Jump to content


- - - - -

Homemade CD refurbisher that works!!!


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:53 AM

Here is what you need, this does work, ive tried it and amazingly it works...only one variable though...will explain.

Remember the old toothpaste trick?...lets speed that up.

Get the following.

1. plastic container that can hold water and another to hold solvent.
2. low grit toothpaste
3. water
4. (1) 1inch hose (2) 1/2inch rubber hoses
5. hot glue
6. wire or duct tape (optional)
7. disc doctor (plastic one with a handle to turn the cd...very common and cheap)
8. acetone (optional and not recommended for first time usage)

ok the disc doctor we all know doesnt work, it just doesnt work..its just a cleaner.

Ok find a disc doctor that has a handle to turn a cd (almost all of them are like this)

Cut a hole in the disc doctor big enough for a rubber hose. Put the rubber hose inside the hole just enough to stay in it. Fasten it with tape, or hot glue.

Take one container and mix 70% tooth paste with either alchol or lighter fluid to fill up the remaining 30% (lighter fluid cost more but works better).

Take other end of hose and feed the 2 smaller hose's into it. tape it off or glue it.

Take one of the smaller hose's and fasten it to the container holding your toothpaste/lighter fluid solvent.

Take the other smaller hose and fasten it to a container that is hold water.

Now put a cd in the disc doctor and fill up the containers, and start spinning away.

This WORKS!!!

Make sure you get toothpaste that is low in grindy grit stuff, but has enough to create friction....this part is up to your decision.

Optional, you can mix in acetone with your solvent. For those of you that dont know, if you just use acetone period it will melt your cd and never work again. So only mix in like 5-10% tops of acetone. This will help the resurfacing alot, but be warned, it can damage it.

When i get access to a scanner i will scan up a pic of this cd that im totally SHOCKED by. It's not perfect, no no dont think that. But this cd was so scracthed up that songs skipped horribly. Now it doesnt skip at all and i got it backed up into .mp3's. Also tried this with a game. I intentionaly scracthed it up and tried the method and it worked. Well i didnt try playing the game off the disc but i retried to copy the game image over and it worked...it wouldnt copy with the scratch's.

The water container is for safety reasons. With the water perpetually flushing the disc doctor it ensures that there is no grim build up.

#2 Guest_Space Between_*

Guest_Space Between_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:55 AM

OOPS, sorry forgot. The variable is the type of toothpaste you use, its a must to get the right kind. You dont need a specific kind, but a type of toothpaste in the general area of what is good.

I guess another variable would be using acetone. If you try that take a coaster cd and see what pure acetone does to a cd...this will get you a good understanding of how much you should add (not alot as you would see).