54 replies to this topic

#21 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 17 February 2001 - 01:20 PM

Thanks! Well the original article didn't have instructions on extracting your own boot.bin file, but someone had a german version I believe it was, and the boot.bin file on the site wouldn't work for them. So I dug up the instructions to extract the boot.bin file yourself, and I added it in. Once I have time I'll put up instructions on how to make a bootable WinMe CD. Probably be the same way this was, first'll be the image file with instructions on how to use it (this one's easier btw) then instructions for making your own image file.

#22 Guest_MagnaPro_*

Guest_MagnaPro_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2001 - 01:46 PM

I have tried your directions for creating a making updated bootable cd with Windows 2k Advanced Server and win2k professional. No matter what I do, I get the error that it can not find ntldr. I have compared my original window 2kpro and my windows 2k advanced server in sector view and compared it to the copies I have made. It seems to me that the boot information is not residing at the same address as the original. When comparing sectors on orginal win2kpro verses my updated bootable I find that sectory 15 is the same on both cd's, but starting with sectory 16, I start seeing some differences. ntldr is in the same i386 directory on both disks, I did not change or move it.

Using wincd3.8d also tried nero 5. I am very sure that I followed your instructions to the letter.

byte at address 0057: is 13 on original and 14 on bootable.

on sector 18 the sector is almost blank on the original, but has alot of random data on bootable
on sector 19 original says microsoft corp etc. bootable's sector 19 looks like originals sector 18
on sectory 20 the original has much data, bootable's sector 20 (this is the one I though we copied) has Arnes boot record and is almost blank.

My understanding of hex and boot sectors is slim, but since we copied bin of sector 20 should they not be the same on both discs?

Also how does the "load segment 07C0 (hex)" relate to the header info in sector view of "00 02 20 01"? I would think these would both be refering to the same address location of sector 20, but I am losing the corralation

Magna

#23 Guest_tiMoThY tAN_*

Guest_tiMoThY tAN_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2001 - 06:59 AM

HeyZ i HaF WiNxp aNd i nEEd tO mAkE iT bOOtAbLe.
I hAvE tRiEd tO pUt tHe WiN 2k fiLes bUt tO nO aVaiL
tHey sUpPosEd tO b tHe sAmE...

CaN aNyOne HeLP?

#24 Guest_Rynold_*

Guest_Rynold_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2001 - 04:43 AM

Well all, I don't know how/why but i followed the howto steps 1 by 1 & making/running a bootable disk for WInXP Beta's works great!!!

#25 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 02:20 PM

I should probably note, that the boot.bin file is the same used on Windows NT 4 Workstation. Only thing that's different is the name of the CD (and that doesn't seem to matter).

#26 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2001 - 06:28 PM

I have had trouble getting CDRWIN to work correctly -- I keep getting an ASPI driver error. I quickly looked into the ASPI driver issue and it looks complex and unresolved. Any short, sweet and to the point explanations of this driver problem? Also, someone asked earlier about answer files -- there is a good database of articles in the Win2000 magazine archives one by Mark Minasi about adding drivers for NICs and Display drivers into an $OEM$ folder in the I386 directory. "Unattended Installs with Windows 2000 Professional", June 2000 will get you started on the answer file. I have my answer file working pretty well with the original Win2K CD, and have begun to consider using the $OEM$ folder with additional drivers. I am stuck creating the bootable CD which includes SP-1, have made almost every mistake iterated on this forum...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#27 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2001 - 06:42 PM

Some articles I've been using to try to accomplish this:

Unattended installs with Windows 2000 Professional, Mark Minasi May 10, 2000

Performing unattended setups with Answer files, Robert McIntosh May 22, 2000

Unattended install tricks, Minasi, Sept. 01, 1998

Advanced Unattended Installs, Minasi, August 01, 1998

There are more, and several that you must have a subscription to access. Maybe if I ever get this down to a smooth process I'll write it up and send it Josetann's way.....

