Regards.

Victor

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2001 - 06:12 AM

hehe had the same problems before.. we called it the endless rebooting process hehe anyhow... we tried openning the CPU and checked the memory modules... we then knew that the modulse were a bit loose... so we transfered it to the other slot and tried booting again... then it worked

#16 Guest_Darkflame_*

Guest_Darkflame_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 02:13 PM

I had the exact same problem, the cd would hang on bootup forever untill I ejected it...I found out that you HAVE to use cd-rwin, I suffered the freeze when trying touse nero (cause I did not register cdrwin)....after I registered cdrwin and followed the file word for word, my first bootup was a success...also, another thing I noticed was I did not do build/burn so...I just selected (copy files on the fly) with disc at once, you need a faster processor to do this procedure but it shouldn't require that much more processing power and it worked flawlessly.

The files in the root dir does not matter as long as you have the required two files..the file list I have is the same as yours but also includes a .nfo file from the group who gave out free copies from the local microsoft seminar in hawaii..

#17 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2001 - 05:56 AM

Hi.

Just a small Question...

I have the KT7A-Raid MB, and I need the HTP370 drivers installed to be able to install on the raid.
Is there an easy description somewhere that describes how to add these drives to a win2k boot cd so that I don't need to sit there with a extra floppy?

thx.
isol

#18 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 01:45 PM

Easy? Don't think so. Believe you have to start an unattended script, I'll try to dig up some info later on that.

Yes it can be done though, not sure just how hard it'd be.

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2001 - 03:50 PM

Ok, thanks...

I'll just try to make the cd without them.

I guess I'll manage to slip one floppy in at the right time... :-)

isol

#20 Guest_MI-5_*

Guest_MI-5_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2001 - 09:02 AM

hey guys, it's amazing how many freaks out there have the same problems i have ...

i'm a freak!!! :) i think it's great that you all put your effort and time into writing instructions on all those things. i'm glad i can just go on the internet and find anything so i don't have to do any more research but just follow your instructions.

i have a question: how the heck did you know about cdrwin read sector 20 to 20 and boot option load sector count = 4?
lately, i've been reading a lot about el torrito and all those things but these methods never crossed my path ...
or is it just that one really needs to get deep into interrupt handling knowledge and so on?

:)

thanks again!!! great site - honestly, i think steven bink's page is ok, i found that one, first. but your site is just even a little more useful to me, personally, because i like to do EVERYTHING myself, including creation of the bootdisk.bin file, the method of which was not descrived on steven's page.

cheers.