Photo
- - - - -

ALFA AWUS036h wireless adapter extremely slow!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolovis

rolovis

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hello, I just got a new AWUS036h wireless adapter of off amazon.com and have been having trouble with the download speed for it. I have read that many people have had this problem and I cannot seem to find a fix for it. I have Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, and I think the problem is the driver compatibility with my OS..but like I said I can't find a fix.. Can you help me find out if this is the problem, and a fix for it? Thanks!

#2 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Is this is a Laptop, or a Desktop computer?
If, in a Laptop, did you disable it's other wireless builtin adapter?

Which drivers are you using?
What connection speed are you getting? Info in Control Panel>> Network and Sharing Center>> Connection

Have you seen this link?
http://alfaawus036h.com/

Do you want to post your own HijackThis log?
Follow the instructions posted Here

Not required, but if you would like to donate to help my fight against malware
Click Here

#3 rolovis

rolovis

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

I am using a desktop computer. I have tried using the drivers on the cd, and have tried using drivers I've found on the internet..and I have also tried using the vista drivers on the cd for it which I read worked, but it hasn't for me. My connection speed says its at 11.0 Mbps. But when I try to download anything I struggle to get 30 kbps. It's really weird because some times It works really well...but then goes bad in seconds. I have not seen that link before, but don't see anything new on that site that would help.

Sometimes when I start speed tests at first the speed looks like its going to be decent..like around 3.5mbps..but then before it even gets halfway done the test almost slows to a stop..going really really slow. Not sure why though.

Also thought I should mention that the router is a wireless N router.

#4 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Not sure what Router you have, what signal is it broadcasting, it may be Wireless b/g/n
but only broadcasting b, I highly doubt it, but check

In addition, ensure your adapter, which should be b/g compatible is not set to receive only b signal, which is 11mbs
G signal is 54mbs

Click Here

#5 rolovis

rolovis

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

It's a Linksys wireless N home router broadcasting in N, and my adapters wireless mode is set to IEEE 802.11b/g.

Keeping the wireless network connection status up, I've noticed that the speed jumps from 11.0 mbps to 54.0 mbps or any number in between.

#6 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Way too many Linksys Routers to pinpoint the one you have, anyways, do you have the latest firmware for your Router?
If not, ensure you get it, you may have to reset Router after updating
As your connection is flucuating, is there a lot of interference between the Router and Wireless adapter
Cordless phones on same frequency, Microwaves, etc..
Have you tried changing broadcast channel on Router?
What encryption are you using?

Router is not only broadcasting N, it must also be doing B/G as you are getting a wireless connection
Interesting enough, did you get this wireless adapter for free? Why not go for a Wireless N adapter?

Click Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users