#28 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2001 - 10:07 PM

all this time i thought i burnt a bad copy of win2k thats why it doesn't boot, but after experiencing some crashes cause of drivers prob with gfx card or somthing i went to my motherboard (aopen ax6bc) site to get a new bios update.
on one of the update it said the new bios would fix the win2k boot disk.

after flashing and booting with the win2k (which i though it was bad) the setup screen came up, no errors

maybe thats the problem many of you are experienceing

#29 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2001 - 10:17 PM

I don't get it. I'm using 3.8D but the option to "Record Directories/Files directly to an ISO9660 Disc (on the fly)" is not available. I do have "Backup files directly (on the fly) to an ISO9660 compatible disc." However, whatever I tried causes the :win2k partition to go on the CD instead of the partitions preceding the partition. Hence, no bootable and so far no option to be able to just get the correct partitions on the CD. I even tried creating a new partition with only the partitions that needed copied and then CDRWIN does nothing but give me a blank CD. I have spent three hours toooooooo long with this.

#30 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 08:08 AM

I burned my own bootable W_2K C.D. and it boots up perfectly. My problem lies in the fact that I slipstreamed SP2 with it and when I try to install W_2K it asks me for a SP2 disk. Any way to fix that error? And I tried that little trick on here about replacing the 3 x's with 270 to bypass the serial check. The problem is that it tells me my copy of W_2K is a 180 day evaluation version. Is that normal or does that mean that 270 doesn't work? And if it doesn't, what does?

brew me a cup. we're here for the long haul
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#31 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2001 - 01:26 PM

Yahoo. I now have a bootable Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with SP2 and the latest 815 infs working. I had to 'downgrade' to CDRWIN 3.8b to make it work. Still like to know how to get it to work in 3.8d or maybe I should beta test the 4.0 version.

#32 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2001 - 10:33 PM

I did it, I did it. Follow exactly and it can be done!

#33 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2001 - 11:01 AM

Has anyone got a solution to this:::::::

CDBOOT: Could'nt find NTLDR

Thanks

#34 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 11:17 AM

Try using CDRWIN 3.8b instead of 3.8d.

#35 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2001 - 11:18 AM

I found this on Neowin.net and the config has the checkbox is checked for Preserve Full Pathnames ;}

Just in case anyone else asks..

#36 Guest_Ice_*

Guest_Ice_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2001 - 01:55 PM

I have the same error,
CDBOOT NTLDR is missing

I know I done absoltely all right, every part. I have screwed 7 CDs on this.

#37 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 04:12 PM

First off, PLEASE use CDRW disks! It may take several times until you get it to work right (whether it's user-error, or the software doesn't work, or something else). Second, try CDRWIN 3.8b instead of the newer 3.8d. There's been problems getting 3.8d to make a win2k bootable CD, but 3.8b more or less works just fine.

I did note in the how-to that you may be able to use EasyCD or Nero now, since they allow you to make a bootable cd without emulation. I haven't tried it personally and haven't heard of anyone trying it and succeeding...so if you try that and it fails, just use CDRWIN (at least to make the first iso, then you can use whatever program you want to burn that iso).

#38 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 04:47 PM

Just did it CDRWIN 4.0 and you need to copy the NTLDR
file over and it works fine...

Gary

#39 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 08:50 PM

I have a question. You say you have to copy NTLDR over. Copy it over to where? It's already on the CD.

Not trying to sound rude, because I am honestly curious. If you're copying it somewhere else, like the root directory, and it works; that could help some of these people out.

#40 Guest_youngturk_*

Guest_youngturk_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2001 - 09:46 PM

Hi Josetann:

I am currently running Windows NT on my HP Burner with Easy CD Creator. Do I just install CDRWIN alongside my version of Easy CD Creator and it will work fine? Or do I have to remove my version of Easy CD Creator (I hope not)? I also noticed that the download version of CDRWIN is a 30 day trial, will this do to complete the bootable process? Is this the version everybody else is using?

Also, the version of win2k that I'm using is from the MSDN, and the CD is not bootable. I'm not sure if there is a boot.bin file on this CD (will check). I usually have to CD to the correct path whenever I do an install (which is boring). This process will surely help me out a lot. The information on your page is amazing. I am definitely planning on trying the slipstreaming and bootable CD as soon as I receive a response from you.

For slipstreaming, can I do all this copying/extrating on my NT machine that has the burner, or do I have to do this on a machine running win2k pro and then copy the files over to the burner machine.

Regards
youngturk