- - - - -

Xp MultiBoot CD -Twinkie I need your help!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NewGuy_*

Guest_NewGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2002 - 06:21 PM

Twinkie 1st off if no one knows his page use it for all the questions on this post they will do you wonders. BEST MULTIBOOT WEB PAGE

Now that i have that out - i have a spicific question that utalizes your technology (twinkie) and barts loader (also great)

here is a quick background of my project

I have a multiboot with
W2k all flavor from MSDN (vol liicence)
A bunch of tools
WXPPRO (trying to add it)

so i have everythign working and have been working with this cd multiboot for like a year now. so i feel very confident with the loaders etc.

BUT here is the question when i added xpSP1 and updated it all following your page to the T i can not get Xp to load the OS from a directory other then CDROMROOT/i386 i spicifically have the error in the GUI of xp setup the error is the pop up box saying that it cant find the cd and to try hitting ok to browse for it. it will work untill that point . it will also work if i put the I386 on the root (but that is not what i want)
i want to run the whole mess from /xpprI386 i have edited the txtsetup and deleted all the compressed versions but somewhere it is still trying to pull it from the i386 root folder i hope this help please let me know.

#2 Twinkie

Twinkie

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 01:08 PM

Thought I should at least say I heard you....

I am looking into it but do not have an answer yet. Are you using Retail Pro or Corporate build? I just got a legit version of XP Corp. at my new job so I may be able to test that out finally. Sorry for the long response but I was in the middle of moving to a new job. Anyway I hope to post soon.
Hope this Helps,
Twinkie

#3 Guest_newGuy_*

Guest_newGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2002 - 07:43 PM

i am using a corporate version that comes with the yearly subscription for volume licencing corporations.

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:20 PM

I have the same problem..
I've been trying to get an answer to this on 5 other sites, but no one knows.. :(
Hope someone find out soon... :)

#5 Tracky110XP

Tracky110XP

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:08 AM

after burning the CD, are you able to copy down everything on the CD, or are you having an issue in the C:rootuenglishXPPROI386ASMS60100MsftWindowsCommonControlscontrols.man file.

i am having this problem as well and have posted it as well, so far all i have been told is to burn the cd at 1X or any other slower speed.

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2002 - 04:12 PM

At last! I got it! :):):):):)
All you have to do is copy the 3 files WIN51, WIN51IP and WIN51IP.SP1 to the "root" of your installastion e.g. ENGLISHXPRO
But you must also have them at the boot root.

Best regards..
Balder

#7 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:13 PM

yea if you go here in regards to the (manifest parse error) this is what is happening SOME HOW that file wont burn if you burn the CD fast amazing but true . this guy has the problem on the point. However that problem aside... now when you build the cd the problem that i run into is with 1x burndown it will get into the GUI then everything ok untill it starts the copy of more cd stuff over it will say "can not find cd blah blah" but if i just map it by clicking ok it will work (you gotta do it for each file) it's like the sourcedisk= in the setuptxt file isnt remembered and yes i did remove all the compressed versions. However i am gonna double check that i got it set up like anony: said in the last post i dont think i have the ID files everywhere. so gonna try that i will post my findings.

in Re: To

after burning the CD, are you able to copy down everything on the CD, or are you having an issue in the C:rootuenglishXPPROI386ASMS60100MsftWindowsCommonControlscontrols.man file.

i am having this problem as well and have posted it as well, so far all i have been told is to burn the cd at 1X or any other slower speed.

#8 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:33 PM

2 things here is the error page i 4got to add on the last post and my results of the testing

http://www.lecour.ne...ves/000050.html

putting the ID files in the booldisk path was a no go ...but a good idea

#9 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:00 PM

they are supposed to be there anyhow...not even the 2k version of this image will work unless it is in the same folder that contains the i386. im guessing you havent tried the 2k because you would get the same error msg.

i got a off topic ? that should be posted in a new thread but it's not of that importance too.

how and the hell do you start win200 setup from dos...i can't due it...at all. That is the only way you can choose your install dir for xp which btw does work. my friend showed me how to do it..i thought i did it exactly the same way but i guess not because it wont work at all.

however i did give him a xp cd and it did work...like that...there seems to be no other way to do it so far.

anyways it's still a mystery to me.

#10 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 11:47 AM

The error we are having is very different that anything i have ever had with 2000 ... i have had great success with the disks with 200 and never have had to put the ID files anywhere but the true CD root not in i386 or not in the BootFloppy Folder (ie xpcd) i still got the same error last night after testing this.

to run setup from dos are you running winnt.exe
that is the way nt setup always has started form a command line

#11 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:36 PM

that wont work for some reason..i load smartdriver and it gives me the error of not enough free disk space...fuc't up zhit..no matter if i format first...partition...have a fat16 or fat32 or ntfs partition...it just wont start

anyhow...the orginal guide MUST of been altered and placed on tech-hints.com If you dig up the old thread that it started for us here you will see that the ip files where to be placed in the root and the same directory that contained the i386 folder...if you didnt do this and it worked then maybe you didnt need to after all...but i would of sworn i tried it once wihtout and it fuct up...almost positive.

anyhow the orginal guide that started here like a year ago said you should put them in there...if twinkie's site's says otherwise then that is a alteration on his part....which im not too sure of why he would of altered that. So im guessing when you did your 2k multi-os you must of just dragged and dropped all files off the root of the 2k cd's...if you did that you would of dragged over the ip's so you might not of noticed you had them there.

I personally don't think twinkie altered that part of the guide however...because even if you didnt need it for sure...it would still be safe measure.

or am i wrong twinkie???

