- - - - -

Xp MultiBoot CD -Twinkie I need your help!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 11:36 PM

a few updates ...well i just rebuilt my WHOLE cd and used the ideas you had along with using the new loader rather then the one from bart emu1x i switched to the more powerfull http://www.bootscriptor.org/ which gives me a COOL new interface to mess with ... a few minor bugs that had to be worked out but i now *think* i have a 100% working disk thanks to the last few posts i got everything working tip top now. my txtsetup.sif (all of them) are this
SetupSourcePath = "XPCORP"

and Xp setup appears to be working now. THANKS!!!

SO here is the final Deal

W2ksp3
WXPsp1 (pro)
winternals ERD 2002
winternals Disk Commander Repair Tool
Norton Ghost with CDRW support
Norton Ghost with Network (Msft net boot disk)
Partition Magic
DOS
Ultimate Hardware Troubleshooter DOS
Undeleter Pro

BOO YEA and it all works great OH yea final burn time on the cd 79:52:16 JUST MADE IT!!!! BOOO YEA

#22 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:04 PM

How did you get everything to fit. WIth xp pro sp1, 2kpro sp3, and erd 2002 I am already over 700mb.

Let me know what you did???
Thanks.

Danny

#23 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 09:13 PM

This Great Program from twinkies site. It is a iso creator that will remove the dup'd files by duping the FAT not the file if you have never used it to make cd's your CD creation world is about to expand 100 fold

The File is CDIMAGE. Made by CyBerain for www.tech-hints.com

#24 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2002 - 10:09 PM

I thought of using cdimage for this also. But the xp pro i386 dir, 2k pro i386 directory and the ERD 2002 i386 directory don't have many files that are exactly the same.

Was there any files that you deleted from the original erd 2002 i386 directory. The fonts directory is taking up about 15mb, would be nice to free up some of that space.

If possible let me know the details of what you did including the size of the dirs and anything you might have deleted to free up some space.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Danny

#25 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2002 - 10:39 PM

That's actually made by M$...cdimage that is

#26 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:26 AM

spacebtween actually it's by ciberian try calling up msft some time and asking to get a copy of CDIMAGE (the orginal non gui) and tell me what they say then you will see why i did not attach msft to that file on twinkies site.

danny
here are the stats on the cd 1's off
Image is 769740880 (before)
image is 732239872 (after) WHEW!!! that is close!

here is the cdimage command line switches
cdimage.exe -h -n -o -oc -oi -yd -m

as for ERD i got the directory down to 147450149
you can trim the fat right off by finding the RTF file in system32 folder (i think that is where it was) that is 8mb so there is a quick free space. The fonts .... well i was able to fit it on the cd after clearing the 8mb so i didnt want to clear the fonts. i wrote a letter to CD with winturnels a while back, i got connected with a dev who will let me know if i can use compressed files

trick on xp pro and win 2k
my 2k i386 = 206mb
my xp i386 = 346mb
HOw? like this
wpro-
+i386
-+system32
-+uniproc
that is the whole directory tree for 2k get rid of all the other [censored] like w98upg and ntupg and the incompatable hardware thing
xpro-
+i386
-+ASMS
-+DRW
-+SYSTEM32
and that is all i have in the i386 for xp

as for the other [censored] it's trivial ammount of space - you gotta remember that there are lots of files that XP and 2k share they are just so damn small that you dont notice much but .5mb here and there will save you ...look at me i am 2mb from overburn! if you need any other help let me know... I am 100% working now and my CD is rock solid.

#27 Twinkie

Twinkie

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:56 AM

Space is correct. CdImage is made by M$ but is only a dos command. CyBerain made a GUI for it and let me post it at my site. In case anyone was wondering.
Hope this Helps,
Twinkie

#28 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2002 - 12:18 PM

SpudGunMan

Thanks for the info and nice catch on the .rtf file.
I will try cdimage with isolinux as my boot loader and let you know how it comes out.

Danny

#29 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2002 - 06:22 PM

not my disc...dont really care but..

shouldnt you have the upgrade to xp from 2k on your disc aswell. I mean what if you use that disc and install 2k...then a couple months later want to install xp??? I mean if your in the position where you can just delete any file off your computer it's no problem...but for most people that would be a problem.

how much space would the upgrade take up ???

