#1 smallclaimshammer

smallclaimshammer

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hello, Guestolo....

It has been 7 years since I had may last problem that you helped me with.

I have an older PC. I had IE8 for over two years I think, no problems, just slower browsing with the load it put on processor. I'm running XP Pro with all updates, on AMD Athlon XP Processor 1700+Model6, Stepping 2, 1470 MHZ. It got really slow last week. I have and used Malwarebytes, and SpyBot S&D often...3 or 4 times a month...no scans with problems, virus, or trojans. Ocassional "RightMedia" cookie. I ran all when slowed down, nothing. Ran ESet scan..nothing. Read Microsoft support...how to remove IE8. IE8 had button for remove in ADD or Remove Programs...control panel. No tab for SP3. Removed IE8.

Reboot...I have Internet Options showing in Control panel...click it and it blips on then off.
No Internet Explorer toolbar, no tabs for EDIT, Favorites, Tools, etc......
I can not download programs, or Micrsoft FixIt.
Can not download PDF files.

I can browse Internet sites, I can see images/photos posted to forums, and click to enlarge them OK.
I can transmit Email...but not post any photo attachments to them.
I recieve email OK.

Could it be a JAVA related problem? Control C to copy, and Control V to paste....will not work HERE in this reply box ...on items (recent Java errors) I have copies of on clipboard,that
I tried to post here, using copy/paste.

I ran Restore to earlier date...did not help...it reinstalled IE8 on restore. Same problem no change. Picked another date...forward of first restore, did not help. Read on Microsoft support about registry checking...did so..saw nothing enabled in areas of IE. I do not show a file for Restrictions under IE, user or local system registry. As was mentioned on one page...maybe not XP correct. I'm not sharp on this in-depth computer drill down. No registry changes made.

I do not have HijackThis....to run in my programs list, and cannot download it ...with current problem. I turned off windows security firewall,and turned off Malwarebytes immunization, also Spybot S&D. No change, no help.

Can you help guide me on this?

I'm going to need HJT...aren't I?

I may be able to get the HJT download from another computer with USB download. I'll go try that now.

Your help is appreciated,

Thanks, John

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hi again John
Let's try the following:

I can not download programs, or Micrsoft FixIt.

Alright, I assume that IE is your only installed browser
If your going to tranfer files
Can you transfer the following
Download OTL.exe by OldTimer
Transfer it to the Desktop of the computer that can't download
  • Close all windows and double click on OTL.exe to run it
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted.
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.

In addition: This is optional, but may be worth installing another browser to make things easier
Why not, download and transfer the installer for Firefox at the same time
http://www.mozilla.o...irefox/all.html

If you opt to install firefox, while installing, you can have it import IE favorites
Also, don't select to make it default, unless preferred

Do you want to post your own HijackThis log?
Follow the instructions posted Here

Not required, but if you would like to donate to help my fight against malware
Click Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users