#1 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:54 AM

Erm were to start!

I thought i would take a look at mandrake so i put the install cd in and made a partition to install linux on and that was all fine it installed ok but heres my problem im hoping you linux experts can help with.

I have also have windows 2k installed onto the C drive linux is on D (i think linux uses drive letters)

My problem is im going to need linux drivers and im going to need them off the net.

unfortunatly i have not got the first clue on how to boot into windows linux has taken over and beaten win 2k into submition!

how o how do i boot into windows or set mandrake to look for other os's upon boot?????????
[image]http://www.geocities.com/maxxrezz/Maxx1.jpg[/image]

#2 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 09:29 PM

Mandrake should automatically have detected the Windows install. What do you see when you first boot up? Did you use Grub or Lilo as the boot manager? I really only have experience with Lilo, but if you chose the graphical install it should pop up for a few seconds...soon as it does just hit the down arrow key and that'll stop the "countdown" and you'll have time to check all the options. One should be labelled Windows or something to that effect. If it was the text install, I don't remember right off what to type to get a whole list, but I know if you boot into Mandrake and type "lilo" it'll save any changes made (you don't actually have to make any changes) and it'll say what labels it added, and would have a * next to the default label (probably called linux). So take note if anything resembling windows shows up, see exactly how it's labelled (i.e. win, windows, win2k, whatever), and next time at the LILO prompt type that in exactly and it should boot to windows.

If it didn't detect Windows, it shouldn't be too hard to add it in. Open up your /etc/lilo.conf file and add something like:

other=/dev/hde1
label=WinXP
table=/dev/hde
map-drive=0x80
to=0x81
map-drive=0x81
to=0x80

Least that's how mine reads. The other= should probably read other=/dev/hda1 since it sounds like windows is on the first partition (linux doesn't use drive letters...hda1 means the primary master drive's first partition, hda2 would mean primary master second partition...hdb1 would mean primary slave first partition, etc.). For table, try with /dev/hda and with /dev/hda1 (this example has windows on its own drive, no sharing...so I can't say right off if this needs to be just the drive, or the drive's partition). The map-drive= part, I wouldn't worry about that unless you had problems without it.

If all else fails, and you're SURE the windows partition is still good, and you made a bootable linux floppy during install, boot from your win2k cd, goto recovery console, and type "fixmbr" and possibly even "fixboot" just to be safe. This will restore the win2k mbr and boot files, which will let you boot into windows (but not to linux without the boot floppy you made). Once you're done being online and getting more help with doing the dual-boot, you can boot back to linux, change your /etc/lilo.conf, and run "lilo" without quotes...this will save your settings and linux will be in control when you boot up (and hopefully it'll let you choose windows this time too).

#3 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 09:32 PM

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Well iv done it now i have lost everything im so angry im totaly giving up the idea of hosting my own site and instead im going to live in a budist retreat.

well basicly linux is great but it i had a few compatibility problems so it was no good for my laptop.

i could not boot into windows at all my hdd was 14gig its now about 7.5 for some reason and the only os i could get to install was win 98 im so unhappy.

i think mabey all my stuff is still there somewere in thoses other gigs that are missing but i have no idea how to get them back even after fdisking there still gone.

ooooooo some one please make it all go away

#4 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, first rule, always backup. No matter how careful you are, something can always go wrong.

Second, installing win98 over the original partition probably lost whatever was there. Never re-install an OS on a partition you want to recover. Ok, I've done this myself before and was still able to retrieve some data, but don't count on it. Unless you have a term paper your life depends on, I wouldn't bother.

It's probably showing as 7gig now because the linux partition is still there. Or possibly, but not probably...if your win2k partition was ntfs and you didn't delete it, maybe you just wiped our linux partition and win98 is still there...win2k may still be there in that case. Did you try recovery console? Start a linux install but stop at the partitioning point. What partitions do you see? It should tell you if it's FAT32, NTFS, etc. If worse comes to worse, you can use that to delete whatever extra partition is lingering, and you can start over. Partition Magic is also good at this, though if you had that to begin with I doubt you'd be here now :(

If you try again, I would recommend backing up first, installing linux on a spare hard drive if available...take your windows drive out if you're worried about it...if you need to have both on the same drive then use partition magic to do the partitioning first, then install linux on the empty partition.

#5 watts3000

watts3000

stranger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 08:19 AM

Ouch...any resolution Smith?

#6 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 02:34 PM

Well sort of i have managed to get win2k back on but i have lost everything i do back up my files every few weeks so its not as bad as it could have been i guess.

Its allways the files you never think to back up that are the most important though and there the ones i lost.

My brother has just finished a night class in Linux SuSe so im going to ask him to install that for me next month.

Im just a bit mad that after all that messing about getting my web site hosted from home iv lost it.

Ho Hum......... 1 strange thing though i have installed partition magic 8 and got back my missing gig's (they were wiped completley) BUT the partition i have installed win2k on (the same one that i lost win2k from in the first place) is displaying as 2 partitions in partition magic 8 1st=primary 2nd=logical i have no idea what that means but im to scared to touch it although its odd because it says my hdd is 14 gig but when you add up the partitions in PM8 it adds up to about 21 gig.

im just going to leave it for now though it works and thats good enough for me.

I have calmed down a bit now and decided to start the whole web site again.

#7 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:29 PM

I don't like using logical partitions. Basically it sounds like you have one primary partition, and one logical. One logical partition can hold several extended partitions (hope I haven't confused the terminology...maybe it's the extended partitions that hold logical ones...someone correct me on this?). Anyways it's listed as 8gig twice because you have one 8gig partition holding another 8gig partition within it, more or less.

Some ancient OS's had problems with more than one or so primary partition, but I never had a problem using win98 or up with all primary partitions. Haven't tried win95 or below, so I can't say about them.

#8 MaxxRezz

MaxxRezz

JEDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 06:03 AM

Erm.... ok thanks so is it ok to leave it well alone and pretend everything is lovely?

#9 Josetann

Josetann

admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, it should be fine :) It's just that I prefer primary partitions so if you had to redo it again for whatever reason, I'd pick two primary partitions instead.