54 replies to this topic

#21 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just out of curiosity, was it an AVG problem?

It could of been, I'm not 100% sure as ComboFix did fix some problems
No sorry, but thanks anyways
I don't use dwolla, I believe it's only offered to US citizens, I'm up here in Canada :)

Do you want to post your own logs from FRST?
Follow the instructions posted Click Here

#22 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Ok, guestolo, I know now that the offending program is QuickBooks. Among the updates I had done earlier, an R11 update from QB was included. But then I had done a System Restore.

Today, I used QB again. It asked me to install the update and after the installation, I restarted the computer. Before the computer restarted, a blue screen appeared with a long message starting with "Windows has detected a bad program and is shutting down to prevent damage to the computer." (I am writing this from another computer.)

I will try to restart again in safe mode and do a System restore, if it lets me. If it doesn't, I will let you know.

Thank you.

#23 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

It's possible this is associated with your problems
http://support.quick...ticles/SLN41800

#24 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

The computer ran Start-Up Repair upon restart. It ran for over two hours!! (When I hit the Cancel button after 10 minutes, it said the operation cannot be cancelled.)

Anyway, it is up an running now, restored to an earlier date.

The QB link you mentioned refers to earlier versions of QB. I have the 2011 version. I found the following in a link on R11 update search:

Try renaming your config.msi folder.

Open Windows Explorer (right-click on the Start button and select Explore)
Double-click on the C: drive
Show hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > Select View tab >Hidden files and folders > select Show hidden files and folders > Click Apply and OK)
Show protected operating system files (Tools > Folder Options > Select View tab > Deselect Hide protected operating system files > Click Apply and OK)
Right-click Config.Msi folder and select Rename
Add .old to the end of the filename and press Enter (the folder name should now be Config.Msi.old)
Hide protected operating system files and hidden files and folders again (following Step 3 and 4 above, but hiding, instead of showing)
Now update, repair, uninstallation or installation should complete without error

However, I am not going to attempt it. I can live without the update.

Somehow, this has also messed up Java. I cannot uninstall it from the Add/Remove window. When I try to, I get the message attached here.

Thank you, once again, for your help. It is much appreciated.

Attached Files

#25 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Download and save to desktop JavaRA from the following link
http://download.thew....16-22-6-12.zip
Extract to it's own folder
Open the folder and Right click on JavaRa.exe and choose to "Run as Admin"
Choose 'English' then click "Select"
Under "Additional tasks" select the top 3 selections and also the bottom 2 selections
Then click GO
OK all the prompts, close the box afterwards
Ensure all browser windows are closed and choose "Remove older versions"

Reboot, is that any help?

#26 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Now the computer won't even start. It gets stuck on 'Starting Windows.' The two available options are 'Start Normally' or 'Startup Repair.' Repair means another two hours.

If I hit Delete at start up, will it give me the choice to start in safe mode or something? Ok, there is no safe mode there.

What do I do now?

If i don't hear from you tonight, I will run Start-Up Repair again before I go to bed and hope for the best by morning.

#27 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

After you ran Javara? I doubt it would cause that

Try the startup repair option if start normally isn't working
I'm running out of time to help on this unfortuneately, tonight is my last night here before I leave
for work for 28 days, at which time my internet time is very very limited

NOTE: You aren't running registry cleaners on this machine are you?

#28 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

No I am not running registry cleaners or anything else.

I did not run Java. I shut it before running Java to see if it was running fine.

Hopefully, Start-up Repair will fix it. If not, I am leaving for a trip too on the 5th until the 30th. Will deal with it when you return.

Willyou be on your computer for a while today? I will run the repair now and let you know. As I said, it could be 2 hours.

Thank you.

#29 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'll be off and on for the rest of the day
Come tomorrow, I'll be trying to be on in the morning, but after that time is very limited for the
next 28 days.. Not my choice, it's where work takes me :)

#30 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

By no means do I want to impose on your time. You are doing me a favor and you have been very helpful, not only this time but also in the past.

Have a fruitful trip. If it gets done before you leave, well and good. If not, we will revisit whenever you have time on your return.

Thank you.

