Overclocking multicore processors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tyciol

Tyciol

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

For anyone familiar with it, are there any special concerns compared to overclocking single cores? In my case, not just duo-core, but Intel's new Quadri-core. I understand the reason for switching to multicore processors is that you can only squeeze out so many Ghz from a single processor before the heat begins to rise.

Apparently with the highly overclocked processors, they are even cooled with liquid nitrogen or something?

I did not buy the 'Xtreme' processor from Intel, for one the store I got it from just didn't have it. But I was curious, would it even be worthwhile to buy overclocked processors? Because couldn't you buy the cheaper version and manually overclock it yourself simply by changing the software settings? Would it even require messing with the hardware? Because I remember with my last comp (single core) a friend told me how to turn up the clocking rate just by changing some properties.

Maybe the new processors have safeguards in place, I dunno.

My computer is damn hot, I can't figure if it is the monitor, the tower, or the giant battery I bought. The battery usually feels the hottest. It's the Back-UPS XS 900 from APC. I thought it was the best one (I think I paid over a hundred bucks, just for an 8-plug power splitter with an hour or so of juice, [censored]) but then when I checked the manual that came with it it was advertising some kind of XS1200 with 2 hours or whatever. Still, I probably don't even need this. The main reason for a battery is for those brief surges that reset everything in your house. Or, if the power is out for a short period of time. Or, if it's not, you'll have time to save important things, like schoolwork. It's sort of like the guarantee people who use laptops plugged in have.

#2 JB Lee

JB Lee

Obviously a Bot

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Apparently with the highly overclocked processors, they are even cooled with liquid nitrogen or something?

SLI

#3 Joshyboy

Joshyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

Yes I read a magazine article where it said that Overclcoked processors are cooled with liquid nitrogen.
Contact me: [email protected]

#4 Sven Da Man

Sven Da Man

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

they are cooled with glycol most of the time since it's easier to cool back down fast enough

#5 Sven Da Man

Sven Da Man

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

here's a link(if it's allowed) http://www.muizenshop.nl/zoek/1974/

#6 Sven Da Man

Sven Da Man

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

the best thing is not to overclock really, your clockspeed doesn't really matter anymore, your cpu intelligence does

#7 JB Lee

JB Lee

Obviously a Bot

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

This topic is nearly 2 months old, im pretty sure this guy has either found his information somewhere else, or chosen not to overclock...

also, please try not to triple post...or even double post...

#8 mtptl77

mtptl77

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

I really want to see people overclock the FSB of the Pentium D. I was talking to my friend about HT about a year or two ago when the 2.4C was an extremely popular and he was proud of his fathers Shuttle SFF. He was saying that the reason why HT decreases performance while video editing is because there is so much data being sent through the front side bus that HT will actually bottleneck that. So, based on that, I would like to see people overclock the front side bus of the Pentium D really high. In theory, performance would increase tremendously because right now, it looks lie the FSB is being shared by two cores. So in theory, each core can get say 3.2 GB/sec which is that of the original Pentium 4. When they increased the FSB, performance dramatically increased. This just shows that with multi cores, the world needs faster FSBs and faster ram and integrated memory controller. If Intel had used the integrated memory controller, its DDR2 performance should be a bit better. They would also be able to give each core more bandwith and you would most likely see much greater performance.
-----------------------

Cheap SEO

#9 mtptl77

mtptl77

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:16 AM

Overclocking the multicore processors is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was specified by the manufacturer, usually practiced by enthusiasts seeking an increase in the performance of their computers.
Overclocked may refer to: *The past participle of the verb to overclock. *OverClocked ReMix, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and paying tribute to video game music. *, collection of short stories by Cory Doctorow. *, a video game.
overclocker - A person who overclocks a computer.
overclock - To run a processor (CPU), or any electronic logic device, at a speed higher than is recommended by the manufacturer.
This is the term for running a CPU, video card, or other component faster than its rated speed. See my Advanced Topics for more information on this.

Hotel Italy|Apartments Italy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users