2 replies to this topic

#1 tonez

tonez

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

And once again I find myself here and online searching for an answer. I'm on a different computer now.

Heres the story.

I decided to pick up a Dust Off blower today to clean my dirty PC. I opened it and started blowing all the dust away. I thought it was really really dusty, so I unplugged my video card and dusted it. It had a tiny fan that was really dusty. After that, I decided to unplug the memory unit, both 256 mb ram and dusted it and the motherboard.

I also dusted off the power supply. After all that, I returned everything to their slots and powered my PC. I heard a loud spark and spark lit-up and out of the power supply, then the smell of burned plastic soon followed.

After that ordeal, I'm not sure if I should try to turn it on again, but I desperately need my files so I was wondering if I could salvage my videocard and harddrive and put it in a new PC? I don't know what to do. I'm worried that I might get electricuted if I touch the inside.
  • hanson200 and Kayablimi like this

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:33 AM

It's not hard, ensure to ground yourself properly, usually touching the power supply or part of the chassis before getting your hands in the box helps

Remove harddrive, set it to Slave
Put it in the other computer on same chain as other Harddrive
Unless other drive is Sata and this is IDE, then connect by itself

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#3 tonez

tonez

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks guest, I found a friend who will help me recover. You may lock this.