- - - - -

Reinstall XP on new HD

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2002 - 09:57 AM

I need up change out my hard drive for a larger one. Since I have already installed and activated XP on the current drive, how will I be able to install XP on my new drive since XP has the one user security feature built into the installation?

Thanks for your comments

#2 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 05:49 PM

You can ,but you will have to activate again by phone and explain ms what you have done ,because the activation checks the volume serial number (vsn) of your harddisk , and if theis number changes (new hardisk , format ,ntfs conversion ) you have to reactivate by phone .

#3 Guest_forum_editor_*

Guest_forum_editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2002 - 05:02 AM

the best thing you can do is contact m$ and let them know your situation..before you come to that bridge....and if they agree you can activate it again, do a clean install on that hardrive..thats what i would do

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2002 - 05:19 PM

Excuse my rant... but...If it were me, rather than ask Microsofts PERMISSION to use the software you paid for, since it is a legit copy, I would find a crack for it. This activation crap is the reason why I doubt I will ever buy another MS operating system again or any other software requiring "activation". If I do, I will buy a copy legitimately and get a crack for it just out of spite. If it were not for the activation I would have already bought WinXP rather than having recently bought Win2000, and yes, I only have it installed on one computer. I was never anti Microsoft before they forced activation on honest users.

#5 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:47 AM

I don't think it will ask you to activate. I've ghosted xp images to different hard drives on my computer and haven't had to activate.
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#6 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 12:41 AM

That's because the volume id of the haddisk stays the same as the previous harddisk .It must me included in the ghost image .If it's on the same computer , there's no harware changes neither ,if it's on the same computer . I allways keep an updated ghost image of all the harddisks with an operating system , and never got a problem .

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2002 - 03:16 PM

Everytime I have fotmatted my drive, I have had to re-activate winxp and I did not change a thing.....WHY ?...when you pay a fortune for an original copy..I am trying to find a crack now....I am thinking of putting win98 back on if I cant find one, cos its been nothing but trouble since I bought it....should have took the advice of my IT dept..

#8 Guest_RNR_*

Guest_RNR_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2002 - 03:33 PM

RDC.......The serial of a HDD is not kept on the disk ....it is kept on ROM.....(a small ROM on the electronic board of the HDD) So there are no way that Norton Ghost copy it on an other HDD.....!!!

If the activation was not needed it is because it is only requiere when u install XP.....once it as been install and activated....if u ghost it and restore on a different HDD u won't need to re-activating it......!!! (as it is not an installation......;D
It also depend on the version of XP.....some don't need any activation .........;)

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2002 - 07:41 AM

Beg to differ but Norton Ghost does copy the volume serial number from the original ghost image to all pc's that it is installed on. I know because our companys software uses the volume serial number and I have to change the number on all the reinstalled ghost images because they all have the same volume serial number of the original machine. There are many third party software programs that can change the Volume ID. This goes for all MS op systems.

#10 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:37 AM

That's what I assume too .
The volume serial number only changes when you format the disk or change it from fat 32 to ntfs ,
If you put a ghost image to another disk than the one the image is from ,the other disk will take the same VSN as the original one .The vsn is the date time the disk is formatted , so it hasn't any real importance even to change it on a personal pc , but when you change it you will have to reactivate you xp , and have to explain why it changed for reactivation .

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:49 PM

What software can I use the change the volume serial number?

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:47 AM

Symantic ghost and Clode your original Drive to the new one

#13 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2002 - 09:32 PM

I tried to change out the hd on my XP system using Norton Ghost but to no avail. I installed a second hd; ghosted the partition on the first drive to the second drive. Removed the first drive and made the new drive the primary. The system starts and then hangs on the logon screen just before it gives you the list of users. I can access the drive from another computer on the network running Windows 98 so I know it's booted up. But I cannot get logged on to this system. If I leave BOTH hd in the system, even though the original boot drive is now a slave drive, the sytem will boot. Take the original boot drive out, and I can't log on.

Any suggestions?

I, too, question the wisdom of upgrading to XP!

#14 Guest_Glock22_*

Guest_Glock22_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 02:48 PM

I know some will swear by Norton Ghost, but frankly I prefer Powerquest Drive Image. Latest version is 2002 and works with XP. Make an image of your original HD and store it on a different partition. Or use the drive to drive copy feature and swap drives after you image , reboot. very simple and works every time for me.

Drive Image has saved my butt a few times and is a great tool to have.

#15 Guest_quietkey_*

Guest_quietkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2002 - 03:31 PM

I've used both PowerQuest and Ghost...both are very useful tools (after installing as many OSes as I have to do at work, I was very eager to start imaging drives), but in my experience, I prefer Ghost because it runs a lot faster, as well as offering the option to burn an image to cd/s or to load directly to and from the network. Now, I haven't used the PQ 2k2, so it might work faster now, but as far as I know, it's a straight up disk image/copy alone.

As far as the volume key using ghost, it does take on the setting from the original image. I was even at one time able to activate 24 instances of Office 2k on the website using a single verification key. Yes, we do have legal licenses, but this was before we got our volume product keys.

#16 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:51 AM

I changed to a bigger harddisk yesterday and I put a ghost image from the former harddisk and yes I got to activate again by phone (same vsn , same wpa file ???) Got something to do with the registration number . Now I got my reactivation and still the same registration number .

#17 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:01 PM

O.k. There are 2 Serial numbers on a hard drive.

1 A Volume Serial number. (Can be changed, Use a program called WinHex are check out sector 0 )

2 A Hard drive serial number stored on EEPROM (Can't be changed)

Pliers..

#18 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:25 PM

So you think the harddrive serial number is taken into account too for the activation key . I didn't know about this one , Thanks for letting me know .
I know they take the vsn into account too .
Not that it is a real problem to reactivate now that I 've done it , but there should be a more simple way to reactivate .

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2002 - 09:02 AM

Well the best thing to do would either be find a crack OR find a copy that doesn't require activation. For example, I work for a University and because of our Microsoft agreement, we have unlimited access (almost unlimited) to many Microsoft products and they don't have to be activated. Hence the reason alot of us are moving to XP. Shoot me an email if you have any other questions.
[email protected]

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2002 - 08:29 PM

> 1 A Volume Serial number. ...

This is a number assigned by the OS to uniquely indentify "volumes" (generally formatted partitions).

> (Can be changed, Use a program called WinHex are check out sector 0 )

It's much easier to use volid.exe from www.sysinternals.com. And it's free (unlike WinHex) and works well.

> 2 A Hard drive serial number stored on EEPROM (Can't be changed)

Not all drives have a serial number. I know some SCSI drives do not support the SCSI command or return the same number for all drives (SCSI Unit Serial Number?). Also I believe the serial number of some IDE drives can be changed through software.

Anyway my question is:

Does Ghost or any other disk cloning software support creating a new volume serial number on restore? It seems like this option should be provided (or even the default) as nasty things can happen if you have 2 drives with the same serial number.