- - - - -

SATA and XP Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
145 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_apocalypse_*

Guest_apocalypse_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:50 PM

I recently brought a Spanking brand new computer(which i assembled myself), and now im having trouble's with it. OK got it checked by mate, no prob's with system. This is XP and the new SATA Drive problems. WinXp Autoload installer does not find my hd, yet if i go into dos i can find it, and play around with it(yes its formatted and partitioned correctly). and ive tried winnt.exe off the cd, and when the computer reboot's it hangs on the boot seqence from the hd.(please help me, my gf will kill me if i spend much more time on this lol). Thnx

#2 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:00 AM

Make sure the computer is set to boot off "other devices" or something to that nature in BIOS.
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#3 Tracky110XP

Tracky110XP

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:08 AM

durring the installation of XP you need to press F6 then install the SATA controller drivers durring the setup. this will then enable you to see the hard drive durring setup.

#4 Guest_apocalypse_*

Guest_apocalypse_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:15 AM

Got it working heres how it works. XP hates getting drivers off cd when u start install from dos using WINNT.EXE, so you have to copy the drivers from their location(cd in this case) and put them onto a disk, then press F6 during the set up and tell it to find the drivers on the disk, no problems after that, oh and for anyone who's interested blue tooth wireless networking is good :) just installed it.
Les

#5 Guest_BAZZZZ_*

Guest_BAZZZZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2003 - 02:09 PM

yes i have the same problem ,,but i am missing this ..silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Driver Installation Disk
tried making it from mother board cd rom but the files in drivers folder is incorrect ,, xp comes upwith sataraid not link

dont know what to do , i am using a asus a7n8x mother board and a matrox 80gb sata hard drive

thanx in advance bazzzz99Email Removed

#6 Guest_D_*

Guest_D_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:01 AM

yes i have the same problem ,,but i am missing this ..silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Driver Installation Disk
tried making it from mother board cd rom but the files in drivers folder is incorrect ,, xp comes upwith sataraid not link

dont know what to do , i am using a asus a7n8x mother board and a matrox 80gb sata hard drive

j'ai exactement le même problème que toi
l'as tu résolu ?

voyage16Email Removed

merci

#7 Guest_D_*

Guest_D_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:02 AM

j'ai exactement le même problème que toi
l'as tu résolu ?

voyage16Email Removed

merci

#8 Guest_nivus_*

Guest_nivus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2003 - 04:18 AM

:o

i have the a7n8x deluxe rev 2.xx and a maxtor 120gb s-ata.

..and totally the same problem!

#9 CJTech

CJTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:52 AM

You can't RAID a single drive, so don't enter the Silicon Image BIOS. Just move on.

First, enable the SATA header. Read page 2.7 in the manual. Now boot up and go into BIOS setup. In there, set the third boot device to SCSI - unless there is a "BB" device available to select. That would be it.

#10 CJTech

CJTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:58 AM

For New Windows XP Installation

1) Install the board and follow Microsoft procedures to install Windows XP accordingly.
2) Restart your system when prompted by Windows' installation.
3) At the Windows Setup screen, press F6 to install the driver.
4) Insert the driver diskette. Press S then press Enter.
5) Select Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Serial ATA Controller and press Enter.
6) Press Enter to continue and follow on-screen instructions to complete Windows XP installation.

Note: When the Software Installation warning pops up, click Yes. And when the Hardware Installation warning pops up, click Yes again. Our driver has been thoroughly tested in Windows for stability. This message appears because Microsoft has not tested this product through WHQL certification.

For Existing Windows XP Installation

1) Install the board and boot up Windows XP.
2) At the Found New Hardware Wizard, insert the driver diskette, select Install the software automatically (Recommended), then click Next.
3) When a warning message pops up, click Continue Anyway, then click Finish. Our driver has been thoroughly tested in Windows for stability. This message appears because Microsoft has not tested this product through WHQL certification.
4) Remove the driver diskette and restart Windows to complete the driver installation.

Verify for Successful Installation

1) Right click My Computer and click Manage.
2) Select Device Manager.
3) Double click SCSI and RAID Controllers, then double click Silicon Image SiI 3112 Serial ATA Controller to display driver properties.
4) A message This device is working properly is displayed in the dialog box, the driver has been correctly installed.

