Issue with Hard Drive
Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:48 AM
Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:51 AM
It takes awhile
But first, can you ensure that the CD Rom is attached
Enter the bios and set it to first boot device
Put your XP cd into the drive
Save the changes and allow the computer to start up
If it doesn't detect the CD at first start, try restarting again and see if it detects the CD
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:01 AM
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:09 AM
What make and model of computer is this?
Have you recently installed new hardware, such as the memory or harddrive?
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:11 AM
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:26 AM
Processor: Intel Pentium D 840 3.2gGHz DT 800FSB Socket 775
RAM: 1gb DDR2 PC3200
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 5500
Hard Drive: 160gb SATA
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:28 AM
You can try and clear the CMOS, look at the manual for motherboard for direction
You can try and run Memtest86 and see if the ram is at fault
Here's a checklist from Hal9000 from another forum
1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can acually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
5) Install the video card
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
8) Connect power to the power supply
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:30 AM
His mobo didn't come with a manual...
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:40 AM
Leave it out for 15 minutes
Then replace it
Enter the bios>>is the Harddrive detected?
Does this motherboard have onboard video?
Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:42 AM
Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:46 AM
Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:04 PM