#30 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2002 - 06:51 PM

I am receiving an error when trying to boot this iso created with cdimage. The error says:
ISOLINUX 1.68 0x3c7f7718 isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press a key to retry...

The command line syntax I used was:
cdimage.exe -h -n -ocis -yd -m -e -bd:cdrootisolinuxisolinux.bin d:cdroot adminutils.iso

I also tried it without the -e switch and get the same error.

If I create the iso with mkisofs it works fine.
I must be missing a switch. Can someone help me out.
Thanks.

Danny

#31 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 02:00 PM

Space Between - it's a New computer build CD if anyone in my department would ever turn a computer from 2k -> xp it would be rebuilt from scratch. Just a practice i follow that i dont upgrade OS's msft isnt that good at it

#32 Guest_Evilvoice_*

Guest_Evilvoice_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:01 PM

ok, first off, you do understand that ERD in theory uses the same exact files as your windows XP "i386" directory, so trimming from that directory isnt really doing anything for you.

Also, I dont know what CD's you buy but mine are 80 min/700MB and your "after" cd image is over that or...one thing you might wanna say is that the true image file size is 698.15MB (this is derived from taking your numbers and dividing by 1024 twice which would give you a strict MB format instead of bytes).

Secondly, w2k and wxp share NO files - NONE, you are recording the exact structure that is on your HD, now, you can add multiple 2k and xp's and it wont change hardly anything, though XP home will add some files.

Besides the 552MB for ERD, w2k, and wxp - yes that is what they should equal if you burn just those (I am assuming of course that the figures for w2k and wxp are correct and that you included the boot bin files, the setup disks, the cdrom_*.5 files [for w2k], the win51* files [for wxp] and so forth and so on... now, that only equals 552MB but where does the 698 come from, well, its because of your added programs. A way to cut down some of your space and add more programs would be to find different, free versions and yes, I am strictly talking about freeware and not warez.

I am almost positive you will try and prove me wrong in the fact that ALL w2k versions, wxp versions, and a million ERD directories will equal 552 or somewhere around there, but I have created these boot cd's approximately 30 times, all from scratch, all with testing the limits...the reason I know for a fact ERD does not consume any space other than your original windows xp folder (assuming you do use cdimage for this) is because I used a full non edited windows xp pro, xp home, and erd, now, if ERD takes 150MB or somewhere around there, it would not fit on the cd I created.

I have made a win98, winme, win95, w2k (all versions), dos, bluecon pro 4(better than ERD in my opinion), 911 software cd all in 720MB yes, 20MB overburn, but most recorders will allow this. I cut out 95 and me recently because I added 98lite and using AXCEL 216's hack for 98 to make it use ME upgraded files, I can now offer 98 (the most stable 9x version MS has ever made) in both 95 and ME flavors, so I didnt need those in addition. I added EVERYTHING possible to the 911 CD. If you wanna check that cd out, goto 911cd.tripod.com. The utilities on there are unbeatable. Also, 911 uses bootscriptor for its bootloader also, though I still use diskemu.

This is not meant to be a flame, I just feel that someone is gonna argue with me, and its annoying when I have done this soo many times. I do wanna ask where I can go to find out about:
Undeleter Pro

Your help is greatly appreciated as I might wanna add these to my cd. I know sometimes I can come off as an ass and I really dont mean to be, all im really trying to say is that ERD and your newly edited wxp, w2k folders should only account for around 552MB (based on your figures, which hopefully include more than just the i386 folder, or this number could be greatly altered) and that the rest of your programs you added is whats causing you to hit 698MB...check out 911cd if you wanna add Norton Ghost and Partition Magic as the way he adds them cuts down on the extra junk that comes with those packages.

I have many many freeware programs that I found from shellcity.net and fileflash.com that you may wanna add to your boot cd and ditch some of the bigger name programs that you have on there, just a thought. But please, I would like more info on those 2 programs if possible.

