• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 bluey2

bluey2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:48 PM

Hi, I am trying to upgrade the memory on a Dimension 8100, Dell point me on their support website to Kingston (UK Company). They charge ridiculous amounts for memory yet when you search for RDR Ram on Dabs.Com you can get a 256 non parity stick for 90! Can anyone clarify what ram the 8100 supports? I have used the Dell upgrade service and it did not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • hanson200, tureeyk and CrinkiGrada like this

#2 CJTech

CJTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:45 PM

Your system has RDRAM or also known as Rambus. The sticks have to be installed in pairs (equal size). Go to your local Best Buy, CompUSA or another computer super center and ask for Rambus PC800 ram. You can also buy it on Ebay .

#3 Guest_matty_*

Guest_matty_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:55 PM

:o
funny you should talk bout memory upgrade as i have a dell dimention 8100,
i have 256mb of rdram (rambus) to upgrade to 512mb cost bout 270 through dell,crucial dont do em cos they cant get them cheap enough.

#4 burri8

burri8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 07:38 PM

I cant get dell.com to tell me where to go inside the computer to upgrade or replace memory. Where exactly is the memory located for the Dell 8100 Dimension Computer? tks

#5 Guest_arrsen_*

Guest_arrsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:06 PM

When U look inside Your machine U will see four memory slots, U got probably two of them free (just safety sticks). If U take those sticks off, U can fit two memory sticks (must be two identical capacity RAMBUS). I think the cheapest are on www.pcnextday.co.uk ;)

#6 Guest_GBDIM8100_*

Guest_GBDIM8100_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:42 AM

Hi,

I also have a Dimension 8100 1.3Mhz, with 128MB as standard. I suppose it is two sticks of 64MB ?

Can I remove them to add to 256MB, as 500MB is the maximum allowed with Windows Me.

Is that right ?

Many thanks.

#7 Guest_JimC_*

Guest_JimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:13 AM

Your are right on your assumption.
With WinME the max is 512MB RAM.
Goes up to 2GB with Win 2000 (and I think XP).
The kingston part numbers are:
KTD-DM800/512
KTD-DM800E/1024 for the 1GB ECC kit
KTD-DM800E/512 for the 512k ECC kit

goodluck

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

I also have a Dimension 8100 1.3Mhz, with 128MB as standard. I suppose it is two sticks of 64MB ?

Can I remove them to add to 256MB, as 500MB is the maximum allowed with Windows Me.

Is that right ?

Many thanks.

B) change me for xp me is crap you are going to jump of happines i have the same problems :blink: ;)

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

Is that right ?

Many thanks.

B) change me for xp me is crap you are going to jump of happines i have the same problems :blink: ;)

i forgot the low of windows xp is that you may have to replace and upgrade some
programs drivers. you can get most of them in ebay and save big$. belive me you won't regret. my computer is 95% ebay and i save around $940.00 in my dell upgrade. good luck
[COLOR=red] B) ;)

#10 Guest_None_*

Guest_None_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:52 AM

i got the same problem. dell.com gets the parts from kingstons.com and they charge about $500 for a 512MB and about $250 for a 256MB. i search on google for memory boosters and guess wot i find? the SECOND result links to a website which sells me a 256 for $109.50.
1 problem though, coz i use my family's comp i can not afford it. i get about 10 per week so am searching for a cheaper upgrade for my Dimension 8100 with 128MB and Windows ME.

#11 Guest_Pure_*

Guest_Pure_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:10 AM

Well what about people that live in canada, where should someone go in canada to get that option of upgrading.

On that note, what about upgrading to dell xp? any way around it besides getting a upgrade from dell?

Thanks

#12 Guest_blewer_*

Guest_blewer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:35 AM

Hello :) 1st post

Is it possible to keep your existing memory and just add more on top?

For example, 128mb RAM
4 slots on PC

2 slots have original 2 x 64mb

Then you add 2 x 256mb

Will this make any difference or is it better to get rid of the original RAM and just replace with bigger MB????????

blewer :)

#13 Guest_David 32 Teeth_*

Guest_David 32 Teeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:27 AM

Regarding the RAMBUS Rimms for the Dell Dimension 8100.

I have two Dimension 8100; one with 128 MB of RAM and PentiumIV 1.3 GHz, the second one has 256 MB RAM and PentiumIV 1.4 GHz, both using WinME as operating system.

What I have done will probably answer several questions posted on this site:

I have increased the memory on the 1.3 GHz by adding the 256 from the second Dimension. I have now all 4 slots taken, i.e. 2x64=128 + 2x128=256 for a total of 384 MB. As advised by Dell technical people themselves (and as found out on some techical magazines) I have placed the larger Rimms nearest the processor.
In other words I have the 2x128MB nearest the processor, followed by the 2x64.
Although the two sets of Rimms were produced by differet manufacturers (Toshiba and Samsung) they work perfectly well. They came with the original PCs and were therefore compatible with the Dell system!

And this brings us onto the second point: compatibility with the Dell system.

As many of the readers on this site, I thought that the Rimms sold by Dell were too expensive (although Dell has now greatly reduced their price!) and so went looking for a cheaper alternative when trying to increase the RAM on the second 8100 I have.

