1 reply to this topic

#1 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:59 AM

Want to use your Intellimouse Explorer's side buttons in Mozilla with Linux? Here's a solution that I use with Mandrake 9.0 using KDE, but it can easily be adapted to other distros and window managers. Note that I used KDE-specific instructions (for the autostart feature) since xmodmap will NOT work for me using xinitrc. If you know of a better way of doing this that works, please post your solution here.

First, you must have imwheel installed. Next, find your XF86Config file, in my case it is at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Find the section for your mouse, and change it to this:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Next, rename /etc/X11/imwheelrc to imwheelrc.bak (or whatever you wish), create a new /etc/X11/imwheelrc file, and put this in it:

".*"
None, Up, Alt_L|Left
None, Down, Alt_L|Right

Also note, if you already have imwheelrc installed and have a custom imwheelrc file in your home directory, you will want to make the same changes. Ok, next create a file named /usr/bin/explorerbuttons and put this in there:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
sleep 1s
imwheel -k -p -b "67"

Then do a "chmod 755 explorerbuttons" to make it executable. Lastly, goto /usr/share/autostart/ and create a new file called "explorer.desktop". Put this in it:

# KDE Config File
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/explorerbuttons
Terminal=0
Name=Explorer Buttons
X-KDE-autostart-after=kdesktop

Reboot, and enjoy! The main things are you must edit the XF86Config-4 file to have X recognize all the available buttons. They're not mapped correctly though, so xmodmap must be run to remap them (don't ask why they can't be mapped correctly in the config, no one really knows). Then, imwheel is used to map the side buttons to keyboard commands that mozilla uses to go back and forward in your browser history.

#2 Guest_Final-Reality_*

Guest_Final-Reality_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2002 - 05:25 AM

Thanx, you da man JT! :D