• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ratatattatt

ratatattatt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a copy of my retail XP install CD that will allow OEM activations keys, so that my friend can reinstall Windows on a botched up PC.

So I rip the files from my CD, then edit the setupp.ini file via the instructions here. The only discrepancy is that this page says "51882" as the first 5 numbers, while my setupp.ini file ripped from my CD has "55277" as the first 5 numbers. So I've tried both "51882OEM" as well as "55277OEM", then creating an ISO and burning that to a CD. Neither of these have changed the screen I see when it comes time to enter the product key, and it still tells me the key is not valid.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Is there something in that's not mentioned in that tutorial?

#2 newbiz02

newbiz02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a copy of my retail XP install CD that will allow OEM activations keys, so that my friend can reinstall Windows on a botched up PC.

So I rip the files from my CD, then edit the setupp.ini file via the instructions here. The only discrepancy is that this page says "51882" as the first 5 numbers, while my setupp.ini file ripped from my CD has "55277" as the first 5 numbers. So I've tried both "51882OEM" as well as "55277OEM", then creating an ISO and burning that to a CD. Neither of these have changed the screen I see when it comes time to enter the product key, and it still tells me the key is not valid.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Is there something in that's not mentioned in that tutorial?

Is this XP with service packs 2 or 3?
Resveratrol Ultra Owns.
And now I'm
making sick gains in weightroom.

Play Some Adictive Mini Games Free

#3 ratatattatt

ratatattatt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Is this XP with service packs 2 or 3?

My install CD is pretty old. If I recall correctly, it doesn't have any SP packs. My friend's PC most likely came with a preinstalled SP pack, but no idea which one. Could it be that because my install CD doesn't match what SP pack was preinstalled with that PC, the activation key won't work?

That doesn't seem entirely right to me, though. The activation screen during installation has a different picture and what not for retail vs OEM, and I'm still seeing the retail screen after changing the PID.