- - - - -

svchost error in win 2000 pro

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:33 AM

I keep getting a svchost.exe error popup, I run fix tools for worms but none found so I the dr watson and it says svchost c0000096 <no symbols>. how do I stop this from happening as I cannot access windows in c: drive as there is no icons showing and my control panel icons got to the left side of the screen. please help all info accepted and apreciated :rolleyes:

#2 Guest_zanda_*

Guest_zanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2003 - 03:03 PM

Hi! Well I have the same problem with this svchost error in win 2000 pro. I have still not been able to solve this problem, if someone could also reply to me with the solution to this error. Zanxx

You can answer me at: andamandaEmail Removed

#3 Guest_Craig_*

Guest_Craig_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2003 - 05:19 PM

I had that problem aswell and the only thing I think it was,was that msblast worm.I dont know if that is what it was,but I dont have it now. :rolleyes: Download the fixes from microsoft.

#4 Guest_Kev_*

Guest_Kev_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:55 AM

This really does sound like blaster worm or one of the many variants. You can get a removal tool from Sophos antivirus website.

#5 Guest_zig_*

Guest_zig_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:59 AM

i as well get this error. i will usually be on line when it occurs. after i get the error i am no longer able to send email, it give me a not enough memory message. it will also affect my ability to maneuver throughout the web. i have to shut down and restart again. i did the blaster fixit and it said it removed the worm. it then said i had to do a patch but it did not have one available for win2000pro. im at a loss. if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:54 PM

check under c:/winnt/system32/wins
see if there is a file there named SVCHOST.exe or DLLHOST.exe
check out teh properties, see if it has been signed anmarked with the author, version etc. and the size, a real svchost should be 4-6K, the virus version is usually 10K, also the virus one will not have proper authors/signature/version etc, find and run the msblast fix

#7 Guest_dbageek_*

Guest_dbageek_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:03 PM

This is the msblaster. I applied MS003-026 QB823980 to the machine then rebooted and the problem went away. We are still having problems within the military community with the msblaster and welchia worms.

#8 Guest_zig_*

Guest_zig_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:43 PM

okay. i checked svchost.exe. it was authored by microsoft. however. the file is 19.2kb. i did run the fixit and it said i had removed it. i have ran it again several times and now it tells me it does not find it. i seem to be having lasting effects though. hey dbageek, sorry, youre talking to the "non programmer sort" here. :-) what is MS003-026 QB823980? i don't remember opening any strange attachments. is that how you get the blaster? thanks for your help.

#9 [email protected]_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:43 AM

go to the following link and download the Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows 2000 and run it:

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

I had the same problem and it went out completely after running this patch.

if the link is not active, do the following:
1- go to www.microsoft.com
2. under "Resources" on the left side: click downloads
3. under "product/technology" chose "Windows 2000"
4. under "Keywords" type "worm" then GO
5. the first article is "Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows 2000" click on it.
6. in the right side you will find "Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows 2000" download it and run it.

thats it

#10 Guest_Charlie Norway_*

Guest_Charlie Norway_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:28 PM

I'm sorry guys, but I'm experiencing the sam SVCHOST error, and the MSBlaster is not the answer.
I took my pc completely down- remove partition - new partition - format - clean Win2KPro install(Original WIN2K CD-No Crackwarez), and I still have the problem.
I'm running an ASUS P2B motherboard with (i think) the latest BIOS (BX2i1012).
I've tried innstalling all the updates from WinUpdate, but still with no success..?
As other "repliers" write, the machine keeps torpedo my functions after this ERROR occur..Print Out won't work, network properties won't work etc etc..
A SOULUTION will be met with a big hoooraaaayyy...
Best regards

#11 Guest_Bernard_*

Guest_Bernard_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:49 PM

Hi Guys I got the same problem. got this worm which I have cleared but same problem kept coming back. I read from some forums that Win 2000 SP4 may be able to solve the problem. Gonna try that tonight....

#12 Guest_Deimos_*

Guest_Deimos_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:50 AM

same f*ckin problem here... svchost is bugging, and pissing me off

i already installed blasterpatch and Win2000 sp4

what am i to do?

Deimos

#13 Guest_BWauldron_*

Guest_BWauldron_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:23 AM

Same problem here after a upgrade on my laptop. If anyone finds the fix please post.

It is not the blaster worm doing this, it is in the way memory is handled in Win2k. I have two other computers running same OS and no error message. Seems like it may be a initial install file loading error or dll error.

#14 Guest_David Caulfield_*

Guest_David Caulfield_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:24 PM

Great news have much searching I found a solution that works!

I was getting the svchost error whilst on the net like everyone else recently. It does seem to be due to the blaster worm. Here is what to do, it takes time but it did work.

Download and run service pack 4, or at least have service pack 3 installed. It takes upto 2 hours to download so be patient.
http://www.microsoft...s/servicepacks/

Next download and run the BlasterWorm patch for 2k:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

This really did work so its well worth giving it a go.

Let me know how you got on lovely people.

Cheers :rolleyes:

#15 Guest_David Caulfield_*

Guest_David Caulfield_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:27 PM

Great news after much searching I found a solution that works!

I was getting the svchost error whilst on the net like everyone else recently. It does seem to be due to the blaster worm. Here is what to do, it takes time but it did work.

Download and run service pack 4, or at least have service pack 3 installed. It takes upto 2 hours to download so be patient.

[email protected]

Cheers :rolleyes:

#16 Guest_jd_*

Guest_jd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

I am having the same svchost problem and I've tried download sp4. I cannot even get my computer to run sp4 because of all the problems that the svchost has caused. help
jd

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2003 - 12:28 PM

I have been suffering the same probs and tried the 2 fixes. It seems to have done something to make my connection last for longer, though this seems to have slowed my connection at times from a 'supposed' half meg broadband connection- to what seems like dial-up speed, and if left for ages it still loses connection and cable modem needs rebooting before proxy settings etc.. can be relocated by IE5. This is becoming really annoying!
Is it possible that its a combination of MSblaster and a bad install of 2K pro? (for some reason all files in i386 folder could not be installed from Win CD on install so had to skip them all. Put SPK4 over it though.If that helped??
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
j

#18 Guest_Guest_shreedeep_*

Guest_Guest_shreedeep_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

To solve this problem best is to install service pack 4 provided free by microsoft from their website.
then install its hotfix of msblast worm.
svchost error will be solved.

#19 Guest_CosmicCat_*

Guest_CosmicCat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:31 PM

:huh:
Thank you David Caulfield, your solution works for me.!

I recomend it, as David explain previously...Antivirus, Service Pack 4 +Blaster Worm Patch.

Good look..

Posted: Nov 15 2003, 05:27 PM

Great news after much searching I found a solution that works!

[email protected]

Cheers

#20 [email protected]_*

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:34 AM

i was facing the same errors with de svchost et etc
And the suggested option with service pack 4 and worm fix

did the trick at my system (w2000 prof)
:lol: :D
THX guys.