#12 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:08 PM

It looks like he tore that part out of the guide. I just went to his page and it was like i just thought a minute ago...you did copy over the ip's. About 1/5 of the way down on the page below a picture...it say's

"Simply copy the whole CD now to the matching folders."

So you did copy them over but didnt realize it. If you didn't...then again it might be different for 2k...but doubt it.

This isnt your fault however...it should state that you need those in the CDROOT and the i386ROOT. Not knowning that caused you some troubleshooting...but hey...it's a great page none the less.

You really should look into the multi-OS thread that stretch's from here to the sun...it has alot of info in it that you might like.

#13 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 09:08 AM

I'm not saying that you are wrong my cd works fine i jsut have a error that i can get working. i am not arguing that you are right or wrong - it's a hacked disk everything works if you hack it enough. It cant find the cd ...other people have had the same problem multiboot aside ...put sp3 2000 (wkst,svr,asvr) and Xpsp1 all enterprise on the same cd and try to get it to work... that's what i got and xp dont work very well. ID files aside i threw them in ever friggen directory on the cd but xp still dont work. I just need help not trying to start a war

#14 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:37 PM

I read the contents on that page you listed about controls.man or whatever. Interesting that it's XML.

only thing i can think of is that i might be a cd check...have you read or seen anything on disc protection for WindowsXP??? me neither...but i would imagine with sp1 there is some sort of check.

i understand what you saying...you misuderstood me. im not arguing...i will never run windows xp and fear those who will. (although im currently battling it out with choosing your own install director in winxp).

I have seen windows xp with sp1 warezed and released...so it does work...somehow. Ive never heard of the problem before sp1 so im not too sure how some of these people experienced this problem with a real copy of windows xp...being i dont belive it has sp1 on it...but then again i cant stand xp so i dont follow up on it alot so i could be wrong and probably am.

but to it does sound like to me sp1 has add a form of cd protection...could be the new version of securom or whatever the latest others are....if it is good luck. I dont have nearly the skills to trace this off a image file from a harddisk...from a cd this is alittle bit easier for those who dont have true cracking skills.

search for some sort of disc protection...what that xml document does exactly.

Also burning at 1x has always seem to be a mystery...from everything from vcd's to plain iso's you created containing .mp3's or data.

as far as me putting xp on a multiboot...hell no. NO THANKS...in fact i dont even know how to fit it all on one cd. (would like to know though...but careless if i dont). Xp does wonders to your free rights and also wonders to your hardware.

not my field...sorry i cant help ya...all i can say is give up and just dont run xp. (better off anyhow) Only thing i care about is installing it to a directory you choose...not the default or provided...after i conquer that...im out. I really should just give up now since i wont run it...but it's a battle that has carried on and i will not give up until i see it happen with my own hands atleast once.

I cant stand XP and wont even give MS the satisfaction of seeing just another person to watch because i have cracked something regarding XP...they can keep on looking because they wont find that in ME...i hope not YOU aswell.

#15 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 09:56 PM

Here is a exact error that i get:

One of the compoents the windows needs to continue could not be installed

The D:I386XXXXXXXX.XXXX could not be found the error code is 1

Or

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid the Error Code is 1

there is a Msft Q: Article on this but i do not see how it is related

#16 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:06 PM

I have the same error asking me to put in the xp sp1 disk, if I manually type the path of the I386 directory it works, but that's a pain since it will prompt me a million times for every file that it needs. We are both on the same track. I am trying to place win2k and winxp on the same cd using isolinux as the boot loader.
]
Another way around this is, since 2000 doesn't generate any errors, you can place it's I386 dir in some other dir other than the cd root and leave the XP I386 in the cd root. So you will have something like cdrootI386 for XP and cdrootw2kproI386 for 2k.

Although this won't work if you wanted to add xp home on the same cd, there has to be some way around this. There always is, just a matter of time before we figure it out.

Danny

#17 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 07:07 PM

sweet i'm glad i'm not crazy - yea i am using the exact workaround that you are right now. and yea some day i hope to crack it ... i have all 2000 distros and xp on the same cd. I jsut like things to be clean and having it all in the xppr folder is nice... but yea untill then.

#18 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2002 - 11:16 PM

I was able to get it to work. I copied the files win51, win51ip win51ip.sp1 into the directory that also contains the I386 directory. So currently my cd tree looks like the following:

cdrootcdrom_nt.5 for win2k
cdrootcdrom_ip.5 for win2k
cdrootcdromsp3.tst for win2k
cdrootwin51 for winxp
cdrootwin51ip for winxp
cdrootwin51ip.sp1 for winxp
cdrootxpro for xp bootable files
cdroot2pro for 2k bootable files
cdrootw2pfpp_enI386 for 2k setup files
cdrootwxpcorp_enI386 for xp setup files
cdrootwxpcorp_enwin51 for winxp
cdrootwxpcorp_enwin51ip for winxp
cdrootwxpcorp_enwin51ip.sp1 for winxp

I knew there was some way around this, actually Twinkies site seemed to have the same info.

Danny

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2002 - 11:36 PM

Someone already posted the same fix earlier in this forum!!!

Danny

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2002 - 07:45 PM

edit TXTSETUP.SIF in your dir that holds I386 (but not the TXTSETUP.SIF IN the i386!!) and find the entry SetupSourcePath
change it to the directory that CONTAINS the i386 dir.

Edit for all copies of 2k/XP you have on your disc.

Here's what mine looks like:

For Windows XP Pro I have:
SetupSourcePath = "WXPP"

For Windows 2K Pro I have:
SetupSourcePath = "WPRO"
etc...

Good luck