- - - - -

svchost error in win 2000 pro

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:48 PM

RE: svchost.exe error. I've read all the fixes but I am unable to sucessfully install SP3 or SP4. These service packs need to be installed before the patches or removal of the virus will work. Unfortunately in my case the install terminates before the process is completed ..Anyone else have this problem and a solution?

Thanks

#22 Guest_Willi_*

Guest_Willi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:24 PM

Great news after much searching I found a solution that works!

I was getting the svchost error whilst on the net like everyone else recently. It does seem to be due to the blaster worm. Here is what to do, it takes time but it did work.

Download and run service pack 4, or at least have service pack 3 installed. It takes upto 2 hours to download so be patient.
http://www.microsoft...s/servicepacks/

Next download and run the BlasterWorm patch for 2k:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

This really did work so its well worth giving it a go.

Let me know how you got on lovely people.

[email protected]

Cheers :rolleyes:

I works..

Thank you David.

Non english user has to keep attention by download the BlasterWorm patch.

Only the patch in the right language works!! The patch is language sensitive.

Bye :D

#23 Guest_Rene_*

Guest_Rene_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:30 PM

:D Installing SP4 and then the blaster worm patch really fixes the problem.
My systems is finally functional again!!!
Thanks a bunch!!

#24 Guest_DocDiver_*

Guest_DocDiver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:40 PM

Hello everybody
I'm having the same problem with my Win 2000.
Does anybdy knows how to fix it??? :(
"Tanks" for all :D :D :D

#25 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 07:40 PM

hi people it's jay again
after much attempts at different suggestions, I have found out that the tactic that david gave works best I have downloaded sp4 & msblast.fix and now my machine is running sweet as a nut, I would suggest following the same tactic.

Thank you to everyone for there suggestions especially david much appreciated for the help of everyone thank u all. :D

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2003 - 03:49 PM

Thanks all... service pack 4 and hotfix did the trick!!

Thanks so much.. my sister's computer in Spain (I am visiting) has been driving me nuts!

You folks are tops in my book!

#27 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:02 AM

[FONT=Arial]me utepaa :( :( :)

#28 Guest_anurag_*

Guest_anurag_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2003 - 06:22 AM

I keep getting a svchost.exe error popup, I run fix tools for worms but none found so I the dr watson and it says svchost c0000096 <no symbols>. how do I stop this from happening as I cannot access windows in c: drive as there is no icons showing and my control panel icons got to the left side of the screen. please help all info accepted and apreciated :rolleyes:

I keep getting a svchost.exe error popup, I run fix tools for worms but none found so I the dr watson and it says svchost c0000096 <no symbols>. how do I stop this from happening as I cannot access windows in c: drive as there is no icons showing and my control panel icons got to the left side of the screen. please help all info accepted and apreciated :rolleyes:

#29 Guest_BillieJean_*

Guest_BillieJean_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2003 - 03:11 PM

I've tried to remove some services and adding some services. it seems problem solved without any patch or sp packs.

i will return 2 u with fresh news.

#30 Guest_BillieJean_*

Guest_BillieJean_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2003 - 03:13 PM

:) it was appeared when i posted. problem is not solved!

#31 Guest_Doug_*

Guest_Doug_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:47 PM

There is a possibility that you have the coolwebsearch trojan and not msblast. CWS can cause svchost problems. Wander over to http://www.spywareinfo.com/ and look around the forums. These folks seem to have a handle on CWS.

#32 Guest_taveira_*

Guest_taveira_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:22 AM

:P you know what I did when I had that problem??

downloaded Startup Control Center (don't know the link but I think it's easy to find!) and just removed msblast.exe and mslaugh.exe form windows startup list then deleted these same files....problem solved...no microsoft buggy patches needed!!

lol as easy as 1...2...3...

"Portuguese do it easier"

#33 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:57 AM

PPsss.. get zonealarm free to stop the system from accepting connections to the pc( that slow it down). allso if it comes to it reinstall 2k and tell it to put windows files in a diferent folder e.g win2ksystem then instlal zoenalarm free and then go onlien and downlaod patches and Serv Pack 4 :-)

#34 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

hey . taveira.. do u have to doo it daily? it will continue reinstallign itself through port 135 daily. :-p "Portugese want to be too different" missing the point of the patch. to prevent it from downloading.

#35 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

O the link for the startup control center is www.mlin.net and u can downlaod and extract to windows folder and name it msconfig for next lamer that thinks hes a pc tech and goes to run and types msconfig .. wont make him look foolish on 2k

#36 Guest_pill_*

Guest_pill_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:21 PM

with out question the sp4 solution

i found a simple way of going over it in:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319161

hope that can help!

thankx for the sp4 tip, in a way brought me to solve this mess!

#37 Guest_pill_*

Guest_pill_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

with out question the sp4 solution

i found a simple way of going over it in:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319161

hope that can help!

thankx for the sp4 tip, in a way brought me to solve this mess!

#38 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:43 AM

I had that very same problem not too long ago. Everytime I'd go online, svchost would crash. I talked to another friend of mine, who said that it could be hardware related. So, this is what I did. I have a 36 slot networking HUB next to my PC. I don't use it very often, so it sits there and my ethernet card sits in my PC. Everytime I'd access the internet, the ethernet card would attempt to do the same because WIN2KPro kept thinking that the Network HUB was active (hence, internet sharing among other PC's) and it'd crash. So I did a quick fix and disabled the ethernet card in Device Manager and since then, it stopped crashing and I've been running my PC smoothly. Maybe this would help you find your problem! I hope I helped a little bit. B)

#39 Guest_Sean_*

Guest_Sean_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:45 AM

I have run into this error at a few of my clients, in which case it was not the blaster virus, it was actually ad-ware software on the pc which was causing the svchost process to hang when on the internet or browsing your files on the local drive. I ended up downloading ad-ware 6.0 from download.com, made sure the software version was up to date, ran the scan, removed the ad-ware (and spy-ware). Problem was solved. :D

#40 Guest_Marc Casablancas_*

Guest_Marc Casablancas_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:37 AM

I've got the same problem, please see the following web to solve the problem. http://support.novel...gi?10051906.htm
Regards,
Marc