Noisy HP Pavilion 1030n

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbeck

jbeck

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

My HP Pavilion 1030n has become intermittantly noisy. It periodically sounds like a jet engine. The sound lasts for about 1 minute, then stops. Sometime later it happens again. The time between occurances varies. Is this the fan or the hard drive? <_<

#2 Small Shoe Magoo

Small Shoe Magoo

2X less awesome than Allanon

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

When does this happen? Probably when your using higher end programs or doing something requiring lots out of your graphics card or cpu. I see the integrated graphics in your pc has only 64mb of video memory - that is low compared to the cards out there today, and upgrading is very easy, but to be sure it is not something serious you will need to post a hijackthis log for one of the admins to read. Here is are the steps on how to do this posted by guestolo.

Make sure you are using the latest version of HijackThis v2.0.2
Download Hijackthis Installer from HERE
For an alternate download location, you can try HERE
SAVE it to your desktop
Double click on HJTInstall.exe to run it
Choose Install

Hijackthis v2.0.2 will open

Under Main Menu, Select
Do a system scan and save a Log file
A log will open in Notepad
Copy and Paste the Whole log back here to the forum

To copy and paste the Whole log
You can use these steps
In the Hijackthis log>>Click EDIT at the top menubar
and then SELECT ALL
Then EDIT and select COPY
Come back here and PASTE to your reply

Do NOT post your log in anothers Topic, this may, and probably will, cause your log to be deleted
Please start your own Topic
This makes it far less confusing for all

#3 jbeck

jbeck

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

When does this happen? Probably when your using higher end programs or doing something requiring lots out of your graphics card or cpu. I see the integrated graphics in your pc has only 64mb of video memory - that is low compared to the cards out there today, and upgrading is very easy, but to be sure it is not something serious you will need to post a hijackthis log for one of the admins to read. Here is are the steps on how to do this posted by guestolo.

Yes, it seems to happen mostly when their are graphics applications running. Strangely enough it has quited down a bit right about the time I first posted this issue, or, more likely, for some reason the fan or the hard drive has quieted down. In fact it just did it again while I was writing this, but not nearly as load as it sometimes gets (maybe it's not the same thing). Below is the Hijackthis log.

<Log Removed>

Edited by guestolo, 05 October 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#4 newbiz02

newbiz02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

Noisey fan means fan is now bad. It will quit on you soon.
probably alot of strain on it, with your limited system resources.

Resveratrol Ultra Owns.
And now I'm
making sick gains in weightroom.

Play Some Adictive Mini Games Free

#5 Small Shoe Magoo

Small Shoe Magoo

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

Post the HJT log in the tech clinic section. Sorry about not telling you this before. My directions were poor.

#6 Small Shoe Magoo

Small Shoe Magoo

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Since I can't edit my last post, please post a new HJT log as many things can change in 15 days.

Thanks again

#7 jbeck

jbeck

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

My HP Pavilion 1030n has become intermittantly noisy. It periodically sounds like a jet engine. The sound lasts for about 1 minute, then stops. Sometime later it happens again. The time between occurances varies. Is this the fan or the hard drive? <_<

Problem solved! B) In August, about a month after I posted this, the referred to noise become constant. I decided to open up the PC and see where the noise was coming from. I placed the PC box on the desk and turned it sideways so I could slide off the cover. I immediately noitced that all the vent holes on the sliding panel were filled with dust. I also determined that the noise had to be coming from the fan that is on top of the micro-processor. I cleared all the vent holes with compressed air. (I also removed the dust from othr areas in the box.) I closed up the box, put it back on the desk shelf making sure that the side with the vent holes had maximum separation from the nearest side panel. I turned the computer on and the noise was gone! It's been about two months since this repair and the problem hasn't returned. Obviously, the processor was becoming overheated and the fan (which is placed on top of the processor) was running constantly to keep the processor cool. Coincidently August was a very hot month which contributed to the problem. :)

#8 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for posting back jbeck
A build up of dirt will sure do it, and can harm the processor and other parts of the motherboard/computer if not maintained
I'll lock this topic as your problems are resolved
I also removed the hijackthis log as this is not the correct section of the forums for post HJT logs

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here