45 replies to this topic

#21 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 01:34 AM

Norton Ghost Image has the VSN from the drive it's taken from .
As you said can eventually be changed with Volumeid.exe .
You don't even need to partition or format the new drive before putting the image on it ,that's what I appreciate from Norton Ghost

#22 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 12:59 AM

Hi there,

If u get any information on what software to use to change volume serial number, please pass it on to me. I also need to change the serial no of my hard disk.

u can mail me the information on [email protected]

regards.
-Sourabh

#23 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:39 AM

Hi there,

I tried to ghost xp onto another m/c, but after ghosting and restart the new m/c. It appears a screen to choose start safe mode, ..... or start windows normally. If i choose the last choice, the m/c just stops and hang. If i choose safe mode, will also hang after loading some files. Anyone knows the reason and solution ?

Thanks NewComer

#24 rdc

rdc

enthusiast

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:47 AM

If you write a ghost image to another computer there is allways a problem with the hardware differences on the other computer .A ghost image is meant to replace a problematic operating system on the computer it's taken from .
This way you don't loose time to go looking for hours for a solution to your problem .
If you want to put your operating system on another computer ,better make a bootable cdrom with the latest service pack included .

#25 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2002 - 10:19 AM

I've cloned 15 same computers wit Win XP by ghost without any problems. But before I tried to do that with dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb and it doesn't worked, why? Now I have to change the OS from NT 4.0 to Win XP in other 30 PCs with diferent HW configuration. I can do that with Win2000 and of course NT 4.0 again without any problems, but XP I can't. Is here anybody who are solving or solved the same problem?

#26 Guest_IRL337_*

Guest_IRL337_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:48 PM

Hey man id suggest goin to symantec's site and checkin for any sorta .pdf manual for Ghost...

#27 Guest_Buschy_*

Guest_Buschy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:23 PM

Everything with Windows Xp has to do with Hardware configuration. If you Try and Ghost and image of Xp onto a different machine, it will not work properly because the hardware config is different. There is a way to do it! the Program is on your Xp cdrom in the tools folder. In one of the compressed files is a program called sysprep.exe . This is the program that will let you unbind your current hardware configuration. Allowing you to Chost your Xp operationg system onto another machine, without the hardware conflict. What you do after running this program I do not know! Sorry!

#28 Guest_WeNeedHelp888_*

Guest_WeNeedHelp888_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:50 PM

I've accidentally ghost (with Norton Ghost) an existing harddisk and the data in D: drive has been overriden with this blank one.

Anyone knows how to reverse the effect? i need to get back my data!!

I've tried some data recovery software but failed.

Anyone knows any data recovery support help line no. that i can called? I am located in the South East Asia region.

Thanks.

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2003 - 03:43 PM

I have just ordered a MS Office XP Developer. While waiting for the package to arrive, I find out insidently that there is something called "activation". This seems to be quite a mess. Running Windows 2000 professionel, I see now that I,m lucky. However the Office XP developer also have this "activation" problem.

Doing some desk reaseach on the net, my conclusion so far is that I,m not going to do any ghost copying, neither any activating having problems every time I make changes to my PC HW - but rather use a crack to solve my problem. Sorry to say that Bill - but when I have purchased an Office XP developer package, and add all the money I have but in the past in different MS SW, why shall I accept this chicanery ?

The "think tank" at MS is not very bright, turning satisfied paying MS users into unsatisfied and angry hazards. :angry:

And - this policy will only result in that users will stick to the Windows 2000 for as many years as possible -> that they dont run the latest time saving features -> halting the technology back - and - less profit for MS since users simply dont by new versions of Windows.

#30 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2003 - 02:28 PM

Everything with Windows Xp has to do with Hardware configuration. If you Try and Ghost and image of Xp onto a different machine, it will not work properly because the hardware config is different. There is a way to do it! the Program is on your Xp cdrom in the tools folder. In one of the compressed files is a program called sysprep.exe . This is the program that will let you unbind your current hardware configuration. Allowing you to Chost your Xp operationg system onto another machine, without the hardware conflict. What you do after running this program I do not know! Sorry!

Just purchased an Office XP package. Which also have the need of activation.

If you find a corporate serial key number on the web, this key will automaticaly deactivate the activation process. If you use this corporate serial key Offfice XP will never ask you for activation. I suppose this is the same for Windows XP.

Reading through the license text, there is nothing as far as I can see that tells that you can not use a nother key than the one written on your package. So if you have purchased an XP package then you can legaly use a nother key to "activate" your XP software ????

Anyone have comments to this issue ?

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2003 - 03:29 PM

Bottom line with the activation is that any XP level product or greater will have activation. Corperate level and above users do not have activation on the software, because the licensing of these users is handled through a bulk license agreement and not tied to a single copy. This goes for Office XP and above too. So even if you have a "Corporate" license key it won't do you a bit of good if you don't have the "Corporate" version of the software. The only way to get this is through microsoft's worldwide fulfilment by giving them a valid bulk license agreement number.

#32 Guest_Paul F_*

Guest_Paul F_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:46 PM

I tried to change out the hd on my XP system using Norton Ghost but to no avail. I installed a second hd; ghosted the partition on the first drive to the second drive. Removed the first drive and made the new drive the primary. The system starts and then hangs on the logon screen just before it gives you the list of users. I can access the drive from another computer on the network running Windows 98 so I know it's booted up. But I cannot get logged on to this system. If I leave BOTH hd in the system, even though the original boot drive is now a slave drive, the sytem will boot. Take the original boot drive out, and I can't log on.

