- - - - -

"Real" windows boot CD

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2002 - 02:28 PM

I created a boot CD for Ghost, since my normal Floppy A: drive has failed (another topic soon to appear on this site). I have also used a Win98 rescue disk, in both cases burning an image using the Bootable CD option in EZCD, creating the boot image from the disk in my USB floppy drive (no, USB floppy boot is not a BIOS feature on my old motherboard). Both the Ghost CD DOS and the Win98DOS boot to a DOS prompt A:, which is indeed the location of the CD's files.

#22 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 09:23 AM

There is a really safe method to doing this. You can even have a somewhat working windows directly from a CD. If you can somehow get your hand on Winternals' ERD Commander 2002 then you can create any bootable CD with windows working on it. Granted that you can't the entire OS working on there so there are some options that are taken out but it would work. The URL is
http://www.winternal...mmander2002.asp

#23 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2002 - 07:12 PM

Just curious, has anyone been able to make a boot cd that loads just the bootloader from NT or Win2K. This is something I have been trying to do but haven't had much luck. I think this would be good because you can load a win32 shell and automatically start a windows program with shell= or run= in the ini files. I think this is what erd commander uses. Has anyone done anything like this?

#24 Guest_Mr.Bill_*

Guest_Mr.Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 06:20 AM

I used the instructions on the site that was linked earlier, and got all the way to the final burn of Win98. I ran into an issue with windows trying to use the same ram that my virtual drive was on, therefore corrupting it. It may have just been the RAMDISK software I was using, but I tried a few... to the same result.

Does anyone know of any way to tell windows to avoid the 200MB I set up for a RAMDISK?

#25 Guest_DPC_*

Guest_DPC_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 10:08 AM

Your problem could be the amount of RAM in ur comp. try and remove enought o get u around the 786 meg mark, or less, windows has a problem with ram over that amount.

#26 Guest_Sorin_*

Guest_Sorin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2002 - 02:45 PM

Sorry if I am out of line, but the REALLY usefull thing would be an ISO image containing a windows 98 boot CD, if anyone has it.
I have a particular problem with DVin Lite, a software that will not run on WinXP, so I need a way to boot my computer to a Win98 environement without having to reinstall.
I read the instructions at http://www.heise.de/...lish/99/11/206/ but don't think I am able to get it done and it means I have to uninstall WinXP anyway to do it.

#27 Guest_Clue_*

Guest_Clue_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2002 - 05:10 PM

If you want real running windows from CD you will need a special version of windows:
Windows NT4 embedded
Or
Windows XP embedded

These two versions of windows (no win2K version) are a specially designed for running from read only devices such as CDROM.

There’s also a workaround for running Windows 95 and even 98 which the big companies such as IBM, DELL and HP used to make a rescue/install system.

I am not sure but you can use a special version of 'windows XP for tablet pc' that can run on Intel CPU (this OS designed to run from tablet/handheld pc)

#28 Guest_Clue_*

Guest_Clue_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2002 - 05:12 PM

the link for the win 95 or 98 running from cd:

http://www.heise.de/...lish/99/11/206/

#29 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2002 - 12:27 PM

Done it. I have a working copy. As i suspected there is a major error in the instructions. Even if you get it working you cannot create any new items, be it files or directories, but you can still have a mean game of minesweeper! (BIG DEAL)

#30 Fjellu

Fjellu

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:01 AM

Would you care to share what the major error in the instructions are and how to avoid them

#31 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2002 - 01:00 AM

Oh well I managed to get my hands on ERD Commander Pro 2002. hehe. It works perfectly with XP and 2000. Just used it to fix an XP volume on a laptop for a business client.

#32 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2002 - 01:14 AM

I just made a win 95B cd. Just follow these instructions..http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/ It worked good the first try, just don't install Norton AV. Will give a reg. error on startup and it won't function when booted from the cd.

#33 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2002 - 01:25 AM

yes to all, just did it. I am on a lan so i don't know about using dun, but it should work

#34 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2002 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone know how to stop windoze 95 b. from looking for new devices on startup? I made a "real" windoze boot cd and it works great...on the box I made it on! But that's the problem. I would like it to work on other boxes also. I didn't load any hardware specific drivers when i did it in hopes that it would be "universal"...but when I boot it in other machines, it hangs after on boot due to finding new devices. I cancel on the installation of them, it makes it through most of them, but seems to hang on about the last one or so. such as my network card on on machine. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks for reading this even if you can't help be. I was thinking there should be a way to disable the plug and play. thanks Brad

#35 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:25 PM

Used this method (bootable Win98 CD) at my work to register (calibrate) a Xerox scanner after upgrading to Win2000. Did a separate bootable CD for two different platforms, works perfectly.

Some hints:
This method only works on a single hardware platform. Since it boots from CD, plug n play does not play nice here.

There is no way to disable plug n play in Win98.

If you have a single hardware platform, but the PCI cards could be in different spots, move the card(s) to the other PCI slots and let Windows detect the hardware change before finalizing your CD. For example, a SCSI card that could be in PCI slot 2 OR PCI slot 3.

Take your time and read the steps carefully. It's best to tackle this project when you can devote your full attention to it.

#36 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2002 - 02:50 AM

It would be great if one of you more successful ones can make a clear and concise How-To for this, as the german to english translation can be somewhat confusing.

BTW, I did some checking on the ERD Commander as well as the XP Embedded as others have recomended, and I don't think that these are what most of us have in mind when trying to make windows run directly from cd. Just my opinion though.

Cheers!

#37 Guest_RedHatLinux_*

Guest_RedHatLinux_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2002 - 05:42 PM

try live Linux CDs. their free, pre-made and work grate, try Virtual Linux or Cool Linux. look for them on www.freshmeat.net

#38 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2002 - 10:14 PM

I'm a linux user myself (lycoris which, imho, is the most user friendly distro out), but i would still like to have access to some windows apps which have no equal equivelant in linux (WINE is commendable, but it is still far from being the answer), and i would like this access without having to dual boot my comp. Having a windows "live cd" actually seems to be the answer. Now, if only i could find clear enough instructions on how to go about this.....

#39 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 12:38 AM

Personally I use Win4Lin for that function, it works pretty good for me. Better than wine (since you're running full windows inside linux) and faster than vmware.

#40 Guest_austi_*

Guest_austi_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 08:40 AM

use norton ghost 2003 supports usb and firewire and your problems are solved