12 replies to this topic

#1 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:49 PM

So far it looks like you want more how-to's, followed by more files for download. Is there something in particular you'd like to see? Any files you'd like to see offered for download?

#2 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:16 AM

How about guides on sytem optimisation, cooling, tweaking

articals about new hardware and how they compare to new hardware ect

but i dont really have any ideas :)

just some more kool stuff :D

#3 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:34 AM

I agree, I think we need some more content regarding win2k and winxp, though personally I'd love to have more linux content. If there's anything you'd like to submit let me know, I'd be glad to put it on the site. I'll need to rely more on others for the Windows content, since I don't run Windows natively anymore (closest I come is running WinMe in win4lin).

#4 TheReasonIFailed

TheReasonIFailed

journeyman

• Private Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:46 PM

I'm pretty familiar with Win 2K/XP so I also would like to see more Linux stuff on here.

BRING ON THE LINUX!
if at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0

#5 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:11 PM

I'm trying to learn some code to make a frontend to some linux dvd apps...still wouldn't let you do everything in linux but you could at least do the ripping and the burning part. If/when I get that done, I'll throw together some howto's on that.

#6 The_Flames

The_Flames

enthusiast

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:27 PM

personally I'd love to have more linux content.

Same here, guides on linux would really rock, ie system configuration. how to get win4lin working, how to use wine to make games run ect would be really kool :)

#7 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:18 PM

Right now wine doesn't run well on my system (new glibc), hopefully there'll be a fix for that soon.

BTW any of you know of a good logo for the DVD frontend I'm making? It'll let you rip, make an iso, and burn, I just don't have a good logo for the proggie.

#8 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

I'm working on a new how-to, not much, just how-to convert some svcd images to mpg2 and joining (would be a good lead-in on how to make an mpg2 file into a dvd I guess). And the gui works but I found out someone's already using the name I picked, plus still need a logo. Well at least it works eh?

#9 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:04 AM

Josetann about your last post...svcd is already mpeg2...not sure what you mean by that. So pretty much just up the bitrate (if you want, friends that author svcds into dvd's dont even do that, just the transcoding (and that isnt always needed))

Im in favor of the linux tut. NOTHING overly done. I mean something totally 100% xserver tut. The shell scripting is fun but most people dont want to learn that much about interfacing with the machine at that low level (this is sad...but i find it true).

I figure something really basic. Enough to get people up and running their computer in general. Alot of people dont do much with a windows computer that cant be done in any other OS and not just Linux. FreeBSD, MAC, Solaris, they all offer the same features now days.

Here's my "overview" run down of a linux tut on how to convert to Linux.
(btw i dont see this tut in existence really...most tuts always break out more than enough CL stuff to get by...better for understanding...but still doesnt get the user on it first with ease).

This should span no more than 3 pages...it can be done.

1. Installing, this is a no brainer. All you really need is /.
A. Partition in your recommended filesystem, if possible let install do it for you
B. Choose a Graphical startup.

1.5 man pages
A. man typeset (just telling people to use man for help...helps ALOT)

2. Setup your ISP connection via DHCP, this is a no brainer...but some could use a
walk through (i guess?).
A. Setup file sharing via SAMBA or 1 or 2 others.
B. Simple SSH login

3. Installing software. Alot of people have this problem.
A. CHMOD 755 filename.bin (or whatever).
B. bash file.bin
C. using graphical tools to install/uninstall (i cant help on this...i use the shell)
D. RPM installer

4. Compiling with gcc and java. This is a MUST. Most (actually all) software i
download myself i compile. Just the general gcc -o source source.c and
javac -g file.java

Thats IT!!! I think if you get people to learn the above simple stuff, its all experience usage from there...just like windows is unless you read a book on windows.

I cant help on the graphical tools...i really cant. I dont have the faintest idea on how to even install a application via a GUI. Ive done it before, but dont remember how. MOST (if not all) GUI's i dont know. I understand the xserver itself but not the interaction....yet. I keep meaning to learn the GUI enviroment but there is just always something in front of that learning time i find interest in more.

--

As far as the windows tut's...pfff :-). It's all online and most of the stuff is right in the help file or on the m$ dev site itself. More windows tut's is like beating a dead horse to me.

#10 Twinkie

Twinkie

• Forum Mods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:20 PM

I'm going to side with space on this one. More M$ howto's would be overkill. The forum pretty much takes care of that anyway. If we find something that no one has done before we could post that.

Bring on the Linux howto's.
Hope this Helps,
Twinkie

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:38 AM

I would like to see more how tos on XP

#12 Guest_fred bloggs_*

Guest_fred bloggs_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:26 AM

I'd like to see less posts from newbies trying to bypass Microsoft activation, avoid cd/dvd copyright etc etc etc....
Most of the time a Google search would give these people the answer anyway and it appears to me that its just bloody laziness on their part.
I've been a fan of this site for some time but I find it disheartening to see that the technical expertise that is available is seen by some as an excuse to break the law.
Yes I'm aware that everybody hates Microsoft and they could afford to give away software now but this is the real world and it aint gonna happen.
Ho hum, thats my moan over with...

#13 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:02 PM

I apologize, I've been pretty busy recently. I went through and cleaned up some of the posts, closed inappropriate topics, and warned some members.

There is a report button on each post that you may use to report offensive posts. This will help us take care of the problem. Thank you.