How does ventrilo work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 ballerking3

ballerking3

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

i play this game called combat arms and i want to join a clan but u have to have ventrilo to join. how does ventrilo work? like how do u set it up and stuff. and then like everything you need to do to make it work

Edited by ballerking3, 20 October 2008 - 08:49 PM.

• SHEXZEXAT likes this

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

I'm surprised some of the members here, that use Ventrilo never chimed in
I suppose your best bet is reading about it yourself

http://www.ventrilo.com/

Edited by guestolo, 23 October 2008 - 05:21 AM.

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#3 newbiz02

newbiz02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

i play this game called combat arms and i want to join a clan but u have to have ventrilo to join. how does ventrilo work? like how do u set it up and stuff. and then like everything you need to do to make it work

whatever happened to just googling it?
geez must questolo do that too?
:D
Resveratrol Ultra Owns.
And now I'm
making sick gains in weightroom.

Play Some Adictive Mini Games Free

#4 Bryan G

Bryan G

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

whatever happened to just googling it?
geez must questolo do that too?
:D

This is what Google is supposed to find. Someone asks a question in a forum, gets an answer, then that's what Google finds. If everyone in all forums figures to let someone else in another forum answer a question, Google would become useless.

I found this with Google, but it's useless because no one answered the question. The Ventrilo site doesn't help at all. What is needed is to have people that use it to explain how it works, if they like it and why and maybe some ups and downs.

Edited by Bryan G, 08 December 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#5 JB Lee

JB Lee

Obviously a Bot

• Elite Anti-Scammers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

There are 2 versions of ventrilo: the client and the server.

Client: The Ventrilo Client allows you to connect to Ventrilo Servers. You put in the connection details (Host Name/Server IP, Port Number, Password) and then hit Connect, you will be instantly connected to the server. Inside the ventrilo will be one or more channels, usually 10+ channels, all named different things. For instance, if you have a gaming ventrilo (which over 95% are for), you might see channels such as "WoW Channel", "Aion Channel", "LotRO Channel", etc. Each channel is it's own Chat room of sorts, if 2 people are in the same channel, they can hear what each other say as if they were having a phone conversation. You can have more than 2 people per channel though. During Sieges, the guild I led in Age of Conan used to regularly have 50+ people all talking to each other in a channel before we would separate into groups for coordination purposes.

Server: Someone needs to download and install the server version onto their computer and go through the lengthy setup to create a usable server that others can connect to. The public server available for download by anyone can only allow up to 10 people to connect at a time, usually runs in to quite a few problems, and should only be used by people who know what they are doing. Fortunately, there are certain Ventrilo Server Host companies, who will set up and host the official version of the server (which can hold anywhere between 10 and 150 people depending on the version you request to be hosted) online, requiring no setup on your end other than the optional task of naming channels and registering names. The company then allows you to create a Master password, and gives you the connection details for the vent server. You connect to the vent as a Guest account using the client, put in the master password to make your guest account have Administrative privileges, and then have the choice of creating channels/user accounts/changing password etc. You can then give the connection details to others, allowing them to log on as guests if you don't want to create accounts for them.

#6 Bryan G

Bryan G

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thank you. Nice post. In Google this page was #2 when I searched "how does ventrilo work". Now it'll be a relevant result.

#7 fakasry

fakasry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

good news
but I can not understand this

Edited by fakasry, 21 July 2010 - 05:34 AM.