I bought 2x256MB Rimms from Kingston memory (I bought their KVR memory, i.e. Kingston Value RAM). I could only buy a max of 512MB otherwise I would be forced to change from WindowsME to WindowsXP - 1) I cannot afford it at the moment, and 2) I use Windows XP at work, and honestly it does not strike me as being that much better than WinME.

Anyway going back to the memory issue ... I installed the 512MB of KVR ( 150 from DABS) and soon I started having problems - huge problems. When using Excel, it seemed as if I was using a PentiumIII with 32MB of RAM; when using Adobe Illustrator the system became very slow and kept getting stuck.

Went looking for help on the Internet and found out that unfortunately Dell (and other computer manufacturers) set up the BIOS in such a way that it can recognise if the RAM being used is of a type "authorised" by Dell.
Unfortunately KVR (although produced by Kingston) is not.

Cutting the story short. I have returned the KVR to the store where I purchased it and I am now looking for Kingston RAM specifically designed for a Dimension 8100 with WinME as operating system. In other words, I am looking to purchase 4x128MB or 2x256MB Rimms.
I can only buy up to a maximum of 512MB since WinME "officially" can only recognise 512MB RAM (although you can always tweak the settings ...).

UNFORTUNATELY Kingston has ceased production of these Rimms. By the way the Kingston part number for the 2x256 PC800 NON-ECC Rimms for the Dimension8100 is: KTD-DM800/512.

However Kingston still produces the 2x512 Rimms, but this would force me to upgrade the operating system to WinXP. Still not ready for it!

Anyway Kingston has ceased production of the Rimms I am looking for; DABS (here in London, UK) seemed to store them. I ordered them 3 weeks ago ... and I am still waiting for them.
My impression is that DABS do not have them either, have contacted Kingston and have found out they are not produced anymore. They keep telling me they will be delivered within the next few days ...

I now plan to buy them directly from Dell ... hopefull they should still have a couple of them lying around. By the way the Dell part # is IM-342ZA88. The price quoted by Dell UK on their website is 229.90 + 9.40 (del.) = 239.30.
Not much more expensive than DABS - the latter is supposed to be the cheapest of the cheapest.
DABS sell them for 228 +approx 5 delivery

So the final message is:
- if you have a Dimension 8100 and plan to increase the RAM, do not go for a cheap alternative. Dell does not forgive you.
- either hurry up in buying the correct Kingston memory from Dell - the only still storing it probably (and for a price not too different from other retailers - see above). Given the difficulty in finding it, I suggest buying the maximum amount of memory i.e. 512MB
- or consider upgrading to WinXP - however you will have a cost of OS upgrade and memory upgrade. Furthermore you will be forced to buy 2x512 Rimms!

P.S. if you already have WinXP as the OS then all of the above doesn't really apply to you.
Kingston still sell the 2x512 PC800 Rimms.

Good luck

#14 Guest_blewer_*

Guest_blewer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:16 AM

I just bought 2x 256mb Kingston RAMBUS from ebay for 98.

Good buy.

My pc is now so much faster :)

#15 Guest_Lisa_*

Guest_Lisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:28 AM

First, thanks for this post! I just got city of heroes and my 256 of RAM is just not cutting it. I was going to upgrade my entire computer, but I've decided to settle with just RAM for now. I was looking on ebay (best buy.com didn't have the correct RAM) and I saw a few different types-I saw the PC800 rambus, but there was something called ECC (and non-ECC). Can anyone tell me what the difference means and if it is worth more $$?? I really appreciate it!

#16 Guest_Rob_*

Guest_Rob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:47 AM

ECC stands for Error corrction code
NECC is Non Error corrction code

Dell only shipped ECC memory with the 8100 if customer asked for it
This is more expensive

Look for 184 pin Non Ecc PC800 Rimms

Yu have to install the memory in pairs , so make sure you buy a pair of eqal rating

#17 Guest_Saul_*

Guest_Saul_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:40 AM

Hi. I have a Dimension 8100 and have a big problem, the pc is a P4 1.4 and is too slow, a remplace the windows to windows 98, or XP and original was with windows me, but still too slow, I already change the Hard Drive, the CD-ROM, the memory was 128 rambus 800Mhz and chage to 256 rambus 600 mhz but still too slow, for example for reinstallation windows xp almost take 3 hours, and when finish run windows too slow.

I installed windows 98 and still slow.

The CPU I already test and is ok, I think that the motherboard is ok.

I remember that the power supply fan was damage or stop, and the pc get very hot, I open the Power supply and put some oil to the power supply fan cooler and the fan working fine.

Now Do you think that the problem is the Power Supply?

I need some help.

Thanks.

#18 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Attn:Saul

You need to check in Device Manager how much power each device is using by adding the total watts for each device. Than for power supply multiply volt in the circuit by the amp in each device to get total watts for power. If the devices are higher than the power supply replace the supply with one that can handle that amount.

#19 SpaceSquad

SpaceSquad

Enthusiast

• News Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:06 PM

he posted that over a year ago

;)