#11 CJTech

CJTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:05 AM

Try this web site and download the drivers for your install....

Non RAID ---> http://12.24.47.40/d...e.asp?aid=10471

RAID ---> http://12.24.47.40/d...e.asp?aid=10469

#12 Guest_MeXuS^_*

Guest_MeXuS^_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2003 - 03:52 PM

Guys help me.
I just made my new PC:
AMD Opteron
Asus SK8N
Maxtor 160GM SATA
Driver stuff with the F6 but the installation doesn't find the drive!!
P.S BIOS is set!

PLS help me!!!

#13 Guest_Tgvirus99_*

Guest_Tgvirus99_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2003 - 11:42 AM

:D Ok i Have the answer you have all been lookin 4 send £1 to me at the following adress:

***********only jokin lol**********************************************

to install a SATA hard drive in windows xp u simply need to make a floppy disk that windows xp asks for !! EASY RIGHT !!. if u mail me i will send u an email contain the files u need to create the SATALink Driver Installation Disk. i will also include simple instructions on how to do it.

my e mail adress is tgvirus99Email Removed.

thought i should share this info cos i know how many people are havin trouble with it!!!!!

#14 Guest_drdoc_*

Guest_drdoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:28 PM

sata & xp
I have ga7n400 with sata drive
also have intel 875 with sata
both have bluescreen problems.

There is a problem when you are accessing the dvd on pata and sata at the
same time. So if you are installing xp onto a sata drive then you are rapidly reading pata (cd/dvd) ad copying files to your sata drive. I was getting file not found miscompares lockups and bluescreens if you retry it continues. There is obviously some firmware/driver problem. This is what we get for being on the bleeding edge of technology (sata). Even after I got xp installed if you play a movie or install office xp you get bluescreens and file errors. The errors dont repeat because it is a firmware/chipset problem - its FLAKY.

I did get it working best by:
putting the dvd on ide3 - ( thats the raid ports ).
use f6 to install with si3112 drive diskette
enable scsi, sata and base in bios.
enable raid in ata mode not raid mode.

you might try making the cd run in pio mode not dma - that might fix it too....

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2003 - 02:03 AM

Hi!

I have problems with fresh installed windows xp on sata.
I used flopy disk to install drivers for sata and my Windows xp work ok on sata disk. But when i install large files like quicktime the windows xp freez. After installation of quicktime i canno't start windows xp regullary but i can only start windows xp in safe mode. Can anybody help me with that.

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:27 PM

I'm looking for the Silicon Image 3112 SATALink Drivers also. Does anyone have a link for me to get them from? I'm about to send an e-mail to tgvirus99Email Removed for them.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:28 PM

by the way, the link to download the "Non-Raid" drivers above, does not work. Neither one works. they're dead links. It loads the page, but the page is completely blank.

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2003 - 06:47 PM

The problem is the same with Win2k btw ..
Now, the F6-thing is the obvious solution I tried it, just .. I do not have a floppy drive (Who needs such nowadays anyway?) and the Windows installer won't take anything else. Is there a way around that?

#19 Guest_Thomas_*

Guest_Thomas_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:53 AM

Now, the F6-thing is the obvious solution I tried it, just .. I do not have a floppy drive (Who needs such nowadays anyway?) and the Windows installer won't take anything else. Is there a way around that?

I did it this way;

The driver load during the XP Installation (F6) worked but after the HD was formatted and the partitions were made, the copying of the drivers did not work for some f*cking reason...

So i booted my system from a win 98 boot diskette and manually copied the driver files to the system32\drivers folder.

This worked and i could continue the installation from the harddisk but then a new problem came up; Now for some reason my system keeps rebooting... :angry:

What is wrong? :blink:

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:47 AM

I did it this way;

The driver load during the XP Installation (F6) worked but after the HD was formatted and the partitions were made, the copying of the drivers did not work for some f*cking reason...

So i booted my system from a win 98 boot diskette and manually copied the driver files to the system32\drivers folder.

This worked and i could continue the installation from the harddisk but then a new problem came up; Now for some reason my system keeps rebooting... :angry:

What is wrong? :blink:

My problem is solved; a corrupt win xp cd that couldn't load the drivers from the a: diskette...
An earlier version did the trick!

I hope everyone who has this problem can now solve it :)

mvg,
Thomas.