- - - - -

Reinstall XP on new HD

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:53 AM

This is a website where you get free money for just searching the net. They have forums with PROOF that it works. There are pictures of the transactions and EVERYTHING! It really does work!

http://netbux.org/?r=264355

#42 intraaction

intraaction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

just format one and add to another drive

wanna see it

#43 Guest_TheMan_*

Guest_TheMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

If you want to make a system see a hard drive as the "C" drive since it was ghosted and it wil not since it was a different drive when the original C drive was in your PC use:

fdisk /mbr with a Windows 98 or later boot disk

It will let the hard drive know it is not the other non C drive letter and will put the primary drive letter with an active boot partition back to C:

The reason you probably had this problem in the first place is because you put the new hard drive with the old one (to transfer data), ghosted it, and when you put the new one by itself, Windows still saw it as the other non C drive. The above solution will fix the problem.

The reason you have to run it is because old C drive and Windows saw the new hard drive.

-TheMan

#44 Guest_skepĚtic also scepĚtic_*

Guest_skepĚtic also scepĚtic_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

n.
1. One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

The reason you have to run it is because old C drive and Windows saw the new hard drive.

You mean that the computer sees? what it uses? a built in lens?

#45 Guest_Guru_*

Guest_Guru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

I hit the same problem in my house. I had installed Win XP pro in my old hdd. Later on bought a new hdd, added it as a slave, then assigned the letters.

Used the disk imaging software which copied the boot partition to the new hdd.

I unplugged the old hdd and tried to start, windows seem to boot, but the logon screen does not appear.

After going thru all the posts and some microsoft support contents, i realised that is because of the drive letter assignments. The volume guid of the new hdd was already in the existing installation. So when i started xp in the new hdd, it must have assumed it to be the D drive instead of C because of the presence of the volume guid.

The solution is given here.

http://support.micro....com/kb/249321/

I havent tried it yet, but will try it out today evening. I will boot using win98, use fdisk/mbr. Hope it works.

#46 Guest_Guru_*

Guest_Guru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

Forgot one more thing.. before you use fdisk /mbr make sure u guys disconnect your old hard disk.... coz fdisk /mbr will only change the volume guid of the active partition.... or the boot partition.