I have an XP system and installed a second hard disk to use for backup. My main disk (Disk 1) has 2 partitions -- C: has my programs and XP, D: holds my data.
I used Norton Ghost 2003 to clone Disk 1 to Disk 2. This gave me an F: and G: partition on Disk 2.

I was able to unplug Disk 1 and make Disk 2 the master and boot up XP.

My backup plan was to clone the data partition (D: to G:) every night before I shut down, and clone the program partition (C: to F:) every 7th night I shutdown.

After cloning the data partition, I found I could still unplug Disk 1, make Disk 2 master, and boot XP. On the 7th night after cloning the program partition, the unplug Disk 1 and make Disk 2 master test failed to boot XP. It came up to the point as previously reported -- the Windows screen is there but it does not present the possibility of logging on. I repeated the above testing and results were the same -- if I cloned only the program partition, I could not use it to lboot up.

I have decided to change my backup procedure so that on the 7th night, I clone Disk 1 to Disk 2 rather than cloning just the program partition.

Paul F

#33 Guest_taj_*

Guest_taj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

:blink:
"Do a full backup of you XP machine. save the file on the hard drive or a dvdr/w. Do an install of xp on the new hd. Now use the backup file to restore your xp machine" This is the on thing microsoft will tell you!

#34 Guest_Ratti3_*

Guest_Ratti3_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:44 PM

Beg to differ but Norton Ghost does copy the volume serial number from the original ghost image to all pc's that it is installed on. I know because our companys software uses the volume serial number and I have to change the number on all the reinstalled ghost images because they all have the same volume serial number of the original machine. There are many third party software programs that can change the Volume ID. This goes for all MS op systems.

try running ghost with the -FDSP switch to resolve the logon screen hanging problem.
Its caused by drive letters being reasigned by ghost FDSP copies it (make sure you disconnect the old drive after cloning)

http://service1.syma...iver=symghost_8

http://www.jokegateway.co.uk

#35 Guest_MuOhioStudent_*

Guest_MuOhioStudent_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:40 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to change out the hd on my XP system using Norton Ghost but to no avail. I installed a second hd; ghosted the partition on the first drive to the second drive. Removed the first drive and made the new drive the primary. The system starts and then hangs on the logon screen just before it gives you the list of users. I can access the drive from another computer on the network running Windows 98 so I know it's booted up. But I cannot get logged on to this system. If I leave BOTH hd in the system, even though the original boot drive is now a slave drive, the sytem will boot. Take the original boot drive out, and I can't log on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This same thing happend to except i was a moron... I formated my original. It wouldn't let me format through windows because it said the drive was in use so i did it through partition magic. Now when i start my cpu it automatically attempts to run windows and hangs right before the log in screen. I don't even get the screen that lets me choice whether or not i want to boot into Linux or one of my two windows operating systems. I don't know what to do. I tried throwing in an Xp pro disk and repairing it with that as others have done successfully. When I put the cd in and hit install it saw that i had my xp home edition but it didn't give me a choice to repair it as it usually does. It is possible that its because I have Xp home and not Xp pro. I will test my Xp home disk as soon as i can find it. If that doesn't work though, i have no idea what i am going to do. When i get to the safe mode screen there is a choice that i can restore my computer to recent settings that previously worked. But i don't know what will happen if i do that. I am hoping I will be able to just do a simple repair and have it all fixed. Does anyone have any other solutions to this or know whether or not the xp home addition cd repair will work or not?
Any help would be EXTREMELY Appreciated
Thanx in Advance.

#36 Guest_DaPaul_*

Guest_DaPaul_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

For many users Ghost gives problem. Here is what I did.

Primary Master: C and D (WinXP with service pack 2)
Primary Slave : E and F

I used XXClone(30 day free trial). It is a windows based program. I simply chose C as source and E as Target. After 10 minutes the cloning is over and is bootable without doing any additional steps. After cloning whether I remove my first HDD or second HDD and keep them both, I can't even notice the difference!!! That is called cloning. No activation - no hanging. Use it to believe it (even I thought the best way is DOS based program). The XXClone

I hope this info helps.

#37 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:22 AM

" > 2 A Hard drive serial number stored on EEPROM (Can't be changed)

Not all drives have a serial number. I know some SCSI drives do not support the SCSI command or return the same number for all drives (SCSI Unit Serial Number?). Also I believe the serial number of some IDE drives can be changed through software. "

I need for a Test a Type of SCSI drive with "SCSI Unit Serial Number". Can a user help me ?

Thanks.

#38 Guest_Guest_Rick_*_*

Guest_Guest_Rick_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

Hi,

I encountered the problem using Ghost to copy a patition to another disk (partition).

The solution is to create a ghost image file somewhere (to a CD/DVD or through the LAN using Bart-PE for exemple, then, replace the disk and restore that image to the new one.

Then, the first time you will reboot, Windows will detect the hard drive and ask you to restart the computer.

I've been doing this for a while and never had any problems nor had to register XP again.

Voilą

#39 Guest_DP_*

Guest_DP_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:11 AM

Hi ,

It was really interesting to see some of the ponts.

A contribution from my side.
Visit the following urls , they may be good reading.
Volume licensing keys, solved my problem.

http://service1.syma...001052308534125

http://www.microsoft...activation.mspx

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;299840

Cheers,
DP