4 replies to this topic

#1 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 02:14 PM

Ok, I am a big FreeBSD guy so generally I haven't used much else (RH 6.0, Mandrake 8.2). I am curious what distros you have used that are very light-weight ala need to run on a K6-2 400 and not be dog slow. We are going to get Ximian Evolution w/ the Exchange Connector to make "cheap" Exchange clients for users that don't need to use anything besides email.

So give me your suggestions for distros to use....no obscure ones please, I dont have time to train these people thru much more than the basics.

#2 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:34 AM

Well, the PC I gave my little brother runs Mandrake 8.2 on a Cyrix 333. Now it does run kinda slow, but it's fast enough for what they do with it (play some mp3's and some kids games). I figure with a K6-2 400, you should be able to run Mandrake 9 fairly well, just turn off all the eye-candy in whatever window manager you choose (probably Gnome if you're using Evolution alot, since it's a native app).

#3 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 01:23 AM

Interesting. I thought Mandrake and RH were gearing towards the more powerful end of computing these days....I guess K6-2 400 isnt THAT slow.

#4 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:48 PM

Well, the Cyrix 333 is kinda dog slow, but it does run. A K6-2 400 would be a decent bit faster so it should be bearable. Now, I haven't tried Mandrake 9 on that PC yet, so it may be faster or slower (I would bet slower). Also since I don't use Gnome, and you'd probably want to lean that way, I can't really give any speed comparisons on that either.

#5 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:07 AM

I had Mandrake 8.2 and Gnome running as a dual boot on my Tbird 800 so I have that as a point of reference, but its still a totally different league. Worst case...it is too slow and I find a workaround...no biggie. Ill let ya know how it pans out.