- - - - -

Bypassing WinXP serial check

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 05:03 PM

like in win2k u can bypass the serial chek when ur installing im wondering if theres a way to do the same with windows xp thx

#2 A+Net+MCP

A+Net+MCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:19 AM

No you can't bypass entering the product key. Once you activate XP a file is created in windows/system32 folder. Are you trying to bypass activation? :ph34r:
CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP-XP Professional

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.4 @1.53, Thermalright SLK700, Abit KT7A, 900MB PC133, WD 80G SE, Acomdata 160G Ext. S.B Audigy, Pioneer DVR-110, Yamaha 24/10/40, Sony 16X DVD, ATI 9700Pro A-I-W. Samsung 755DF. 3DMark01SE score:10335 3DMark03 score: 4483 My Spec-V web page

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:21 AM

not the activation, just to install xp without enter a cd key l˝iek an auto insertion,. like in win98 or win2k

#4 A+Net+MCP

A+Net+MCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:31 AM

<_< As far as I know you need to put in a cd key. Can't you get CD Key from someone else?

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.4 @1.53, Thermalright SLK700, Abit KT7A, 900MB PC133, WD 80G SE, Acomdata 160G Ext. S.B Audigy, Pioneer DVR-110, Yamaha 24/10/40, Sony 16X DVD, ATI 9700Pro A-I-W. Samsung 755DF. 3DMark01SE score:10335 3DMark03 score: 4483 My Spec-V web page

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:46 AM

i do have a cd key but id like to know if theres a way to make the instalation without asking for a cd key like the win2k bypass key metod

#6 A+Net+MCP

A+Net+MCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:00 AM

:huh: Please tell me why it's so important that you don't enter a cd key.

#7 classified

classified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:23 AM

There is a manager in the deploy.cab file in the Support folder on the XP cd.
Extract the files from the .cab to a folder and read the deploy.chm file.

It explains how to do an unattended install which can be customised to
only insert a CD-Key..

Classified

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 08:17 AM

have u ever do that before? can u explain me?

#9 CJTech

CJTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 10:53 AM

I have to enter a product code even when I use Microsoft's OPK toolkit.

#10 WhatBackHand

WhatBackHand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 05:36 AM

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this is in but...

In WinXPPro I'd also like to know how to bypass the serial number entry whilst doing a fully unnattended install from CD. I'm not trying to bypass the registration or activation, just to automatically install from CD. Then I can activate once installed. This works a treat for Win2k, but there's something different in XP, guess it's related to activation.

I've been fiddling with slipstreaming and modifying the winnt.sif file for days but have not been able to get it fully automatic. Slipstreaming is sorted, adding hardware detection is sorted (I think!), but automatic install isn't.

Without a winnt.sif file I get asked all the usual questions, but not for a serial number until installation is complete and then into the activation routine. I'm just trying to make the same thing happen, but to automate the answers.

Anybody got any ideas or experience of this in XP?

#11 Jason Badon

Jason Badon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 10:28 PM

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this is in but...

In WinXPPro I'd also like to know how to bypass the serial number entry whilst doing a fully unnattended install from CD.  I'm not trying to bypass the registration or activation, just to automatically install from CD.  Then I can activate once installed.  This works a treat for Win2k, but there's something different in XP, guess it's related to activation.

I've been fiddling with slipstreaming and modifying the winnt.sif file for days but have not been able to get it fully automatic.  Slipstreaming is sorted, adding hardware detection is sorted (I think!), but automatic install isn't.

Without a winnt.sif file I get asked all the usual questions, but not for a serial number until installation is complete and then into the activation routine.  I'm just trying to make the same thing happen, but to automate the answers.

Anybody got any ideas or experience of this in XP?

If I understand the question correctly this is how to install Windows XP with out entering the serial.

1.)
Go here and download Nero 6 http://www.nero.com/...traedition.html

2.)
Go here and it will show you how to make a Win XP bootable cd using Nero 6. http://www.betaplace.co.uk/bootcd.asp

3.)
After you move over your files. make a text file named winnt.sif

put the information below in the file and edit it to suit you needs. then put it in the I386 folder in you compalation. burn your cd and you can boot up off the cd. you will be asked a few question that you can just hit enter on and you will never be asked to input your serial # providing you have entered the correct serial in the winnt.sif answer file.

