- - - - -

:unsure: Which Linux OS is the best right now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_:D The Onion_*

Guest_:D The Onion_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2002 - 01:02 PM

Hi guys.. :)

Which Linux OS is the best/powerful among these Red Hat 8.0 Pro, SuSE 8.1 Pro, and Mandrake now?? :unsure:

I have a redhat 7.3 currently installed, and I just bought a SuSE 8.1 Pro,
I'm not sure if I did a right choice that's worth my money... :huh:

Thx for reading this B)

#2 Josetann

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:24 PM

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Personally I prefer Mandrake 9.0. I've used RedHat pretty extensively (Manrake has its roots in RedHat btw) and have used some of the other distros but not extensively.
  • Damjeabsbib likes this

#3 Guest_the onion_*

Guest_the onion_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:00 PM

thanks for the reply :)

i'm planning to build some servers with my linux machine ...
like web server, ftp, but i'm new to linux ^_^ , also i'm gonna install that new SuSE box on my other harddrive -_-

i actually followed the book to complete all the steps for building a simple webserver in redhat 7.3,
but i'm having a problem that it can only be seen locally on LAN...
my network is behind a huge NAT with only 1 outgoing WAN IP.
and NATing is controlled by an admin(don't know who he is) in my apartment building :wacko:

(same thing when i use msn messenger to send/receive files, the error message shows that I'm behind NAT and connection can't be made)

is there a way to get around with NAT to solve these problems?
help's appericated.. :rolleyes: :P

(i just love these smilie icons, i hope i will make a php for my webserver also :) )

#4 Josetann

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:27 PM

You have to get your own ip for it to work on the outside. If you can't, you have to at least get certain ports to route to your specific ip, so it appears as though you have the static ip. I doubt they'd do that though. So look into getting a static ip.

#5 MrT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 08:20 PM

so what exactly do I need to do with NAT thing...
should I ask my network admin to give me permission on certain ports forward to me? or some sorts?

I know I might end up getting my own static ip, but it seems impossible cuz the network is already mounted for users in my apartment building (it comes with no monthly connection charges for people who live here :) )
seems like the NAT is the downside of it though :(

if my admin gives me certain ports forwarded, other people may end up having problem with network right? :unsure: or is it a solvable problem :o ?

Thanks for reading this :D

#6 Josetann

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 08:56 PM

Yes, you need certain ports forwarded to you. It shouldn't affect the others, but it is possible. Static IP is best if you can work that out. If they have some spare ip's it shouldn't be a problem for them to set it up for you, maybe charge a few extra $$$ per month.

#7 doomtroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

I have found Slackware 10 to be one of the best distros so far...but you need alot of background on linux/unix as it is not as user friendly as the rest...VERY solid though...2nd only to debian

#8 littleme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:45 AM

how about red hat?

#9 i_and_identity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

i think it really depends on what ur doing, but here's my quarters-worth anyway. For general home use- Fedora 4. For advanced use - Slackware 10 or Gentoo. Mandrake (or Mandriva, wateva there callin' themselves now) is just a resource monopoliser. If your looking to run da penguin on a slower computer, say celeron 400mhz, there is a really good distro called Yoper, which is equally as good as Fedora or Mandrake, it just doesn't hog a whole heap of resources. http://www.yoper.com

Hope this helps
Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

For God's Sake, stop using Micro$oft's stuff - it has security like a piece of swiss cheese!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 acbella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

I am also new to the whole linux thing. I was actually thinking about putting linux (knoppix) to run it from the cd to see if it will work on my other pc. Although I have a question for those that do know more about linux. I know that to before actually installing it you need to do disk defrag and all that. Well I know that the defrag on the pc i am talking about is near impossible to do. So i was thinking instead of struggling through that to get a Gdisk (or fdisk whichever you may know it as) but could i still install linux if i did that instead. of course after i make sure linux will work on the pc i have.

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:54 AM

SuSE Linux 10.00 is what I run now, and for beginners, I would recommend this or Ubuntu Linux which is supposed to be easy to use.

#12 Smithyyyyy

Ban related to hack

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:24 AM

Mandrake 9.0.

Starting a Fresh

Transactions -

Attempted to buy a level 81 with 99 cooking from r4n3 p4r3 (He went first . . . Found out account had recovs)
Sold 110M for $550 To "Guest" He went FIrst . . . (Successful)

None Now

Transfers -

None Now

Freebies -

Gave Pooner Poo A Free Sig (Success Tipped Me 30k)
Training For Twiztid (Bad Spelling) (Pending)

Only Msn - [email protected] (Change 0 For 0)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 smittastical

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

he already said hes doin servers so i would suggest unbuntu as well...decent os with user friendly interface...