3 replies to this topic

#1 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 07:01 AM

OK i but you guessed it was coming what do i need to host my own e-mails?
[image]http://www.geocities.com/maxxrezz/Maxx1.jpg[/image]

#2 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 09:44 AM

Not sure if you can do it with a dynamic ip, but I know it can be done with a static ip. Are you going to run linux or windows? I've never been clear on which you're going to run, only that right now you're running windows. Again, linux already has everything you need to run your own mail server. You can use sendmail (most common), qmail, postfix, or a host of others.

I can help with setting it up on linux, as I've had to do so several times. I haven't ever set it up on windows so can't really help you out there.

#3 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 10:36 AM

OK i but you guessed it was coming what do i need to host my own e-mails?

JT is right...dynamic might not work. Basically what you need to do is create a record in your DNS for the "mail" hostname so that mail.tekpants.com resolves to your connection. Next thing you need to do is create an MX (mail exchange) record in DNS that says that the "mail" DNS entry is your mail server. Once you accomplish all that...you setup your mail server of choice (sendmail on linux or Exchange on Windows) and forward the appropriate ports from your router to your mail server.

I doubt that anyone will offer dynamic DNS as well as setup the MX record etc....im almost positive that you will need a static IP for that.

#4 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 01:49 PM

sounds like a challange to me
[image]http://www.geocities.com/maxxrezz/Maxx1.jpg[/image]