• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimslost

jimslost

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Pavilion a6421.uk Desktop PC with operating system : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32

problem: I used hp site to update dvd/cd driver like it said I had to. I click to update to install driver and after a time it freezes pc. I had to shut down and restart. Now dvd/cd does not work and does not open. It is lit up but ...nothing. I cannot roll back driver Its grayed out. Tried uninstalling and then re booting but it still comes up as this. What do I do now?

Using Hardware Diagnostics to check the cd/dvd it Fails with the message... missing string: libDapi5.p5p

FROM HP .....

I understand from your e-mail that you own a "HP Pavilion a6421.uk Desktop PC" and after installing an update for the CD/DVD drive it no longer works. You have tried rolling back the driver with no effect.

I cant its grayed out ????

Let us first try to restore the PC to an earlier restore point using System Restore utility in Vista and check if it resolves the issue. If it fails, we will clear the upper and lower registry filters of the drive as this will clear the CD/DVD drive registry files and check the status.

Suggestion 1: Restoring Windows to a previous point

DID NO GOOD.

Suggestion 2: Clearing upper and lower registry filters

iN regedit there is NO upperfilters or lowerfilters showing AT ALL???

Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
Click Start , and enter "regedit " into the Start Search field.
The registry editor window appears.
Select Computer in the main window.
Click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save .
A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
Click the plus sign (+) next to the following items in the list:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
* Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 . Make sure you have selected this exact key name.

* Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes

Registry Editor: LowerFilters key

If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.
Close the registry editor and restart the computer.
If the issue still persists, please reseat the drive cables connected internally and check the status.

Suggestion 3:

Gently remove both the data cable and the power cable from the back of the CD drive.
Ribbon and power cable

Reinsert the power and data cables into the back of the drive making sure the cables fit snugly into their connectors and making sure there are no bent pins.
Gently remove and reinsert the CD drive data cable from the connector on the motherboard. Be very careful to not dislodge other cables.
Replace the cover and plug in the power, keyboard, mouse, and video cables.
Replacing the side panel

7. Turn on the computer. When the first logo screen opens, press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup screen appears.

8. Press F5 , and then press the Enter key to reset the BIOS to the defaults. Setup Defaults can also be found on the EXIT screen of the BIOS Setup Utility.

9. Use the Left and Right Arrow keys to select Main.

10. The hardware-identifying name should appear next to one of the channel listings.

Example of CD/DVD drive listing in BIOS

11. Do one of the following actions depending on what is listed in the BIOS:

12. If the drive name appears , the drive is recognized by the BIOS and should also be recognized by Windows. Press F10 to exit the BIOS and let the computer start into Windows.

13. If Windows recognizes the drive, you are finished.

NO IM NOT IT STILL DONT WORK ???? :angry:

I have tried all the options you have quoted but there is no difference.
I have also tried reinstalling original hardware drivers using Recovery Manager - no difference.

Can anyone help? Ive been told I need to buy a new cd/dvd drive

Thanks Guys

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Are you saying you did a firmware update on the DVD/CD drive and it went bad?
That's when the computer froze?

What is the exact make/model of CD/DVD player?
Can you look in your Device manager and supply that info

Which driver are you talking about from the link
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3705515

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#3 jimslost

jimslost

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Yes I was doing a firmware update on the DVD/CD drive and my pc froze while updating
Device manager info for DVD/CD ROM drives is TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom Device

#4 jimslost

jimslost

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Sorry I forgot to say
TSST TS-H653N DVD-R/RW Drive Firmware Update

is the driver

Thanks

#5 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

I'm wondering what made the operation freeze when you tried to update the firmware?
What do you have running in the background>>Processes, etc..

Edit>>Actually, to get a better idea, can I see the following
We may be able to see if something is interfering with the update process
Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from >>here<< and save it to your desktop.
  • RIGHT click on RSIT.exe and choose to "Run as Administrator"
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Your firewall may alert you that RSIT is requesting Internet access. Please allow it.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open: log.txt<-- this will be maximized and info.txt<-- this will be minimized.

Post both those logs please

NOTE: If you get an error trying to post log.txt
Upload it in a reply, on the bottom right hand side of a reply box
Click the Browse...
Navigate to the file and select it, then click the UPLOAD button

Edited by guestolo, 26 July 2009 - 01:37 PM.

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here