#31 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

After a couple of tries, it started. I will install Java and let you know. Anything else I should be doing?

#32 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

I ran JavaRa. It removed the old files except that the last selection - Remove Java Console Extension - stayed on with the check mark. Maybe it is supposed to stay that way.

Also, did you want me to post the log?

The computer is working fine, but the last few re-starts have taken forever. So this machine will be staying on until I have to turn it off.

Thanks again and enjoy your trip.

#33 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

but the last few re-starts have taken forever

It's not an AVG problem again is it?
The last time it was....
I don't need to see the log from JavaRA
You may want to again try an uninstall of AVG, reboot, run the removal tool, reboot
Any quicker startup?

#34 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I am just afraid of a reboot right now. The last one rendered the machine useless for two to three hours. And I have much work on this computer before my trip tomorrow. I will finish whatever I have to do while it is still working and try the uninstall later tonight after wrapping up my work.

I understand you will be unavailable by that time. I will give you an update after you return.

Thank you, once again, for your time and patience.

#35 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi Guestolo, I have graduated to bigger problems since my return. The biggest issue is that a message keeps popping up on my screen every 15 minutes or so saying, 'Windows detected a hard disk problem' and that I should back up all my data and contact my computer manufacturer. This has been going on for three days.

When I start my computer, before the Windows logo comes on, there is a lot of text in black and white ending with 'AHCI Port 1 Device Error' and to hit F1 to continue. (The Port 1 Device is the CD-ROM, I believe.) The computer starts after I hit F1.

The computer is considerably slower than before on start up, but not like it was (20 minutes for start-up) when we communicated last time in early July.

I do not believe it is a hard drive error, but it may well be. The computer keeps freezing, about once a day, usually when using Firefox, but also when I am running Foobar or other programs. The freeze lasts 5 minutes or less. Most of the time it runs fine.

There is too much going on and I hope I have given you the gist of the problem(s). Should I send you the HijackThis log or run anything else, or should I start looking for a new machine?

Thank you.

#36 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I would backup all files/folder.. eg.. Save pictures, videos, word files, etc.. that you want to keep to external drive or cd/dvd

What is the exact make/model of computer?
You may have to replace the harddrive, have you made your recovery disks for this machine? Or were they supplied when you bought it?

#37 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I use an online back-up service, so all files are hopefully saved.

The computer is eMachines ET1831-07, bought 2 1/2 years ago. I did make the Recovery Disks.

#38 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Your hoping the files are saved, still might be a good idea to backup to external drive or DVD if you want to be double sure
You should run a harddrive diagnostic tool... Do you know the makers of your harddrive?

If not, try this tool to identify and post back make of harddrive
http://www.filehippo...download_speccy
UNTICK both options when installing concerning Google Chrome, you don't need it if you don't want it

#39 indfin

indfin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I checked from another computer, I can download my saved files from the back up service. But I will still get an external hard drive to back up the music files, etc. which I don't save with the online back up; gets too expensive.

Ran Speccy. The harddrive is '699GB Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA)'. Following is the rest of the information:

ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device
Manufacturer Seagate
Form Factor 3.5"
Interface ATA
Capacity 699GB
Real size 750,156,374,016 bytes
RAID Type None
S.M.A.R.T
S.M.A.R.T not supported
Partition 0
Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #0
Size 13.0 GB
Partition 1
Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #1
Size 100 MB
Partition 2
Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #2
Disk Letter C:
File System NTFS
Volume Serial Number 084A77B1
Size 686GB
Used Space 149GB (22%)
Free Space 536GB (78%)

Please let me know how to run the harddrive diagnostic tool. Also, should I wait to get the external harddrive and back up the rest of my files before running the diagnostic tool, or it makes no difference?

Thank you for your time and patience.

#40 guestolo

guestolo

Site Donator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

An external drive is a good idea for backup if you can afford one
Or backup music to blank DVD-r's as eg...
mp3's can be backed up as data

You can run this now, before getting external drive or burning disks
I would run the Seatools for Dos on drive, will show you if the drive is failing
Run short and long test

Here is the instructions and download link to create a bootable CD
http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/201271en