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
Repartition=Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
ExtendOemPartition=1
ConfirmHardware=Yes
OemFilesPath=..\$OEM$

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=10
OemSkipWelcome=1
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1

[UserData]
ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
FullName="PerUser"
OrgName="MyOrg"
ComputerName=*

[Display]
ConfigureAtLogon=1
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
Xresolution=768
Vrefresh=75
AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=303

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale=00000409
UserLocale=00000409
InputLocale=0409:00000409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=0

[GuiRunOnce]
;Command0=c:\temp\RunOnceSetup.exe

4.)
If you want to start the setup in windows the create a batch file enter in the below command and add it to your XP cd root and click on it to install

\I386\winnt.exe unattend:\I386\winnt.sif

I hope this helps I use it and works great for me.

#12 Guest_Ehsanulhaq_*

Guest_Ehsanulhaq_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2003 - 11:33 PM

like in win2k u can bypass the serial chek when ur installing im wondering if theres a way to do the same with windows xp thx

#13 WhatBackHand

WhatBackHand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 04:00 PM

Jason,
thanks for the reply, but your winnt.sif is largely the same as mine. I've experimented some more...

If I do not have a winnt.sif I get asked all the usual questions, but not for key. If I have any winnt.sif AT ALL, all questions are automatically answered EXCEPT I get asked for a licence key :( . Any key I include in .sif or add manually is invalid. If I change the OEM options in the .sif I get asked for the CD Key (yellow label) or the Volume Licence Key, but never for the "normal retail" key :angry: .

I thought I had a retail CD, but I might have an OEM version and this may be keyed somehow different. I'm going to compare CDs, or more precesely the I386 directories as this is all I've copied, at work tomorrow :unsure: .

Unless of course you or someone else can inform me otherwise.

Starting to get a bit hacked of at this now. It was so easy with Win2k, almost trivial you might say compared to this. If it is the fact that the OEM version is different I might go and find a short pier and go for a long walk..... :(

Chris

#14 WhatBackHand

WhatBackHand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 03:37 PM

OK, I've compared a retail XP disk and my "OEM" disk. The I386 directories are similar, and I've convinced myself the differences are due to SP differences. When I apply the same SP to both directories I get no differences.

So why can't I automate my XP install? Now completely out of ideas.

Chris

#15 Guest_XP new to it_*

Guest_XP new to it_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2003 - 03:13 PM

I know this is not the same thread, but, i would like to know if the Windows XP Pro Disk Kit KEYLESS CD (Full Product), is used without a key (serial #)? is it a corporate OS? I found that it sell for $ 27.00 at Vio software.

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:04 AM

Dude, you're working with the wrong file...

You have to edit the setupp.ini file in the i386 folder. there should be this line in the file:

Pid=518822 335
(it's actually one number the space is for clarity)

replace the 335 with 270 for volume licensing, OEM for OEM, and leave as is for normal retail. You will still have to put in the serial.

#17 Guest_rayve_*

Guest_rayve_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

does anyone know how i can put my gatewat xp cd on my compaq presario without having to buy a retail version.

#18 Guest_Alex Constandinou_*

Guest_Alex Constandinou_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:44 AM

Creating a 'winnt.sif' file should be done using the 'setupmgr' program that is included with the 'XP SP1 Deployment Tools' CAB file.

A complete unattended install including hotfixes & drivers can be made by following instructions on the following site:

http://www.msfn.org/unattended/xp

It may be time consuming but well worth the effort . . .

#19 Guest_azman_MV_*

Guest_azman_MV_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:16 AM

well u can by pass the windows serial.. but u need to know it..
if I am getting your ques correct.. it is to automate the entry of the code if so do this..
in the windowsXP setup CD,., goto the support folder and u will find "deploy.exe". it does the work for you... it creates a winnt.sif file.. in addition you can look for "unattend.txt" in your windowsxpCD.. it is a sample file.. it will tell you how to do it... it makes installation much much easier and headache free... set it up correctly.. and u can put the cd in and go out.. when u come back it done for you..
hope I helped..
azman

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:13 AM

Dude, you're working with the wrong file...

You have to edit the setupp.ini file in the i386 folder. there should be this line in the file:

Pid=518822 335
(it's actually one number the space is for clarity)

replace the 335 with 270 for volume licensing, OEM for OEM, and leave as is for normal retail. You will still have to put in the serial.

this works on a 2k version of windows but not on the XP version.
I also would like to know how to do it on a XP version.

I heard putting a winnt.sif in the i386 folder and rebuning it would work... havend tryed this