#33 Guest_Evilvoice_*

Guest_Evilvoice_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:43 PM

Danny, first I would try iloader.bin I have had more success with that which is actually just kind of a "middle man" for isolinux. You should be able to get it from the same place you got isolinux, I forget exactly where...it is what I use and havent had any problems, also, I would take out the -os switch in I believe that just gives you error msgs and I would take out -yd...so in essence it should look like this

cdimage.exe -l"MYLABEL" -t05/15/2001 -g -h -n -b"d:cdrootisolinuxiloader.bin" -o -oc -oi -m "D:cdroot" "D:adminutils.iso"

#34 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:05 PM

there was no trimming from ERD erd is the same as Wxp BUt it is uncompressed making it 155MB for the ERD Folder SO if you look at it from a FAT table it is NOT the same might be the same folder but not the same files at all one is compressed the other isnt. So there are a FEW but nothing to brag about in the common files there.

w2k and Wxp share files you are VERY wrong i am not going to argue this you can just think i am full of [censored] or trust me either way you will figure it out some day.
as far as proving no i donít have to- i have a cd that is under 700 mb with all that [censored] and it all works just fine. SO i got what i need and i donít have to prove anything ... IF you need help doing what i did i will help but nothing about showing who has the bigger disc (that was censored joke)

AND again after reading your post ...this message board is dumb i came here for help and now it's this big i know more then you match. Well have fun cuz again ...my disk works and works great

I dont understand why you are just ripping my stuff...unless you truly dont get it ...but in that case ask for help not jsut rip some guy you never talked to.. then next thing we should start doing is flashing cirts? is that how it goz from here? or how about paychecks.... i jsut want to help people like me not try to rule the world ...because remember no matter how good you are there is always someone better. That's what's great and you can always learn.

so with comments like "Secondly, w2k and wxp share NO files - NONE" and " can now offer 98 (the most stable 9x version MS has ever made" i only have one thing to say MY CD WORKS GREAT AND 100%

so i will not continue this thread at all. IF you come back with a question or need help i will more then lend my time if i know what i am talking about otherwise have a nice day and keep impressing the front desk girls at your company with techno garble. Then going home to play dark age of Camelot with your e-buddy "BluePill" in a room in your basement with the cardboard cut out from star wars 1.

if you do have Q's on
Undeleter Pro

PM me with only Q's and not ranting like a crazy nerd i will help you out i dont 100% know the copyrights of the programs they are kind of ODdd so I donít wanna post the info here but if you want PM- i got them from a guy a wile back and he had them for "years" but they work with everything. and work good

As for undeleter if you have the Administrators Pack from Winturnels it comes with a much better and solid undelete program disk commander but of course "bluecon pro 4(better than ERD in my opinion" so you might not.

" can come off as an ass and I really dont mean to be" then dont be rude and if you are going to be rude only be rude not rude and nice in the same email it makes you sound like a cheesy ass.

#35 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:29 AM

Finally!!!
I got my cd to work, it took me some time to build a nice menu using bootscriptor but it was worth the effort.

My cd has:

XP Pro Sp1
2K Pro Sp3
ERD 2002
Drive Image 2002
Deploy Center 5.0
Partition Magic 8.0
Norton Ghost 2003
Norton Antivirus 2003
Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.0
NTFS Dos Pro 4.0
DOS and other free utilities for DOS
Also inlcludes usb 1.1, 2.0 and firewire drivers so that you can use these devices in DOS.

BAM. Thats what I'm talking about!!!
Thanks to anyone who helped me out. It is appreciated.

And for the other issue:
SpudGunMan is right. XP and 2k do share some files, just enough to make a difference using cdimage. And for ERD, the I386 files are uncompressed so they don't actually share anything with the XP I386 directory.

CD comes out to about 698MB or so.

#36 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:43 AM

for NAV is that the install for windows or the dos scanner? if it is the DOS scanner how did you set it up?

#37 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2002 - 08:59 PM

NAV is the DOS scanner. The DOS files come with NAV. Just take those files, boot into DOS and then run NAV from the command line to see the switches.

Where is Undeleter Pro from? Is it freeware?

Also I haven't been able to get Disk Commander to work. What files did you have to edit to get it to work? I have already edited the boot image, setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif.

