6 replies to this topic

#1 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:48 PM

My head's spinning trying to find the best email server available. Sendmail is the standard, but is very bulky, slow, and insecure. Postfix looks ok and is standard on Mandrake 9.0. I'm kinda leaning towards qmail at the moment. No binary rpms which i don't like, and it's not standard on Mandrake (I would love to use a standard proggie so I can update them all using MandrakeUpdate, then again maybe qmail would never need updating?).

I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on the server, and will use Spamassassin and Razor to help reduce spam. I prefer having spam controls set by the user (i.e. what rating to mark as spam, whether to mark or just delete, etc.) and so far it looks like with Sendmail this can be done, and with qmail it's partially possible though most of what I've read deals with server-wide settings, and not per-user. No info read on Postfix yet, I'm sure there's some info about it though if I keep looking.

Any thoughts?

#2 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:56 AM

For *nix stuff, I have only used sendmail and it worked fine for me....It is pretty much the standard...and how can that many *nix geeks be wrong?

#3 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 10:25 AM

True, but if I only used what everyone else uses, I'd be running Windows on my desktop, and if I didn't have Windows on my server it'd be running RedHat and not Mandrake :)

Lot of exploits out for Sendmail, that's why I'm thinking of using qmail. If I use a different pop server than the one built-in with qmail, then I could use the mbox format and do my filtering through procmail. Just not sure if that's the best way though.

What I'm thinking, is just using Maildir as the mailbox format, which is not sendmail compatible but it is a fairly recognized standard. For the server-wide spam settings, I would have it set to not delete, only mark it. Then I can work on another script perhaps that would let users decide to have the spam mail deleted or not.

#4 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:43 PM

Heh...sounds like a viable solution to me.

#5 GearHead

GearHead

admin wannabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 01:52 AM

Kerio MailServer is great, though is not free.

#6 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 02:59 AM

At $370 (for just 20 users), I think I can afford to take a day or two off to figure out qmail and get that working. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#7 Guest_BlackRazor_*

Guest_BlackRazor_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:47 PM

Josetann:

So what you end up doing? We have setup SpamAssasin, and setup 2 PCs with Mandrake 9.0 (mx1, mx2)
filtering, we use sendmail, instead of postfix or qmail, even though we tried postfix.

It's then re-directed to an Exchange box.