- - - - -

locking up in winme bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2000 - 08:12 PM

I'm having an intermittent problem booting up with WinMe. As the desktop starts the system stops and all I have is a mouse pointer (active) and the desktop background color displayed. If I reboot sometimes it works sometimes not, can take 2-3 reboots to get the system up. I've checked bootlog and the problem seems to be occuring when the system tries to enumerate "tapedetectiontapecontroller|0000". No tape drive on the system.

Any ideas?

#2 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 13 December 2000 - 08:05 PM

This is probably unrelated, but I thought I'd try since no one else here seems to have problems with WinMe

I would have problems sometimes with WinMe booting, or just the whole PC itself. Turns out it was the USB mouse I had (Intellimouse Explorer). For some reason, it just gave WinMe fits, and whenever my PC restarted it'd sometimes work, sometimes wouldn't. Putting it on the PS/2 port fixed everything.

Other things to check, do you have all the recent drivers installed? You can still boot in safe-mode and install new drivers. Pay particular attention to the via 4-in-1 drivers (if you have a via chipset) and the video card drivers. Also note anything that has an exlamation next to it in device manager.

Lastly, was this a clean install or an upgrade? Upgrades can always be finicky, if you can't get it to work right, try backing up everything, then doing a fresh install.

#3 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2001 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the help. Found out that the problem was caused by the tape drive controller, possibly a corrupt .vxd file. Since I don't have a tape drive (and have no intention of getting one of those dinosaurs) I deleted the offending .vxds and all registry references. That ended the problem and as a bonus it shaved a good 20 seconds off my windows startup time.

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2001 - 03:39 AM

Thanks...I had the same problem with the stalling of ME....was trying to figure it out. It really was bugging me and I couldnt track down the problem. Funny that all it was is the stinkin USB mouse.....