#38 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:48 PM

where did you put the definition files? just on the cd and then booted the cd in dos with mscdex and grabed them off the cd? or do you have a better way? i have the files in a directory just like you i think.

as for undeleter disk commander is better that that thing - i have no information as for the copyrights it's from seagates harddrive recovery factory i dont think its a public app but i have nothing that says it isnt. PM me with a email or a ftp for further info on it.

As for the files for disk commander (which has a nice undelete)

build the Cd with the wizard and put in a directory
hex edit the /bootsect.ini
for this line SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFILEX.BINI386
and change I386 to the 4 letter folder of your choice

then edit /i386/setupldr.bin
and find the 2 'i386' and replace with your folder name

and my txtsetup file
setupsource=""

So here is the final root of the cd that i will build with ...

CDROOT/bootsect.ini
CDROOT/RDSK/setupldr.bin

if you need i can mail you the edited files (the bin's)

#39 Guest_Danny_*

Guest_Danny_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:14 PM

The definition files are on the cd.

I was doing the same hex edits for Disk Commander and using the XP I386 directory as my souce but it didn't work so I switched to 2000 I386 directory and now it works fine.

To respond to myself in one of my previous posts in regards to using isolinux and the error I was getting using cdimage. You can't use cdimage with isolinux directly because cdimage doesn't patch the boot info table. You can however use the isolinux version that comes with bootscriptor.

I have completed a new version of my cd and this is what it includes:

Windows XP Pro SP1
Windows 2000 Pro SP3
ERD Commander 2002
Disk Commander 1.1
O&O BlueCon for XP & 2000
Norton Ghost 2003
Norton Antivirus 2003
Drive Image 2002
Deploy Center 5.0
Partition Magic 8.0
Ontract Easy Recovery Pro 6.0
DOS with USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and FireWire support

There are no limits to what can be accomplished, it is only time and patience that can get us there!

Once again thanks to everyone that helped out.

#40 Guest_Evilvoice_*

Guest_Evilvoice_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2002 - 09:31 AM

Ok, well, I know its been a while since I made the "mean" post and it was not meant to say "Im smarter than you" or anything like that, I dont think Im smarter than anyone because everyone has the potential to be a genius in their own right. If you would like, I could tell you what my IQ score is, but what would that prove, and moreover if it does come out that I am smarter than you, you would more than likely stop talking to me, and how do I benefit from that, so I say [censored] that! I asked a friend of mine to read my post and tell me where I came off to be an ass, because I really just start writing and dont think about it and I have to make statements like "if i come off to be an ass, im sorry" so that maybe people will just read the post. He says that my first paragraph was [censored]ty and condescending which is wasnt meant to be, he claims the rest is fine, just me talking and showing what I did in the hopes that maybe you might want to add some things to your working copy. Nowhere did I say your copy does not work, I was just giving you some more ideas.

I do use ERD, well did, and went to bluecon pro 4 in the end because of a faster boot time and it offered everything ERD did without a GUI interface (I had problems getting ERD to run correctly, fast, and efficiently on multiple computers, so I ditched it). I offered up bluecon in case you wanted to try it out and see if you liked it, and imo it is better, but maybe not in yours which is fine...everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I dont go talking about DAOC or impressing people, I only get on the internet at home, alone, because the women I go out with do not like to get me started on computers (no idea why), but for your information, the last game I played was Diablo (the first one).

I did add disk commander per your advice, but have yet to test it out (it is extremely hard to build these cd's on a win98 machine, so I just do what I want on the HD, and then use another computer to burn the disc, but this is the last one im creating for a very long time, so I want it to be perfect). The reason I guess I picked you out is you seem very interested in this type of thing, and I have done this a lot, the main reason I have created these cd's sooo many times is because I always find something later that I want to add, I just didnt want you to go through the same thing, yes discs are cheap, but time isn't cheap. But if it makes you happy to talk down to me, fine, im still gonna be the way I am, I dont have any certifications, nor do I work a 9-5 job, I make a whole lot less than I should with my knowledge, but life is life, I made some mistakes, paid and learned.

The only reason I said anything in this post was that you had told someone to delete from ERD, now, I know you can delete a lot of folders from wxp and w2k, but when I ran ERD (which I did give a fair trial to) it always had some problem or some load error or made me log into an existing install (which I would much rather just load ERD, not log into my HD to fix it). Its not that I fault you for telling him to delete it, you deleted the 8MB file and it works for you, but a lot of people take things said here for the truth and what if someone actually needs that file? Again, this isnt meant to say anything bad about you or your disk, but if that file is truly safe to delete, then post why...same as tech-hints.com does, it actually tells you what the folders under i386 do and why you can delete them.

Like you did with ERD saying that there are a few files but nothing to brag about...I did the same with w2k and wxp, see, how i figure out my space is I select the main folder under root of everything IM going to add, but only one folder from each OS, so like, w2k adv serv, wxp pro, win98, win95, tools, extras, and all files in root, and click properties to figure out my space, very few times has cdimage given me a different filesize than what windows explorer tells me, so I made a generalization on w2k and wxp sharing files.

MY ERD actually did get combined with wxp, no idea why if it isnt supposed to, which I am sure it is not and may be why I had problems. Do you not believe 98 is the most stable windows 9x version? I ran them all, and granted it never crashed on me, but I have seen it crash on other machines (friends mostly, which then I have to reinstall everything and blah blah blah). ME wasnt bad, but not that great, same as 98 with a few enhancements, whoopty doo...95 sucked, sorry, my opinion. That leaves 98, which ran fine and still runs fine, just depends on what you do on your machine.

Well, I think that is all I am supposed to respond to, unless you wanna know more about my life or what I do, or if youd like to make fun of what a geek you think I am, go ahead bud, its all just words. I posted some websites in the post before this for you to check out what I used in conjunction with this site in thinking maybe you might find something interesting (Which I think would help people) not to say this works and yours doesnt, you already said yours worked, why would I think differently? Do I have your disk? nope. I do like to see what others have done on theirs in the hopes maybe I could add something to mine (and I did with your post about disk commander. now for my listing of what runs on my cd...

w2k (all versions) (killed un-needed folders)

w98

w98 with 98lite

911 rescue cd (911cd.tripod.com)

disk commander

bluecon pro 4 (in folder i2kp) ( I can tell you how to make all programs [minus OS's] use a different folder than i386)

w95

windows ME update for w98 (this updates all files in 98 to ME counterparts but still uses the 98 shell) (this was made from info at AXCEL216 website no http:// info, though if you search for AXCEL216 itll come up and its under 98 shell enhancements or something, but its on the homepage and pretty obvious)

MEMTESTER for testing memory on boot

FREEDOS for running killdisk and readntfs (quick load, killdisk does a complete wipe of HD and readntfs reads ntfs partitions in dos and lets you copy programs and such)

Toms rtbt linux (the most linux on one floppy - 2.88MB image file

DOS boot disk (loads 98 boot disk with some enhancements like gdisk from norton which allows one to create and format partitions without rebooting, though a reboot is required afterwards unless you didnt have a working drive letter before...ie. if you have a C; and you use gdisk and it creates a new c: it wont work, but if you have a c: and you create a d: d: will work - hope i explained that correctly)

MODBOOT disk, created from Barts site www.nu2.nu using the old modboot method not BFD, BCD BFI or anything like that though they are cool tools which I now have on the cd

Acronis OSS - dunno what it does but its there

XOSL

Bootscriptor came with 911 cd, but i still use diskemu as the booter. I also have an autorun program that is pretty tight if youd like to know more about it, it is freeware, but id have to send you the files, cuz all my efforts to actually find it online have been thwarted.

I know wxp is not in that list, thats cuz in the end I decided not to have wxp on there and instead add w98, w95, tools (yet to be named as I dont know what 149MB worth of tools ill be adding). I was even comtemplating adding wme but decided that I had 98 which would be updated with me enhancements, so killed that. I am also thinking of killing 95 since I have 98 lite which can make 98 run like 95. All that would do is free up space for more tools so it looks like wxp for me has bit the dust. OK Im done rambling, ill post and leave this for anyone who wants to say something, no im not gonna read it over, so if it offends, im sorry, I did think a little more about what I wrote, so it shouldnt, but there is no pleasin some people. I would love to find out about that ultimate troubleshooter, but i prolly wont pm you till next week.